partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:15:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Syllabus to Open
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Syllabus to Open  (Read 1911 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: July 06, 2009, 07:31:47 AM »

OK, so say you are now doing really well with the basic steps in your dance style so that in social dancing you are chomping for new steps and in competitions you consistently come in the top three - and hopefully win a few.  What is your strategy to learn the 'open' syllabus.

In Standard (which is the only thing I am really familiar with) the destinction between syllabus and open is that the former is formally written out in great detail in 'the book' (which does not get mentioned very much on PDO BTW).  There are generally accepted principles as to how it should be done - not that the don't differ but at least all the judges are very familiar with the steps.

Open choreography is in theory anything you like (even though most of the steps have also been pretty well worked over and there are also rather settled ideas as to how they should be done) but the point is you are not going to get penalized for a step by scrutineers - except extremes such as lifts. 

In the competition world, it seems to me that most people stop competing and take a year or so off in order to learn the new routines to compete in open heats.  The alternative is to start adding the occasional new step to your syllabus routines so that it evolves.

I'm not sure how many here have gone though this or are considering it but whats your strategy?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:11:35 AM »

When I have a couple that are in ready to do gold or pre-novice, I always give them what is called an “open syllabus routine”. It is a syllabus routine that are put together so that it looks/appears open. This way they don’t have to change anything or they can add one or two steps once they are dancing open, novice or pre-champ. It saves the couple time and is a lot less frustrating then having to change everything just because they move up one level. My main teacher had me make “open syllabus routines” in every level so that the moving up a level would be without frustration and trauma.

Of course this may not be of great benefit to the teacher that is into making money on giving new routines. Sorry, maybe I should have said that “Oh well, I just did” as my main teacher often said it.  Wink

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 11:14:27 AM »

Cheesy

well, thats how we are doing it - but mostly we are making the routines ourselves.  DP is actually very good at lifting step sequences from training videos - he must be a visual learner, I sure can't do it.  We then get used to the step and finally go to our coach to 'do it right' Wink  Probably the lowest budget way to get there - but maybe not the best.

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »

I'm just looking forward to getting there!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »

I personally prefer the idea of adding a few steps here and there and gradually changing the routine, and frankly, learning the new material before you actually have to move up. We've done it while moving from bronze to silver, and we've been occasionally working on open things, even though I don't do open scholarships yet, just the dancesport series.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:56:24 AM »

I'm just looking forward to getting there!

well, I tihnk in dancing the journey really IS the destination DalD

Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »

I think that I may be almost ready to jump into open from syllabus in American style Smooth... now talk about grey area... it is really not very clear... except for things like you are able to dance  without any connection to your parter, meaning without any hand hold or body contact.  But other than that i'm really not very clear on the distinction...  Even in syllabus level dancing you are pretty free to change things up albeit not too drastically.  Mostly because there are so many different syllabi in american style.  We don't have 'The Book'... and therefore there's a lot more room for creativity and IMO artistic expression.  But I do think it would be nice if the rules for american style (in syllabus) were more defined.

(I'm not really sure if this is where this post should go... It seemed the most fitting Smiley )

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »

(seems a great place to me Wink)
I hope to learn more about the mysteries of smooth - got a great dose of it at the Empire...

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »

I danced allot my silver material in the open division a number of years ago. And was usually in the semi-final and close to the final . In fact I was 5 @ OSB in rythmn about 5 years ago with this idea.

I would always prefer to do clean, dynamis basics than "flash and trash". When judges are watching, they really oly have time to see you for 10-20 seconds. They have no idea about your program. And guess what? They don't really care!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »

I agree wholeheartedly.  Last weekend pro removed all the steps that I had not at least partially protected - which left about 10 in quickstep.  Whatcha know, we came second in only QS!

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »

This thread raises two questions for me. First: can someone give me an example of an open sylllabus routine. Even if sylllabus is disguised ingeniously I am having a hard time imagining this trick. Secondly, what does Elise mean by "protected steps".
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »

I tihnk open syllabus means different things to different people Wink  I think the consensus is that 'open bronze' means bronze with a few silver steps thrown in - which is rather like intermediate silver I know but it also means that you will not be dinged for any step you do.  So you could do open choreography if you lie - but if you are good enough to do that well then enter schollarship and if not you will get marked down for it.

I have no idea what Elise meant by protected!  I think (but will have to ask her) that she meant something like provicient - but have no idea how she got that far off the word.

Blame it on pinot noir...

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »

Were I to remove all the steps that lacked proficiency we would never make it to the competitions. Two amateurs trying to come close to doing something right will never be as good as a top notch pro masking his student's errors.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 03:47:27 AM »

Ouch.  Is that really how you see it?  I tihnk I have heard that before.

IMO dancing with a pro is harder, in particular an actively competing one  - he is expecting you to dance like his partner. 

Besides, if all the pros are masking their students errors thats an even playing field and the one with the least errors will win.  I think your point would only be valid if you have pro/ams competing against am/ams in the same heat.  Its simply a different ball park...

Try it.  Go see if your pro can mask your errors - what really happens is that the perfection in the pro actually shows up the student's errors.  With an am/am couple part of the game is to learn to compensate for each others weaknesses - which you have a lot of time to do with all that free practise time.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »

Try it.  Go see if your pro can mask your errors

Well, in the case of an am lead / pro follow, the pro sort of can, if the judges or audience aren't watching closely.  I've seen plenty of cases of an am lead who wasn't very good, but his pro partner stole the show well enough that the lead's deficiencies weren't noted.  There are a lot of pro ladies who are pretty good at covering for their partner's deficiencies in the connection-and-direction department, and it can take careful watching to determine whether or not the lead is actually leading.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: