partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Practicalities (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Helpful hints / Useful tips
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Helpful hints / Useful tips  (Read 12543 times)
Rugby
Gold

« on: July 09, 2009, 10:29:05 PM »

Got any hints or tips to share.  It could be a product that you found that is useful for different things etc.  It doesn't have to be just for dancing.

Here is one my friend sent me.

Mosquito Spray...Worth a try

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well.. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby.  It is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days.. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.
During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:32:58 PM »

if you burn your skin, on a napkin put a soy sauce and put on a burned skin. wrap it around and leave it. after a while burning will stop and you'll not have a scar.   Wink

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:33:15 AM »

I find that if you put vicks on mosquito bites it helps with the itch.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »

I always have white vinegar on hand!

Kill bacteria in meats -
Marinating meat in Heinz Vinegar kills bacteria and tenderizes the meat. Use one-quarter cup vinegar for a two to three pound roast, marinate overnight, then cook without draining or rinsing the meat. Add herbs to the vinegar when marinating as desired.

Dissolve warts -
Mix one part Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar to one part glycerin into a lotion and apply daily to warts until they dissolve.

Remove stubborn stains from furniture upholstery and clothes -
Apply Heinz White Vinegar directly to the stain, then wash as directed by the manufacturer's instructions.

Grow beautiful azaleas -
Occasionally water plants with a mixture of two tablespoons Heinz White Vinegar to one quart water. Azaleas love acidic soil.

Relieve arthritis -
Before each meal, drink a glass of water containing two teaspoons Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar. Give this folk remedy at least three weeks to start working.

Kill unwanted grass -
Pour Heinz White Vinegar in crevices and between bricks.

Remove corns -
Make a poultice of one crumbled piece of bread soaked in one-quarter cup Heinz Vinegar. Let poultice sit for one-half hour, then apply to the corn and tape in place overnight. If corn does not peel off by morning, reapply the poultice for several consecutive nights.

Clean the hoses and unclog soap scum from a washing machine -
Once a month pour one cup of Heinz White Vinegar into the washing machine and run the machine through a normal cycle, without clothes.

Cure an upset stomach -
Drink two teaspoons Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar in one cup water to soothe an upset stomach.

Kill germs on bathroom fixtures -
Use one part Heinz Vinegar to one part water in a spray bottle. Spray the bathroom fixtures and floor, then wipe clean. Clean soap scum, mildew, and grime from bathtub, tile, and shower curtains. Simply wipe the surface with Heinz Vinegar and rinse with water.

Deodorize the air -
Heinz Vinegar is a natural air freshener when sprayed in a room.

Relieve itching -
Use a cotton ball to dab mosquito and other bug bites with Heinz Vinegar straight from the bottle.

Clean lime deposits and calcium sludge from an automatic drip coffee maker -
Once a month fill the reservoir with Heinz White Vinegar and run through the brew cycle. Rinse thoroughly with two cycles of cold water.

Relieve a sore throat -
Put two teaspoons of Heinz Vinegar in your humidifier.

Soothe sunburn pain -
Apply undiluted Heinz Vinegar to the burn.

Clean food-stained pots and pans -
Fill the pots and pans with Heinz White Vinegar and let stand for thirty minutes. Then rinse in hot, soapy water.

Clean rust from tools, bolts, and spigots -
Soak the rusted tool, bolt, or spigot in undiluted Heinz White Vinegar overnight.

Prevent bright colored clothes from fading -
Before putting the article in the washing machine, soak it in Heinz White Vinegar for ten minutes.

Keep a garbage disposal clean and smelling fresh -
Mix one cup of Heinz Vinegar in enough water to fill an ice cube tray, freeze the mixture, grind the cubes through the disposal, and flush with cold water.

Clean a toilet bowl -
Pour in one cup of Heinz White Vinegar, let it stand for five minutes, and flush.

Remove perspiration stains from clothes -
Apply one part Heinz White Vinegar to four parts water, then rinse.

Deodorize a room filled with cigarette smoke or paint fumes -
Place a small bowl of Heinz White Vinegar in the room.

Cure the hiccups -
Mix one teaspoon Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar in one cup of warm water, and drink.

Eliminate odors from used jars -
Rinse peanut butter and mayonnaise jars with Heinz White Vinegar.

Condition dry hair -
Shampoo, then rinse hair with a mixture of one cup Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar and two cups water. Vinegar adds highlights to brunette hair, restores the acid mantel, and removes soap film and sebum oil.

Clean mineral deposits from a steam iron -
Fill the water tank with Heinz White Vinegar. Turn the iron to the steam setting and steam-iron a soft utility rag to clean the steam ports. Repeat the process with water, then thoroughly rinse out the inside of your iron.

Remove light scorch marks from fabrics -
Rub lightly with Heinz White Vinegar, then wipe with a clean cloth.

Repel ants -
Use a spray bottle or mister filled with a solution of equal parts Heinz Vinegar and water around door jambs, window sills, water pipes, and foundation cracks.

Keep drains open -
Pour one-half box of old baking soda down the drain followed by one cup Heinz White Vinegar. When the bubbling stops, run the hot water.

Prolong and brighten propane lanterns -
Soak new wicks for several hours in Heinz White Vinegar and let them dry before inserting. Propane lanterns will burn longer and brighter on the same amount of fuel.

Remove decals or bumper stickers -
Soak a cloth in Heinz Vinegar and cover the decal or bumper sticker for several minutes until the vinegar soaks in. The decals and bumper stickers should peel off easily.

Deodorize a wool sweater -
Wash sweater, then rinse in equal parts Heinz Vinegar and water to remove odor.

Prevent lint from clinging to clothes -
Add one cup Heinz Vinegar to each wash load.

Prevent ice from forming on a car windshield overnight -
Coat the window with a solution of three parts Heinz White or Apple Cider Vinegar to one part water.

Prolong the life of flowers in a vase -
Add two tablespoons of Heinz White Vinegar plus three tablespoons of sugar per quart of warm water. Stems should be in three to four inches of water.

Prevent cracked hard-boiled eggs -
Add two tablespoons of Heinz White Vinegar per quart of water before boiling to prevent the eggs from cracking. The egg shells will also peel off faster and easier.

Clean windows -
Use undiluted Heinz Vinegar in a spray bottle. Dry with a soft cloth.

Eliminate unpleasant cooking odors in the kitchen -
Boil one tablespoon of Heinz White Vinegar with one cup of water.

Remove wallpaper -
Mix equal parts Heinz Vinegar and hot water. Use a paint roller to wet the paper thoroughly with the mixture. Repeat. Paper should peal off in sheets.

Eliminate animal urine stains from carpet -
Blot up urine, flush several times with lukewarm water, then apply a mixture of equal parts Heinz White Vinegar and cool water. Blot up, rinse, and let dry.

Relieve a cold -
Mix one-quarter cup Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar with one-quarter cup honey. Take one tablespoon six to eight times daily.

Deodorize a stale lunch box -
Soak a paper napkin in Heinz Vinegar and leave it inside the closed lunch box overnight.

Prevent soapy film on glassware -
Place a cup of Heinz White Vinegar on the bottom rack of your dishwasher, run for five minutes, then run though the full cycle. A cup of white vinegar run through the entire cycle once a month will also reduce soap scum on the inner workings.

Unclog a shower head -
Unscrew the shower head, remove the rubber washer, place the head in a pot filled with equal parts Heinz Vinegar and water, bring to a boil, then simmer for five minutes.

Relieve a cough -
Mix one-half cup Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar, one-half cup water, one teaspoon cayenne pepper, and four teaspoons honey. Take one tablespoon when cough acts up. Take another tablespoon at bedtime.

Retard patching plaster from drying -
Add one tablespoon white vinegar to the water when mixing plaster to slow the drying time.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »

gosh that is a list, but it is great stuff, so is bicarbonate of soda.. you can use that to brush your teeth and is great for stain removal

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »

Good stuff! Keep it up guys! I'll post when I find something useful I know.  Roll Eyes
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:39:47 PM »

what a list, DaLD.  Grin

couple of times i sat on a gum when i was in school. my mother than put the pants in a freezer for couple of hours, and than easily remove a gum or put a paper on top of the gum, and pass with an iron, the gum will stick to a paper.

cleaning a grill - when you finish grilling, cover a grill with aluminium foil and leave it like that.

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »

5 Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do

For all the folks with cell phones. (This should be printed and kept
in your car, purse, and wallet. Good information to have with you.)

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave
emergencies.  Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an
emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with
it:

FIRST
Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find Yourself
out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an
Emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to
Establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly, this number
112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND
Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy
someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys In the
car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell
phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot From
your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock
button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will
unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance
is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can
reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock
the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked  our car
over a cell phone!'

THIRD
Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys
*3370#. Your cell phone will restart with this reserve and the
instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get
charged when you charge your cell phone next time.

FOURTH
How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following
Digits on your phone:*#06#. A 15-digit code will appear on the screen.
This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it
somewhere safe.

If your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and
give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so
even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally
useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know
that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does
this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

And Finally.....

FIFTH
Free Directory Service for Cells

Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411
information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a
telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even
more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option,
simply dial:(800)FREE411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any
charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now.

This is the kind of information people don't mind receiving, so pass
it on to your family and friends.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »

I would recommend checking snopes.com to validate helpful tips that have been circulated via mass emailings.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »

Good site.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »

If you like salads but you always find yourself throwing out half of the head of lettuce when it spoils before you can eat it, start buying romaine instead of iceberg lettuce.  Romaine keeps in the fridge for several weeks.  And it's more nutritious.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »

If you like salads but you always find yourself throwing out half of the head of lettuce when it spoils before you can eat it, start buying romaine instead of iceberg lettuce.  Romaine keeps in the fridge for several weeks.  And it's more nutritious.

True statement.  Iceberg's basically worthless, nutrient-wise, not to mention almost any type of lettuce (or spinach) tastes better too.

Of course, if you're making salads for one, like I am, it's easier to skip the heads altogether and just buy the bagged stuff.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:53:46 AM »

Peel a banana from the bottom and you won't have to pick the little 'stringy things' off of it. That's how the primates do it.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 01:54:48 AM »

Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store.

If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 05:01:40 AM »

here's an ancient cure for your lettuce.  If its wilted put it in a bowl of water with a lump of coal.  I am not kidding, it will crisp up.
[I'm into an 'old but wise' thingy SmileySmiley]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: