partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 03:41:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Music (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Playing my guitar, piano, violin, didgeridoo, bongo, Kazoo.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Playing my guitar, piano, violin, didgeridoo, bongo, Kazoo.....  (Read 8213 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 09:58:01 AM »

I was at BF's house today, and he suggested that we attempt to play Haydn's Suprise Symphony as a duet. Even just sightreading it with him, I love it!

I have a confession to make: I'm bad at reading music.  It's a slow and painful process for me; I can't do it nearly fast enough to read as I play.  I guess I've never made a serious effort to learn because I've never been in a situation where I have to.  I pick up things by ear very quickly, and that's easier for me.

In the band situations I've been in, either everything was done from memory, or we had jazz charts or the like.  Besides, some of the music I'm interested in doesn't translate to sheet very well.  How do you put the middle section of Pink Floyd's "Echoes" on a staff?   Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »

or whip out their violin Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Skynnyrd
pre-bronze

Canadian EH!

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »

Well since everyone is sharing. Guitar is my main instrument and being a composer(www.sitbythefire.ca) I am usually working on original stuff. I have a recording studio and have made 2 CDs of which I played and programmed all of the music. I teach guitar as well as taught Piano Theory(how to read and write) and at the moment working on a couple of projects one being a Sarah Brightman kind of thing.  Grin
Now that I am off to take lessons in dance and get the legs to move to music and not my fingers Cheesy I will be bringing this experience into my music Smiley

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance... I hope you dance
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 07:29:47 PM »

fantastic - we often have debates as to the role of music in dance.  It may seem obvious that it is important but oddly, sometimes it really is not so having a(nother) musicians perspective will be excellent.  Also it will be interesting to see how your experience in music affects your dance learning process - I hope you will share along the way Smiley
ee

Skynnyrd
pre-bronze

Canadian EH!

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »

That I will. Everytime I learn a new step I try to somehow incorporate that into the music. Once I learn the names of the sylabus' I will share how I have put them to a musical beat. I look forward to bantering back and forth ideas.  Cheesy   

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 10:32:08 PM »

INteresting - now it would be way different if you were a woman ballroom dancer.  We really don't listen to the music, we listen to the man - even if he is off the music we follow him.  Might be an interesting excercise for you one day.

Skynnyrd
pre-bronze

Canadian EH!

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »

I will keep that in mind thanks for the info, so a woman listening to a man interesting lol  Grin Grin Grin Grin. I posted this also in the newcomer area but I would like to know what Foxtrot music people like as I have jotted down a couple of ideas so the more info I have musically would help. Thanks.   

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »

the first thing is to get the beats-per-bar correct (there is a legel range) then watch the dance as danced by some experts and try to capture that continuous, wave like sebsatoin.  The key thing abot FT - that makes it just the most expressive partnerdance (IM humble O Wink) is that it is three steps to a four beats-per bar music

Skynnyrd
pre-bronze

Canadian EH!

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 01:19:20 AM »

Got that and the tempo thing as well just looking to hear some music that is I can use as a guideline.   

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 01:37:47 AM »

now there you need to hang out at a studio - in particular when a serious couple is practising or a good coach is teaching - that will instantly give you examples of the dance music that works the best - but it will not give you the limits of the form.  Perhaps best to try composing a few lines and ask a dancer if it works Wink

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 01:39:21 AM »

Played a chopin nocturne last night - amazing how beautiful these piano pieces are trascribed for the violin.  I suppose that tells you a lot about the composer - that he was really up for a great tune Wink

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »

I have a recording studio and have made 2 CDs of which I played and programmed all of the music.

Cool!  I've got a little basement studio.  What do you record with?  My audio setup consists of a Mackie mixer (I keep telling myself I'm going to get a nice Soundcraft or Allen & Heath someday), an MOTU 828 audio interface, and a Mac G4 running Metro.
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 10:21:16 AM »

Played a chopin nocturne last night - amazing how beautiful these piano pieces are trascribed for the violin.  I suppose that tells you a lot about the composer - that he was really up for a great tune Wink

Which one? i heard a great rendition of a gershwin prelude transcribed for piano and violin which i was quite suprised at how easily it fits Wink

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »

I play the piano and guitar. Not well ... for my own enjoyment ... now however my kids are the musical talents. LOL

Let's see ... I play the piano and guitar as I mentioned
Hubby ... plays drums
Jas ... plays guitar and clarinet
Jeffrey  .... plays drums, guitar (rhythm and bass), clarinet, piano and harmonica
Natalia ... plays trumpet

LOL

Actually my son and his friend formed a metal band. they aren't to bad.  Grin

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 01:22:05 PM »

Which one? i heard a great rendition of a gershwin prelude transcribed for piano and violin which i was quite suprised at how easily it fits Wink

Have to dig the name out at home - but there are some superb gershwin transpositions but I have not tried any yet ...

Zac

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: