partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:24:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Standard, Latin or Both
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Standard, Latin or Both  (Read 3860 times)
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 08:22:08 PM »

[honey, word to the wise: if a guy says you are sexy or good looking just smile and say thank you.  OK?  He might just mean it - actually my experience is that he would never say it if he did not.  Besides, its good for the complexion Cheesy]

Oh, C just thinks it's funny to call me sexy when I say something to the opposite effect.  It's been a long-standing running commentary.  Right, C? *evil eyebrow*
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 01:35:15 AM »

Well, I'm one of those non-traditional Latin dancers myself--I'm nowhere near the size 2-4 that seems to be necessary to dance Latin well (and yes, the tanning gets on my nerves too, but I do it anyway), nor am I particularly good at doing the "sexy" thing...but I just wasn't happy dancing Smooth, Rhythm, or Standard.

1. ...seems... is the operative word, here. I have known many size 6-8...10-12s who just blew the shoes off of the 2-4s.
2. The tanning is really about as necessary as being a size 2-4. personally, I do not like orange ladies, or dancers who are so tanned that they look like the old black-faced actors of US vaudeville.
3. I'll bet (from photos) that you are sexy enough. The "sexy" thing is all relative. If it looks good on you...it's sexy.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 01:58:43 AM »

......Wanna come judge Vol State?

(Y'all think I'm kidding...)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 03:01:57 AM »

good advice - you should do latin when you are young if you ever want to be good at it.  And leave standard for us pensioners Cheesy
(there, just trying to reduce the competition a bit hehehehe...)

I have recently seen some of us pensioners doing latin and I agree leave it to the young ones.. Lips sealed

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 06:47:43 AM »

I have recently seen some of us pensioners doing latin and I agree leave it to the young ones.. Lips sealed

Lol...ex-DP's first comment on the types of dresses worn by latin dancers in the Masters devisions: 'People that old shouldn't wear dresses like that'

Both for now, but only at a low level. Once we get up to registered we'll probably stick to standard and NV, mostly because DP doesn't have the confidence for latin costumes and I can't be bothered tanning...

I wouldn't discount the possibility just yet, L.  I'm one of those annoying people that thinks you should dance whatever style speaks to you the most, and you might find that Latin does that more than Standard for you.  And besides, by the time you get registered DP might have the confidence and you might like Latin enough to try the tanning. Wink

I do love latin, but standard and new vogue do more for me. I don't think I could do latin competitively, but it will never stop me from a good sexy rumba at a social Cheesy
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 06:48:03 AM »

Yea Lioness, and you get to get sexy with your DP.  Roll Eyes

Lol...and we need latin as an excuse for that?
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 08:26:28 AM »

Yea Lioness, and you get to get sexy with your DP.  Roll Eyes

Lol...and we need latin as an excuse for that?

Well then you can do it infront of your parents!
Sex on the floor!
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 08:27:43 AM »

Well then you can do it infront of your parents!
Sex on the floor!

Hah...no.
mum already banned us from learning a certain rumba sequence that had a 'sexy' move in it. Didn't stop us for a minute.

But BOT...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »

Oh, C just thinks it's funny to call me sexy when I say something to the opposite effect.  It's been a long-standing running commentary.  Right, C? *evil eyebrow*

She's my cyber-daughter!   Cheesy
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »

I used to do both when I was amateur. I did mostly latin and very little standard. When I turned professional I did only Standard.  My main teacher taught the very top in both standard and latin. He taught me how to teach both styles so now I do just that, plus of cause rhythm and smooth.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »

She's my cyber-daughter!   Cheesy

Which is why I get to whack him upside the head when he gets smart!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 01:37:17 PM »

thanks for the tip.  If I ever feel he needs one I'll contact you.
what are your rates?  Wink

PS - can't imagine ever having to do so but never hurts to have tools at your disposal Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »

Am I right in assuming that the only folks having an issue with older ladies dancing Latin is ...other ladies?!

A lady moving in a Latin outfit: hot!!!  Sorry, but I'm a firm believer that women are like fine wine (the older they get...).  Of course there are some Latin outfits that just shouldn't be worn (irrespective of age).  Men are also like wine, in that you have to stomp on them until they're ready and decent enough to have a meal with, but I digress. 

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 03:17:43 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »

Am I right in assuming that the only folks having an issue with older ladies dancing Latin is ...other ladies?!

A lady moving in a Latin outfit: hot!!!  Sorry, but I'm a firm believer that women are like fine wine (the older they get...).  Of course there are some Latin outfits that just shouldn't be worn (irrespective of age).  Men are also like wine, in that you have to stomp on them until they're ready and decent enough to have a meal with, but I digress. 

I agree with you.  And the pleasure to the eye depends on each woman (and each viewer) - its just that the perspective becomes less forgiving with age Wink.

BTW - as a last resort, I did try stomping to bring out the best but I must have started with the wrong grape because all I got was jelly...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2009, 08:03:20 PM »

I'm not able to take part in your poll.

I study smooth and rhythm.

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: