partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 09:53:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Steps you hate
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Steps you hate  (Read 5321 times)
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »

awww ruggers , you must have seen me do this step then!
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »

change of direction.

IMO the simpler the step the easier it goes wrong.  the problem with this one is for the follow to NOT rise up on the toe.  The lead has a body rise but no foot rise - if you are a little spaced out (where I like to be) its easy to miss...

Wow, I really love this step as I can get really into the fall and totally fall into his arm. Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2009, 04:48:59 AM »

change of direction.

IMO the simpler the step the easier it goes wrong.  the problem with this one is for the follow to NOT rise up on the toe.  The lead has a body rise but no foot rise - if you are a little spaced out (where I like to be) its easy to miss...

Wow, I really love this step as I can get really into the fall and totally fall into his arm. Grin

Amazing, I'm doing the wrong thing again Shocked
I can't picture it though...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2009, 04:49:54 AM »

where does the tumble come in the tumble turn?

Ah, that's when the guy trips on the girl and they roll over and over each other acrosse the floor, hopefully in an artistic manner of course.

Cheesy 
I think that one is called the tumble dryer... Tongue

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2009, 04:51:09 AM »

during the slip pivot... There's a gradual rise through first two steps and then a drop, or tumble during the ensuing pivot...

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2009, 05:06:06 AM »

during the slip pivot... There's a gradual rise through first two steps and then a drop, or tumble during the ensuing pivot...

Yes. If you look at it, the tumble turn is really just steps 4-7 of the weave from promenade connected to a reverse pivot. And, as ED said, it is the action of transitioning the two that is referred to as the tumble.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2009, 08:22:25 PM »

thank you all for the tumble turn explanations. now that I know when the tumble occurs    let me ask  why it is called a tumble turn. a tumble infers a rather chaotic action. I dont see that when I watch amateurs do it.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2009, 05:25:48 AM »

Interestingly, Marcus Hilton told me once, when I asked the same question, that it was simply made up to insight a more excited feeling or attitude about the step. Honest.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2009, 08:02:54 AM »

Perhaps you should have asked Karen Tongue for it is not the man that doth the tumble Smiley

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2009, 09:13:46 PM »

he is the tumbl er
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »

yup and she the tumbleee

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2009, 08:10:24 AM »

Spiral in rumba....don't know why I did rumba in the first place tonight. I spiraled and fell flat on my face.  Undecided
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »

Spiral in rumba....don't know why I did rumba in the first place tonight. I spiraled and fell flat on my face.  Undecided

A great step! Forgive the assumption of advice, but remember to flex the legs... both of them, to come out of it. This is the most common problem other than not leaving the feet in place. It's really a pretty move.

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »

A great step! Forgive the assumption of advice, but remember to flex the legs... both of them, to come out of it. This is the most common problem other than not leaving the feet in place. It's really a pretty move.

Could you expound on that a bit, TD?  I suck at spirals too, can never keep my balance, and that's something none of my pros have ever mentioned, at least not to my memory.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2009, 04:05:11 AM »

Could you expound on that a bit, TD?  I suck at spirals too, can never keep my balance, and that's something none of my pros have ever mentioned, at least not to my memory.

Will try, but in brief (it's almost midnight, and I'm muy consado, si. Take a step forward right foot. Now press onto the forward foot maintaining a pressure on the floor w/ the left (standard definition of a 'press', yes?). Maintaining this semi-divided weight, do an about face (a 180* turn) to the left. The legs are now straightened, just because, and you feel that if you were to continue to turn you would push yourself off balance simply because the left leg is prohibiting further rotation.

Relax, and repeat the exercise, but this time, when you reach the point where the legs come together at the 180, flex both knees (this will place the weight more onto the back
foot, and continue to push with the left toes... only until the knees come together. At that precise moment, release the weight, and push the left foot forward with the right. Voila! La spirale parfaite!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: