partnerdanceonline.com
August 22, 2014, 09:45:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Catsmeow alley  (Read 6630 times)
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »

For an older guy dancing latin competitively is not easy. We have a young and talented russian isntructor (female) who gave us a highly syncopated energy laden long routine in both cha cha and rumba. Months have gone by and I still havent memorized the step sequence. Very recently an older female standard instructor and former ten dancer questioned if the routine was perhaps not age sensitive. I dont want to change one step . It would feel like failure to me and I am peeved at the comment. Both my partner and I have the capability to move better than couples half our ages.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »

Two years of video charting our lessons has paid off. My partner (who is also a member here) bought a camera and started the library. All our instructors encourage us to do this and only one has complained that it takes up some teaching time aligning the camera angle every so often. I would like to know if other students, especially pro-am people, take this approach to learning dancing.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 10:18:27 PM »

I'm afraid I'm of the 'if its not in my head its not going in by video' school.  DP likes to video our practices but neither of us do so to lessons.   

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 10:25:08 PM »

I have to agree with you there EE. I was completely of that idea at first. Didnt and couldnt look at myself. Different now because the latin forced me to do it. Give it one try with your pro and see what happens.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 10:43:52 PM »

It's amazing how much you learn by looking at yourself.  You can then match up the look with the feeling.  You think you are doing something but when you see yourself then you realize that what you are doing and what you think you are doing are two different things.  Or should I say thinks.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »

we have video of you at niagra ee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 09:43:36 AM »

hey, put a blackout on that OK.  that was our first competition after DP's surgery.
OTOH if you want to video us in NY Tongue

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 10:46:42 PM »

I have thought long and hard (which means about five minutes for me) about what plays a dominant role in our dance success. These items are not relevant to dancing as I have seen their importance in other athletic endeavours.
The first and most important prerequisite, in my mind, to even modest success is natural talent. I dont mean the kind of monkey see monkey do talent that most of us have. Its raw talent that a good teacher exposes instead of building. This kind of talent can win without many lessons or much practice at least at lower levels of dancing.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 10:50:48 PM »

I understand what you mean.  I have noticed this with riding students.  It's just something that is there and can transcend into other sports too.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »

Following natural talent I am going to lump money and time under one heading called opportunity. Fortunately for dance instructors one or both can make for a good dancer but not a great one. Opportunity plays a pivotal role for young dancers because time is of no consequence and money doesnt have to be earned. When either money or time becomes the responsibility of the dancer their world changes.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 11:01:24 PM »

Oh yeah.  Sometimes when the parent's find that they have to know pay for post secondary school all of a sudden the money for dance lessons dries up.

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 11:08:39 PM »

From here on the order of the attributes for success is not as important any more. What keeps popping up however is something called inspiration. Under this heading I include the ability to work your butt off to reach a goal and working smarter when it counts. Dancers who put together concepts and ideas from separate teachers to become better are displaying this attribute.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 11:10:04 PM »

I will finish my post tomorrow god willing
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »

very interesting CM.. DSV has a topic on something simillar but its great to hear it from one person's perspective... look forward to the completion (and wonder if I have all that it takes !!) Wink

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »

ee you do have what it takes.

and C - i look forward to it too

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: