partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 12:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Hitting the wall
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Hitting the wall  (Read 5483 times)
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 04:22:12 AM »

It started out as a friendly rivalry.  And it would have stayed that way, were it not for some unfortunate mitigating circumstances.  But it's not really that friendly anymore, at least on my end, and I know he's not going to let the subject drop if he winds up beating me--which, I'd like to reiterate, he shouldn't do if there's any justice in this world.  There's more to showdance than flashy lifts.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 04:41:00 AM »

We should have a show-dance topic  (least I assume we don't).  Would you like to start one?  Either in the social or competition areas - your choice really...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »

unconsciously addicted to emotions

Now that's an interesting concept--care to elaborate?

I will try to make it real simple so that I don't write several pages.

Emotions are a chemical response that we can get addicted to. Sometime people will create situations that ticker a certain emotion and therefore release the chemicals that respond to that emotion. If you watch the movie I suggested, they are explaining it much better then I can do in a few words. 

And let me ask you something--how can you tell when somebody walks onto the floor defeated?

Many judges are with awareness or not able to pick up the energy that you give out. There is also a body language but with the training that I got, we were trained to sense it as well as seeing it.

As for the judges thing, I'm less inclined to "give my power away to the judges" as you said, but with this guy it's all about the results.  It won't matter if I actually outdance him, if he beats me he won't let me forget it.

Just because that is how he chooses to live his life doesn't mean you have to feel the same way. It might be important for him to win but if you find your true purpose then what he thinks really doesn't matter.

Wish you all the best for the competition.   Smiley

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 09:01:14 AM »

Real champions have only themselves to compete against - doing better than their last time out - its a mentality that comes accross to anyone watching.  Its not that champions never get beaten but it takes a considerable event for it to happen.

I agree with this....

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »

Not sure where to post this, but we have some what the ?opposite/same? dillema.
We've been winning the past 4 consecutive competitions/championships we entered. It's elevated us to a higher level. In to level 3 (level 1 is lowest and level 5 is pretty much professional). So obviously we're going to run into tough competitions and I'm just unsure how we're going to cope with NOT winning. We're so used to going to a competition and bringing home trophies now.  Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 04:45:14 PM »

...if you are a true competitor (and I think you are) it will just make you want to do better.  The great thing is that for the first few competitions there will be no expectations - so any successes (getting into another round for example) will be seen as a victory.

Just give yourselves time to grow and at this point really do NOT worry about results, this is not the time.  Nows to get used to the new environment...

BTW we are doing the same thing....

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 11:08:12 AM »

Not sure where to post this, but we have some what the ?opposite/same? dillema.
We've been winning the past 4 consecutive competitions/championships we entered. It's elevated us to a higher level. In to level 3 (level 1 is lowest and level 5 is pretty much professional). So obviously we're going to run into tough competitions and I'm just unsure how we're going to cope with NOT winning. We're so used to going to a competition and bringing home trophies now.  Roll Eyes

SW, from what I see, you already have your first victory.  Sure, you didn't get a trophy for it, but your first victory appears to be that you're now playing with the big boys!  That's how I looked at it when I got creamed in the competition level above.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 12:17:51 PM »

SW, from what I see, you already have your first victory.  Sure, you didn't get a trophy for it, but your first victory appears to be that you're now playing with the big boys!  That's how I looked at it when I got creamed in the competition level above.

Grin;D
thats dancing, just when you think you are great you move up a step and discover you are really a beginner. 
Wonder what its like to be world champion.... I suppose you spend your time wondering who is going to cream you from behind....

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 01:45:42 PM »

I need to echo DSV about the power/energy/attitude thing.

What we as humans tend to do is put off certain energies or attitudes about ourselves and many people pick up on these energies and attitudes. From simply not feeling well to being down or being up to whatever.

Some people are great at "hiding" or masking those same energies/attitudes. Many are not. (I am in the not category on many things and a master at it on others)

Anyway ... my point is this. If YOU feel you are already defeated or only have a smidgen of a chance at something, the likely hood of that outcome has a greater possibility to happen because you already thought it and put the energies into action.

So for instance ... if I walk onto the dance floor at OSB (let's just say) with the attitude and energy that I am a TRUE bronze level dancer with all these other bronze level dancers (but they are TRUE silver dancers) and think (not even voice, but THINK) I do not stand a chance. Well .... a couple things are going to occur.

1. Automatically any judge who is worth their salt is going to recognize immediately that I have already placed myself below these other dancers. They can "see" and "sense" it in my walk, posture, bearing, etc ...(amazing how your thoughts come out physically and you are not even aware)

2. The dancers themselves will be aware of "sheesh ...she can not compete with us, we do not have to worry about her"

3. My attitude is not going to allow me to dance to the best of MY abilities because i have just put into question my ability of how I dance compared to these other dancers and then because subconsciously I am "worried" that I am dancing against not true bronze dancers, I suck compared to them, etc ... because I am "worrying about THEM" I am not focused on myself to preform and execute the best dance of my life in that moment.

PLUS the more I worry about another the more mistakes I make. (this is just a simply fact of life)

So .... it is like getting a job or hanging out with people or well .... anything in life.

Adjust your attitude. A good attitude and a good sense of self goes along way in this world. People WANT to be around people who exude confidence and positive and whatnot. The more you change and adjust your attitude, the more positive energy you will FEEL AND put off. It can be pretty subtle at first ...but after awhile it can become a very tangible and potent thing.

How tangible ...WAY .... my mentor/mom lives hundreds of miles from me ....but more and more often I can feel a mental push from her ... whether it is to adjust my attitude, to stop thinking about something, or times of just mental arms hugging me when I need it most. It is a very heady thing ... energy.

Some people are just better at tapping into it. Others need to be constantly reminded of it. And yet others really just need to take a complete leap of faith ....

sorry for long winded

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »

And let me ask you something--how can you tell when somebody walks onto the floor defeated?

Many judges are with awareness or not able to pick up the energy that you give out. There is also a body language but with the training that I got, we were trained to sense it as well as seeing it.

The specifics are what I'd like to hear more about.  Exactly what body language is present that you can see or sense?  So that we know what not to display and how to avoid coming across that way, of course.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »

The specifics are what I'd like to hear more about.  Exactly what body language is present that you can see or sense?  So that we know what not to display and how to avoid coming across that way, of course.
I don't think I'll be able to answer your question, but I will share some interesting information with you that I think is relevant.

I was watching a segment on body language on the news recently.  Mental confidence and security manifests itself in three key areas of the body.  Knowing this, it's theoretically possibly to try to project these areas of our bodies and fake confidence.

Here are the three areas:
1) The throat
2) The Sternum
3) The area in the pelvis slightly above the pubic region but below the waist.     

Try to hide or tuck in any of these three areas and people immediately pick up on that as a lack of confidence, insecurity. Project all three of these areas outward and it will give you an air of confidence and security.  One of the few Latin dancers I've seen who can keep all three projected effortlessly is Bryan Watson. 

Taking a cue from Bryan Watson, I think the best way to go about it is to build our confidence from the inside out.  It's too difficult trying to "fake" confidence.  I've tried it. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 10:23:59 PM »

well said EM.  As you say, some people simply assume they are amongst the elite and thats half the battle to get there whereas others have to struggle to even thing they not totally out of place even standing next to them.... and to some extent you can shift from the latter to the former by just deciding to...

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 10:31:54 PM »

Well ... folks ....I am through with my HITTING the wall. Nope no more. I have given into it and wallowed enough. I am not allowing that wall to have it's power over me and my dancing.

Wanna know why?

Because I know I can dance. I know I can dance with power. I know I can make it to open gold. And more importantly ... I do not need to allow this negative poison to make it take longer than I already have.

I have built up the illusion of it is difficult far to long. The only way to believe it is not difficult is to just do it. To put in the practice and work it takes to become the dancer I know I am.

So if it takes 1000 heel turns by darn it I am going to do 1001.

So here is to taking back MY power and blowing down the wall of self doubt with a single breath .....

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 10:51:29 PM »

Hehe Go girl! You've punched a hole right through that darn wall!  Grin
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 10:52:14 PM »

Hehe Go girl! You've punched a hole right through that darn wall!  Grin

Don't cha know it!  Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: