partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Standard routines or sequences you use
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Standard routines or sequences you use  (Read 4955 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2010, 08:53:21 PM »

still what we need to improve this year is being able to stop and and then resume the routine without looking flustered (not that we do that all the time) but just pick up and move somewhere else without effort

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »

still what we need to improve this year is being able to stop and and then resume the routine without looking flustered (not that we do that all the time) but just pick up and move somewhere else without effort
we are working on this too - coach noticed that we were inclined to make gestures when we made an error - effectively drawing the judges attention.  That we have to fix because if you look carefully most of the other dancers are making mistakes all the time, they just don't show it.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 03:38:32 AM »

yes most people would not know what your routine is so it is only you, one of our friends made a boo boo and opened her eyes like she was Bambi! So it was evident had she not done that know one would have known other than the two of them.

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2010, 10:44:45 PM »

do you have routines that you do on the floor or do you make up the steps as you go along. I have heard from a competitor that when he competed he did not learn routines and only learnt steps and then went out and used the floor and steps that could fit. People use to compliment him on his floor craft.

I don't dance set routines in competition.  I've tried it a couple of times, and I find that the effort of recalling choreography and fitting it to the floor conditions is harder than improvising.  I do sometimes put together walls -- short sequences that will carry me the length of one wall.  In smooth, it's not that hard to stretch one continuing step across a whole wall.   Grin  But I have to have a good picture of the traffic and a good view down the floor as I turn the corner, or I won't do it.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2010, 01:13:15 AM »

I find that the effort of recalling choreography and fitting it to the floor conditions is harder than improvising. 

I can't tell you how good it is to hear that. Wonderful! Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2010, 02:10:16 AM »

so do you teach your students figures? or do they still learn a routine as well

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2010, 08:44:03 AM »

so do you teach your students figures? or do they still learn a routine as well

I am not sure if you are asking me or not but I am going to answer the question.   Tongue

If I teach syllabus then I will teach at least a couple of precedes and follows for each step. This gives the option even at syllabus level to floor craft at any time. If the couple is out of syllabus then I will give "short sides"/small grouping that can be intermixed. If they insist on a routine then I will always give sides that are fairly short and then "chewing gums" so that the sides can be extend to fit any floor. They will have a series of "chewing gums" that can be used to either extend a side or that can be danced as a short side. I have found that this way gives the couple the most freedom. They have grouping and then the man chooses from those grouping what he feels like dancing at that very moment. It might be a little scary for couples that has not been trained to think on their feet  Wink but after a while it become second nature.

I am not saying this is the only way to do it but that is the way that I was taught and the way I teach. It worked fairly well for my partner and me and it seems to work for the couples that I teach. Cheesy

DSV

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2010, 06:56:32 AM »

Ok well we have learnt a short side and a long side, but when we practice often the floor is crowded so we get to move it around and come back to where we should be. I have yet to feel confident for V to move off the patterns we know as he changes himself to be more open and I loose the feel of what he wants me to do. But that is practice on both our parts. I don't want to lay blame...it is about experience Embarrassed

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »

Ok, i would really like some help from you guys (and girls of course Wink ) on ideas for sequences or even just a step or two to put into a tango routine i'm choreographing. It's been so long since I've actually done tango that I've lost all inspiration for choreographing it, thanks for the help in advance Smiley

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »

I will be reading this one with avid interest (our routine is, well, boring...)

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 09:16:25 PM »

Try using a back open promenade in tango Zac
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2010, 01:19:42 AM »

so now we need the video example capability - just think if we could share practise tapes??

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 01:06:14 AM »

Try using a back open promenade in tango Zac

A Back Open Promenade, Heel Pull, Zig-Zag, Heel Pull, Left Side Walks, Counter Point, Same Foot Lunge, Five Step. Short and with a lot of action.

Edward Teller
socialdancer
pre-bronze

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:41 AM »

we are working on this too - coach noticed that we were inclined to make gestures when we made an error - effectively drawing the judges attention.  That we have to fix because if you look carefully most of the other dancers are making mistakes all the time, they just don't show it.

We have a saying that "the only difference between a mistake and a new variation is the look on your face"
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:01 AM »

We have a saying that "the only difference between a mistake and a new variation is the look on your face"

that is a great one! Welcome

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: