partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 03:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Standard, Latin or Both
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Standard, Latin or Both  (Read 4070 times)
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 06:10:16 AM »

I do a considerable amount of latin MC Wink

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2009, 06:00:42 AM »

Love both for different reasons - only recently started standard though and want to continue doing both for now.  I suspect my latin is not that great but currently not too fussed and willing to work on it.

On subject of 'older people' doing latin - recently went to a pro-am show where 90% of the students were over 50.  Majority did standard but those that did latin looked fab, great dancing & technique (I doubt very much I would've achieved the standard they were at) and the 60+ lady that asked my DP to jive really went for it - DP exhausted.  Was the end of dancing for that evening!!!  So think age shouldn't stop one doing latin and am currently encouraging my mother  Grin
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:27:51 AM by pinkstuff » Logged

Dance like you're going to fall over
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »

Without question, elevating both latin and standard to pre championship level  at the same time has been the most demanding and exasperating aspect of dancing thus far in dancing for me and my partner. Our standard developed much quicker taking about a year to memorize routines, increase speed, and master big lines. The latin is a whole nother ball game!  It will take many more months of lessons and practice to make it competitive.
Recently our latin instructess strongly advised us to forego competing in an upcoming large Canadian competition. You are not yet ready she warned and we listened . Now we have twice as much time to devote to standard and consequently understand why most couples do not compete in latin once past adult. The jump from syllabus to open is enormous. Doing it with two disciplines is punishing and has come at a cost to the partnership.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »

I truly admire you for doing both - but I also think its not something to attempt unless you have a lot of time and can practise easily together - neither of which is the case for you two.  Just being competetive in one is an entire free-time dedication - if you want to diversify then why not do standard and showcase?  That way you could incorporate some latin - as much as you care to - into your routine and not loose it without trying to do the whole latin thing.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: