partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:17:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116184 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Rotating in partner dance class -- what do you do?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rotating in partner dance class -- what do you do?  (Read 430 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: July 10, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »

We all know how notoriously unbalanced group classes can be, when it comes to the numbers of partners available in class.  It seems things are never evenly distributed.  Either there are too many men or too many women.

To compensate for this, many teachers ask their students to rotate, or change partners with each repition of the pattern or technique being studied, so that everyone gets a chance to practice with a partner.  But many people, especially dance partners or life partners, attend class specifically to practice with their partner.

So I'm just curious.  when you attend group classes with a gender imbalance, how do you handle it? Do you rotate or do you dance "with the one you came with" so to speak?  And, on the rotations where you end up without an opposite sex partner, do you practice alone, sit out, or dance the opposite role?

Why or why not to  any or all.  Please discuss.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »

trouble with the poll is that the options are not mutually exclusive: I rotate and I'm happy to learn the other gender role; and I practise alone and I could sit out.

there, that's 4 votes Grin

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »

You're right.  They're not mutually exclusive.

A lot of people behave as if they are, though ...  Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »

you didn't add the 'change sex' option Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:33:17 PM »

What gets me are the inevitable handful of couples who'll only dance with their spouses/partners, even though it obviously creates a gender imbalance and a huge hassle for the teacher.   Seriously?  everybody but your wife has cooties?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:41:34 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:14:15 AM »

What gets me are the inevitable handful of couples who'll only dance with their spouses/partners, even though it obviously creates a gender imbalance and a huge hassle for the teacher.   Seriously?  everybody but your wife has cooties?

I always thought that since it is the "rule" for group class, people should rotate...until I heard from someone that I know and respect (personally) brought up the other side.

So she pointed out that, since she dances with her husband (and used to compete with him, not sure if they do anymore), it makes sense for her to dance only with her husband, even in group classes.

She also pointed out that, imagine in the over imbalanced scenario and she brought her husband with her. Without rotation, she could dance with a partner (even better, her competition partner) 100% of the time. With rotation, and with 2:1 ratio (female:male) - not unheard of for gender unbalanced scenes - suddenly, her on average chance for dancing with her partner suddenly becomes 50%, or lower. And this feels like a punishment for her - she made the effort to bring in a partner, yet she was punished (if that makes sense). Basically, she pointed out that force rotating in an unbalanced group class is a punishment to the people bring in their partner.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:17:44 AM »

I can see why someone with a partner might think of it that way.  Cool Smiley  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:22:43 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 05:28:21 AM »

OTOH two things.  One: Pretty much everybody knows that rotating in class is the rule rather than the exception, so your friend *probably* knew before she went that she would be expected to to rotate in class. 

Two.  That approach makes it sound like everybody who is in group class without a partner is there alone because they're slacking off and too lazy to find and bring along a partner.  In most cases, that couldn't be further from the truth. 

So, even though I can understand why, if your goal is to dance well with one particular person, dancing with other may not seem useful to you, I'm not sure that one person's desire to dance with their partner 100% of the time trumps everybody else's desire to dance with a partner at all.

I also don't necessarily buy into the idea that dancing well, but only with ones partner makes an overall good dancer. *shrug*

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 01:04:00 AM »

OTOH two things.  One: Pretty much everybody knows that rotating in class is the rule rather than the exception, so your friend *probably* knew before she went that she would be expected to to rotate in class. 

Two.  That approach makes it sound like everybody who is in group class without a partner is there alone because they're slacking off and too lazy to find and bring along a partner.  In most cases, that couldn't be further from the truth. 

So, even though I can understand why, if your goal is to dance well with one particular person, dancing with other may not seem useful to you, I'm not sure that one person's desire to dance with their partner 100% of the time trumps everybody else's desire to dance with a partner at all.

I also don't necessarily buy into the idea that dancing well, but only with ones partner makes an overall good dancer. *shrug*

Actually, that was why she decided that rotating group classes aren't her dishes - which is cool. She was mostly just giving the "why" for her take on group lessons.

Of course, no one was "intentionally" being lazy. However, as you said before, one's intention is very different the consequences of one's action.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 04:56:00 AM »

I read somewhere that to be a good follow you also have to be a good lead....so I am happy to try to do both. Cheesy I will always be guaranteed a date on a Saturday night Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 05:50:41 AM »

I read somewhere that to be a good follow you also have to be a good lead....so I am happy to try to do both. Cheesy I will always be guaranteed a date on a Saturday night Cheesy
Are you free this weekend Roll Eyes Smiley

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:44:33 AM »

Actually, that was why she decided that rotating group classes aren't her dishes - which is cool. She was mostly just giving the "why" for her take on group lessons.

Of course, no one was "intentionally" being lazy. However, as you said before, one's intention is very different the consequences of one's action.

Absolutely.  She's allowed to dance exclusively with her husband, if that's what she wants to do. Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:24:41 AM »

Are you free this weekend Roll Eyes Smiley

If I were close by I will be your date Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »

People who can and will dance either/both roles in group classes are so awesome.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »

I think I could... but here that would not be tolerated - at least in a social setting.  Competition dancers do it all the time, but probably only with teachers.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: