partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 01:56:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Are You A Logical Or Emotional Dancer?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Are You A Logical Or Emotional Dancer?  (Read 5694 times)
Rugby
Gold

« on: July 02, 2009, 01:12:30 AM »

Catsmeow brought up a good point in another thread wondering if there is any room for logic in dancing?  He asks if you can tell if a couple is more emotional or logical  by watching their performance?

For me I would answer that I learn body mechanics through logical reasoning and analysis but like to let the emotion of the music carry me after that.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 01:21:42 AM »

I'm the anti-logic when it comes to dancing. Undecided I overheard our coach telling a newer student one day "That's just G, she's about a real goof-off, doesn't care anything about the steps, just dances."  True, yeah, but still- ouch. I was RIGHT THERE, y'know?
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:34:25 AM »

Actually, no it's NOT true- I have been working really hard on "being a nice normal girl" lately who keeps opinions to herself (not working). I do care about doing it "right" and 'by the book'... but I care more about having fun and expressing myself creatively.

I'm all for The Right Way, but I don't want to be caught old and either in too much pain, or too far out of shape to dance the fun, expressive way I have in my head, and am capable of doing now to a degree. If I "wait until I've learned it all" to THEN do it- I'll never be there. I might as well quit. I will quit when dancing isn't enjoyable to me in a way I can't somehow shrug off or improve.

People don't currently appreciate us as a partnership for our accuracy or how well we memorized a book- they enjoy us because we 'make dancing look like so much fun and so smooth and easy'. I know a lot of technique and practice went into looking that way, but it couldn't have done it by itself.

Oh, did I just fall into my own can of dance-angst-worms? D'oh.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:30:01 AM »

well, I agree really G: dancing is about movement, expression and enjoyment much more than accurate steps and perfect technique.  The trouble is that the latter is very important for dancesport - quite a different activity!

Still, as coach said yesterday, learn your steps and technique carefully - and then forget them and dance.  there is nothing more ugly than a couple who you see focusing on getting the method right when they dance, social or competetive....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:06:57 AM »

well, I agree really G: dancing is about movement, expression and enjoyment much more than accurate steps and perfect technique.  The trouble is that the latter is very important for dancesport - quite a different activity!

Still, as coach said yesterday, learn your steps and technique carefully - and then forget them and dance.  there is nothing more ugly than a couple who you see focusing on getting the method right when they dance, social or competetive....

The first paragraph is very true, but the tech is not only impportant for DS. Many, not saying you, ED, misunderstand the quote in blue. The meaning is not to literally forget the tech...it is moreso to, without mentally working on it, allow the body to do what it has learned to be technically correct.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 05:28:13 AM »

I took that as matter of fact - I mean why learn technique at all if you are not going to apply it.  But one could certainly have misunderstood my words that way so thanks for the clarification. 

If you let your body do this it is astonishing how much it can retain.  As comes up over and over - in some ways our minds can be our bodies worst enemies for learning.  One has to develop a faith what has been learned and how effective the mind can be at learning without having to have it all in one's imaging thought (I almost wrote conscious thought - but that is misleading since both types of thinking are very much conscious but the difference is that one is thining in images and percieved strings while the other is thinking in conscious but non-percieved ideas). 

I thnk this is one of the bggest things I have learned about myself from dance - to have faith in my non-percieved thought processes...

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 06:12:31 AM »

Definitely emotional! I don't really see how logical and dancing go together.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 07:21:57 AM »

Catsmeow brought up a good point in another thread wondering if there is any room for logic in dancing?  He asks if you can tell if a couple is more emotional or logical  by watching their performance?

For me I would answer that I learn body mechanics through logical reasoning and analysis but like to let the emotion of the music carry me after that.

isnt there a third alternative; being intuitive: it doesnt mean that any emotion is/or is not involved but that one is dancing by the creative parts of one's brain?

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:59:58 AM »

I think the 'emotional' was suppposed to be synonomous with 'intuitive' but perhaps the OP can expound..

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 09:07:49 AM »

I think the 'emotional' was suppposed to be synonomous with 'intuitive' but perhaps the OP can expound..

Socrates would pick you up there.......

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 10:58:43 AM »

I think right now, meaning at this very point in my dancing, I am both. Which totally SUCKS er is a bit aggravating!

ALL of my life I have been a very emotional dancer. Then again, I am also a very emotional person. When people look at me at any given time, very rarely can someone not see what it is I am feeling. I just wear it out there ya know? Very intense, very real. Nothing is hidden. Dance was a way to express it much more clearly and allow it to have an avenue in which it was OK to express it. Er ... define it.

BUT ... now that I am delving much deeper into technique ... the logic is kicking in, and it is kicking me in the a$$.

I (for myself that is) find the two can not co-exist. Which it is making my learning and enjoyable process that much more frustrating and stressful.

My pro has picked up on this ... which makes it even more difficult. I never had a problem expressing what I did or did not understand, but now verbally, physically, etc ... it has all collided and it is difficult to express or even show any understanding of any of the process.

I am having a time where I can not focus at all and some part of me is shutting down, and not having fun. YET there is another part of me that enjoys the learning process and can not ever walk away from this because it is in my blood. I literally can not see no dancing, competing, etc in my life. I can not, will not walk away from this ever!

So crossroads right now and hoping against all hope that it "clicks".

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well theyd be singing so happily,
Joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
Logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the worlds asleep,
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man.
Wont you please, please tell me what weve learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me how to dance.

Now watch what you say or theyll be calling you a radical,
Liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Wont you sign up your name, wed like to feel youre
Acceptable, respecable, presentable, a vegetable!

At night, when all the worlds asleep,
The questions run so deep
For such a simple man.
Wont you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me how to dance

with apologies to Supertramp

Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 11:12:55 PM »

You know, I started as an emotional dancer; my teacher would praise the fact that I felt the music, but there came a time when I really needed the technique and I moved to logical... And then I needed the emotional and lost some of the logical.  It's been a see-saw ride but coming closer and closer to equilibrium.  I'm working on having the logical at the beck and call of the emotional.
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 11:27:19 PM »

I'm managing to wreck ALL of it lately.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »

I'm managing to wreck ALL of it lately.

<<<<hugs>>>>

look at it this way, sometimes we have to rend before we can repair Wink
seems to me that whenever I have changed coaches they have done exactly that ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: