partnerdanceonline.com
November 24, 2014, 12:56:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Catsmeow alley  (Read 7585 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »

So when do we hear about the fifth element, and I don't mean the movie?

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »

The fifth element is luck: good and bad. I am wondering more than ever if we were able to return to our dance careers a hundred years from now and see them in a shortened version how much luck played a role. I never wanted to think that luck played a role in my dancing until I realized how badly or well I danced when the judges werent looking. Did I win or lose because a judge yawned at the right moment?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2009, 02:10:07 AM »

with 6 judges and 6 couples on the floor on average one is looking at you all the time!  Of course this is not true - I think most judges quickly dispense of the weaker dancers and then focus on the top ones.  So if you are new at the level you may only get a glance - and luck is a big factor whereas if you in the top group at least one judge is probably looking at you all the time. 

Besides, 'fortune favors the brave' - luck tends to go to those that earn it anyway...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »

Would you cheat to win if no one suspected or found you out? I am trying to think of ways that a competition couple could cheat. Gee I think I know one ! Develop your dancing out of country so that no one realizes you are pre champ and then start afresh at the bottom in pre bronze. This approach is best done with a beginner partner in case the overall picture is just too obvious. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2009, 09:48:39 PM »

but why would anyone want to dance pre-bronze if they can win at pre-champ?  IT doesn't seem to make any sense.

You can cheat of course, sabotage your competitors shoes, bribe judges, etc etc

trouble is again, I suppose some people could get pleasure from beating, but there would be no satisfaction in winning...

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:59 PM »

Why would you dance at pre bronze ? To feel the rush of winning thats why. You know you will move up anyway so why not enjoy the process with your developing partner. I am fairly certain of at least a few in our corner of dancing EE that have taken this route. But cheating can take many forms.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2009, 10:52:03 PM »

You would think so ee but the case that catsmeow presents is one that is true.  The dancer in question o me has lost face and I have treated them as such.  I even mentioned that if they were so hard up for a trophy we could all get together and buy them one.

The cheating is from other instances where winning at all costs seems to be all some of these people care about.  Some day when we are together I will point the offenders out to you but either than that I will not mention them to anyone else.  One of the couples, the first one, is known to many anyway.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2009, 05:33:44 AM »

That kind of 'cheating' (if it is cheating) is IMO rather pathetic - we see a lot of it in pro/am because in general there are no promotion rules.  I've mentioned this before but it is on point: when I started pro/am there was a woman in bronze who had been there for, not kidding, 9 years.  And she always won.  Whoopee doo.  I did my time at that level and worked my way up.  By the time I was in Schollarship she was still in bronze and 'winning'.   But when we met which of us had a better sense of achievement?

I can't worry about the vagaries of others - the fact of dancesport is that there are multiple levels and if someone opts to stay (or enter) a level where they don't belong as far as i am concerned its their problem not mine.  Being first is nice but its not the holy grail - until you are in championship and there you can't sandbag - you either win or you dont.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2009, 11:24:53 PM »

You are right ee, the lady may win in bronze but again it's the case of the Emperor's new clothes.  Everyone else is laughing at her and she is too oblivious to know.  Maybe her Pro keeps her there to keep her winning and coming back but most likely it's an ego thing.  Yep, a legend in her own mind.  In the long run it's going to be a skeleton in their closet.  Whenever they say they won they will always hope they are not found out.  In the long run the sad thing for them is that they will never know if they really would have won.  By cheating they are really only bogus wins and in the long run nobody has respect for them.

My DP and I just shake our head and look the other way now when we see what is going on.  What we feel bad about is that someone else is cheated out of their win and go away wondering what happened.   

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »

How goes the getting ready for Kingston battle?

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »

alas not well rugby! seems catsmeow is closing the book on catsmeow alley. he is an older kitty and cant measure up to the young guns anymore. nonetheless he still has claws and is as good as he ever was at least once.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2009, 10:33:23 PM »

*hums Toby Keith*

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2009, 03:35:42 AM »

How goes the getting ready for Kingston battle?
needless to say we are rather behind - but at least DP is up again and we have started to practise.  I was quite hopeful that we could do well before but now its more a case of getting back on the olde horse, er figuratively speaking of course!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: