partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 02:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Are You A Logical Or Emotional Dancer?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Are You A Logical Or Emotional Dancer?  (Read 5361 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2013, 04:50:03 AM »

Sounds like he gave you the old feedback sandwich. A constructive comment, preceded and followed by a compliment.  Works every time.Smiley
LOL!
my, you'd be a dangerous dance student Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2013, 08:07:01 AM »

Yep.

What can I say, though?  It's a communication technique that works. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »

I see so many people go around the floor like automatons.  There could be four completely different waltzes but they dance them all the same.  You may just as well have Spartacus banging the drums for the beat, it would be all the same.  One waltz was a beautiful opera type of waltz with the woman singing so emotionally, the story being that she is trying to tell her father she may as well be dead rather than not have her lover.  Instead of dancing the feeling of the song, like the dancers are the words of the song in motion, they all danced it flat and boring. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2013, 10:46:45 PM »

Is is emotion that's missing, or is it musicality?  Or are the two related?  Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 03:29:27 AM »

I see so many people go around the floor like automatons.  There could be four completely different waltzes but they dance them all the same.  You may just as well have Spartacus banging the drums for the beat, it would be all the same.  One waltz was a beautiful opera type of waltz with the woman singing so emotionally, the story being that she is trying to tell her father she may as well be dead rather than not have her lover.  Instead of dancing the feeling of the song, like the dancers are the words of the song in motion, they all danced it flat and boring. 
but how often do you see a judge mark musicality over technique? 

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 06:08:29 AM »

NOW my pro is like "you have to show emotion. you look constipated, what emotions do these dances make you feel" etc .... I am like WT?HuhHuh Huh Huh Huh grrrrrrrr

ah that's the Tom Cruise school of acting....

i think there must be a third category...Replicant maybe, feeling (physical) as opposed to feeling (emotional) the music.
I feel it in my body
I feel it in my bones..

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:13 AM »

but how often do you see a judge mark musicality over technique? 

I don't want to be curmudgeonly or anything,but why does it matter?  Of course competitive dancers want to be judged   well.  But I see two things, here. One.  There's an assumption that technical excellence has to be sacrificed,in order to achieve musicality and/or emotional expressiveness.  Is it not possible to have both?

And the second thing I see is having marks validate dancing.I think there's something wrong with that picture, especially when you consider that marks are always going to be relative, unless you're dancing uncontested.  So,theoretically,you could have technical prowess and emote all day long, and still lose. If you're  to maintain your balance, I think there has to be a standard other than what judges will reward.

Of course,I am not a competitive dancer,so this may all be hogwash.  I'm okay with that.*shrug*

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »

NOW my pro is like "you have to show emotion. you look constipated, what emotions do these dances make you feel" etc .... I am like WT?HuhHuh Huh Huh Huh grrrrrrrr

ah that's the Tom Cruise school of acting....

i think there must be a third category...Replicant maybe, feeling (physical) as opposed to feeling (emotional) the music.
I feel it in my body
I feel it in my bones..

well I do feel it in my body and in my bones Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »

you have to decide why you dance and what is important, if you dance to win then you have to know what the judges want, if you dont care then you can do what you like. We love to entertain and when we loose that I dont think we would compete anymore.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »

you have to decide why you dance and what is important, if you dance to win then you have to know what the judges want, if you dont care then you can do what you like. We love to entertain and when we loose that I dont think we would compete anymore.

Very smart. Smiley

I HOPE one wouldn't have to sacrifice musicality/emotion to compete successfully but, if it came down to having to sacrifice musicality to please the judges, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile.

Which I suppose is a digression on my part.   Oops.  BOT, sorta.  I think both logic and emotion have a place, and that the best dancers have both.  Maybe not in equal proportions and probably not in even proportions throughout ones dance career.  But I think both need to be there.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »

you are right that you should have both - but thats not the conundrum.  How do you judge if one couple is technically accurate but musically boring and another is the opposite? 

I know what judges do Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »

Fair enough.  Cool

Clearly,those judges haven't been watching enough Dancing With the Stars. *grin*

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »

Fair enough.  Cool

Clearly,those judges haven't been watching enough Dancing With the Stars. *grin*

having watched a few seasons of DWTS in Australia some comments seem right out of left wing to what you see on TV I am sure they change things for the audience at hand and they don't get too technical.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:19 PM »

True.

I was sarcastically commenting on the fact that (it seems to me) there have been times when not only did DWTS judges not weigh technical skill ahead of emotion, heck. There've been times when I could have sworn that the am's life story weighed more heavily than the dancing.

Of course, that's just one woman's jaundiced opinion.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »

True.

I was sarcastically commenting on the fact that (it seems to me) there have been times when not only did DWTS judges not weigh technical skill ahead of emotion, heck. There've been times when I could have sworn that the am's life story weighed more heavily than the dancing.

Of course, that's just one woman's jaundiced opinion.

well here the way it is worded it is not the best dancer that wins it is the most popular....

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: