partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Are You A Logical Or Emotional Dancer?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Are You A Logical Or Emotional Dancer?  (Read 5463 times)
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 11:35:43 PM »

I pay attention to when we are on the floor especially because he can not see behind him...but as a newbie in the learning process of navigation or telling the man that hey you are about to bump us or couple is coming at us .... well I squeeze his arm for dear life and he knows. I am like a deer in headlights right now. all panic. hahaaa

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 11:39:45 PM »

I do try to pay attention to what's going on behind my partner.  That said, I only have to notify him that he's about to hit somebody, I don't have to worry about how to extricate us myself.

Same here.  I used to try and direct us and change the angles, being the dominatrix that I am, but I would make it harder on my partner since we were now both trying to control the steering wheel.  I had to let go and hope he could get us out of trouble.  If we do collide with someone I don't worry about it too much.  After working with large horse all my life I developed very fast reflexes and can brace myself pretty quickly.    

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »

how would a logical expression be different from an emotional one in dancing..
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 11:42:48 PM »

I guess it would be like the difference between Spock and Kirk in command.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »

ohboy . I am all akimbo here thinking so much about expression. Emerald seems to be on a similar playing field as myself when she talks about panic. Its a very useful emotion.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 11:45:34 PM »

If you could put them both together you would have a great boyfriend, or dancer, apart they are lacking something.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:47:20 PM by Rugby » Logged

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 11:46:31 PM »

somehow I cant see spock doing a waltz. he is more of a tango dancer
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 11:47:06 PM »

ohboy . I am all akimbo here thinking so much about expression. Emerald seems to be on a similar playing field as myself when she talks about panic. Its a very useful emotion.

I tend to think ALL are useful .... Grin I just seem to use them at the wrong time. LOL

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 11:47:31 PM »

somehow I cant see spock doing a waltz. he is more of a tango dancer

yeah sour face and all .... er straight face. Wink

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 11:51:46 PM »

time to think about a new top ten emotions list for dancing. .. oops sorry forum police.. I will take it over to bloggy spot
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2009, 12:03:57 AM »

time to think about a new top ten emotions list for dancing. .. oops sorry forum police.. I will take it over to bloggy spot

Good saves me having to kick you in the furry butt.   Grin

Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2009, 01:18:39 AM »

Spock would be slow-fox. The analytycal precision of it, not the aesthetics of it, would get him.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2009, 02:06:58 AM »

It definitely changes as you become more familiar with your partner and your routines.  At first you need logic just to stop yourself running away screaming Smiley  However, I think I'm 20:80 now - (logic/emotional).  the more you get into automatic pilot the less logic you need.

I think this is true of everyone actually - the point is that you do umpteen things without thinking about it when you dance and only have to apply logic to the few things you are currently working on.  Hopefully, during a competition very little requires logic at all - you should just dance and not have to think at all - while obviously more difficult for the man I think it should be the same, finding a space etc should become second nature just like creating a shape in a particular step is to the woman.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2009, 04:53:55 AM »

Seriously? A logical expression would be dancing what you believe the proper expression should be (tango with mean and nasty faces; foxtrot with a smile; paso with brows frowned and intent). How about an emotional expression... smiling if the tango makes you feel sensual; melancholy if the fox makes you feel so; paso w/ the head held high showing a content expression... if these are what one "feels"?

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2009, 04:36:45 PM »

Logical is what we perceive the expression of the dance should look like and emotional is how we express the dance due to the feel.   

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: