partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 11:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Ideating - dancing while doing something else..
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ideating - dancing while doing something else..  (Read 1210 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: July 09, 2009, 01:10:50 PM »

Its a terrible word perhaps - and sounds a bit too close to idiot-ating for comfort but still, there is nothing like it.

What if you take a dance lesson and the, while at the office and sorting paperwork you run through the steps, and actions of your lesson (any dance).  Will that improve your dancing when you come to do it later?

Its a technique used by athletes - and sometimes you can see it such as with a downhill skier moving from side to side, and imagining the slope just before skiiing it.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »

when i worked in the office, i did that often. or even home. my parents and my brother will tell me to stop because i am boring already, but i kept going.  Grin

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:13:20 PM »

Heel pulls are great at turning around on the spot. ie. cell culture hood and centrifuge  Grin
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »

I do this.  I started it in dressage riding.  You have to remember these long routines and the horse's time is needed for training in other aspects besides just riding the routine over and over.  I worked technique with the horse and did the routines 20% of the time with him then 80% of the time by myself.  I would also draw it out on a piece of paper.  Here I walk, canter to there, then trot to this point etc.  It really works and I use it in my dancing, expecially latin.  My DP used to draw out our routines.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »

I walk to get something out of the fridge and do spirals.  When I walk at night I work on locks  and rolling through my feet. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »

and chicken walk is also good for practice.  Cheesy

not to mention samba walk.

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 09:59:19 PM »

Maybe I can try those when I 'm out with the dogs tonight.  I'm sure that won't make the neighbours think I've lost it.

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »

I want to learn the samba and rumba walks just to use as a form of exercise .... but but but pro won't teach me as we are doing standard to well compete.

anyone anyone?

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »

I do this with nearly every step I take.  I don't go full out physically, but I go full out mentally.  That way when I hit the dance floor it feels like I'm test-driving everything I practiced.  Since so much is done off the floor, every time I'm on the floor it's a new experience and hopefully, an improvement.
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »

I practice rumba walks in the grocery store when pushing the cart down the aisles... I am sure people think that I am crazy but hey... it's good practice!

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »

Do you mean visualization, or actual practice?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 03:33:02 AM »

I do both, often when I am relaxing I trying to go through the routines in my head. I think the art of visualisation is very under estimated.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: