partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 12:58:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Regions
| | | |-+  Aussieland (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | | |-+  Australian Competition Reports!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Australian Competition Reports!  (Read 4549 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 05:58:37 AM »

Thanks for the report, as you can tell we did not go and one of the reasons was that our friends called to tell us not to come. I have no Idea what his aims are as he will now alienate many studios from participating in what was meant to be a uniting tool.

It is almost unless it is my way then there is no way....and where is the betterment of the sport.  Very sad state of affairs. I will speak with our coaches and get their perspective on it tomorrow.

Even though this experience has happened I am hoping for positive things int he coming year, I am hoping that many people that i know will come on board and join the committee so it is not stacked with one school.

I hope that you will look to DASA for the competitions and let  Mr. (who shall remain nameless here) run something that will fall in a hole and he will have no-one else but himself to blame.

He must notify school of any changes as part of FATD rules I would have thought. Let me find out more and I will add my comment later.

Sorry it was not the experience you had hope for...

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 06:03:23 AM »

We'd sort of been expecting it. he's been slowly trying to take control. Still, we will stick to the decent competitions that are awesome from now on.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 06:04:52 AM »

Wow.  And there is no organization to turn to?

Lets hope you can graduate out of social dance competitions - yours makes 'strictly ballroom' sound like the olympicss

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 06:09:52 AM »

Wow.  And there is no organization to turn to?

Lets hope you can graduate out of social dance competitions - yours makes 'strictly ballroom' sound like the olympicss

This person was born out of that era..it is time to move on.....changes are afoot....very disappointing outcome.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »

I think he needs an active boot.  It can be done - just get a group of parents together ...

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 07:58:37 AM »

Problem is, the majority of competitors, and hence the majority of parents, are from his studio, and he's working it all so they're favoured.

The other ones are too scared.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »

Problem is, the majority of competitors, and hence the majority of parents, are from his studio, and he's working it all so they're favoured.

Then get together with people FROM his studio.  I am sure you will find a lot that want the competitions to be fair too.  I mean whats the point of winning something if the thing was rigged?  Its a hollow victory to anyone with ethics...

The other way is to see if you can get the local amateur organization invovled.  Point out to them that their future dancers are heralding from a corrupt competition system.  What sort of quality dancers and what sort of respect for rules are they to expect?  All they have to do is to send a representative to the competition and that in itself would result in big changed - all the rigging would have to be done under the covers - and a seasoned adjudicator would be very quick to spot it anyway.

I should come down myself... You could threaten them with that.  Ever wonder where the ee came from in 'angree' Cheesy

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »

report on the competition on Saturday at the Greek Club.  It was very well run and seemed to flow quite well.  Juniors, juveniles and individuals were first off in the morning.  We arrived about 1pm and the presentations were just getting underway so they were running a little late.  We had expected to be able to get a car park after they had left but it wasn't to be.  We had to park about kilometer away.  Parking at South Brisbane/West End is always a chore.  The air conditioning in the venue actually coped quite well this year considering how hot it was on the weekend.  It was around 38C on Saturday. 
The adult programme started at about 1:15 and the last event was at 11pm so was a long day.  We bombed out in both our events - our standard was the first event.  It was at around 4.30 and of course the timing was wrong for eating so we went onto the floor hungry and sapped of energy.  I will keep a better eye on the time next time and make sure we keep our bodies fueled.  I also found the floor really slippery so I felt very insecure striding out.  Consequently, we looked like a couple of old grandparents at a social dance - next time will be better. Also we were put into the hardest heat.  We were dancing against 5 of the top couples in the state so didn't get a look in Grin  Our New Vogue went quite well though.  Again all the big guns were out at this competition.  I felt we danced well so was a little unhappy about not getting to the semi but hey that's life.  On the other hand our son and partner Macca's daughter Laura did exceptionally well.  They entered the Level 2 standard, the level 3 standard, Level 3 New Vogue and level 4 New Vogue and won all 4 events. They have now elevated to level 3 standard so will only have to dance on Saturday in Melbourne.  Makes it much easier for them.
Music as usual was fantastic.  Noosa Sound do a great job.  The guys who run it are ex professional ballroom dancers so know their stuff.  Had great variety and all at correct speeds. - mummsie  Grin
maccer
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »

I agree with Mummsie that it was a great competition. Laura and Kieran scooped the pool and were blown away to top the day off with a win a level 4 new vogue. It was the first time they'd danced in this event since elevating. My son Liam and his partner also did well. They came 3rd in the open latin, 4th in the open new vogue and 6th in the open ballroom. It was the first time they'd made it to the open ballroom final. So you can imagine how excited they were. They now are even more determined to learn all they can in England next year. We're all looking forward to the Aussies now.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »

Then get together with people FROM his studio.  I am sure you will find a lot that want the competitions to be fair too.  I mean whats the point of winning something if the thing was rigged?  Its a hollow victory to anyone with ethics...

The other way is to see if you can get the local amateur organization invovled.  Point out to them that their future dancers are heralding from a corrupt competition system.  What sort of quality dancers and what sort of respect for rules are they to expect?  All they have to do is to send a representative to the competition and that in itself would result in big changed - all the rigging would have to be done under the covers - and a seasoned adjudicator would be very quick to spot it anyway.

I should come down myself... You could threaten them with that.  Ever wonder where the ee came from in 'angree' Cheesy

There are a couple of juniors that we've become friends with and who think he's just a teensy bit controlling, and they don't like his methods, but they wont come anywhere else.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 12:15:10 AM »

Congratulations to them both for the fantastic results!  Smiley

(Yay for less competition for us at the Aussies) Roll Eyes Tongue

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 07:47:17 AM »

There are a couple of juniors that we've become friends with and who think he's just a teensy bit controlling, and they don't like his methods, but they wont come anywhere else.

he has older dances that dont dance anywhere else either. they have one couple (masters 1) and they only dance in the state and never travel...I dont know why he has to do that, but in the end they have to make the call and if they are happy there is nothing anyone else can do. We can only vote with our feet and not support his events. Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 07:47:51 AM »

Congratulations to them both for the fantastic results!  Smiley

(Yay for less competition for us at the Aussies) Roll Eyes Tongue

you are a wicked boy...back th that thesis you go Shocked

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 07:49:22 AM »

report on the competition on Saturday at the Greek Club.  It was very well run and seemed to flow quite well.  Juniors, juveniles and individuals were first off in the morning.  We arrived about 1pm and the presentations were just getting underway so they were running a little late.  We had expected to be able to get a car park after they had left but it wasn't to be.  We had to park about kilometer away.  Parking at South Brisbane/West End is always a chore.  The air conditioning in the venue actually coped quite well this year considering how hot it was on the weekend.  It was around 38C on Saturday. 
The adult programme started at about 1:15 and the last event was at 11pm so was a long day.  We bombed out in both our events - our standard was the first event.  It was at around 4.30 and of course the timing was wrong for eating so we went onto the floor hungry and sapped of energy.  I will keep a better eye on the time next time and make sure we keep our bodies fueled.  I also found the floor really slippery so I felt very insecure striding out.  Consequently, we looked like a couple of old grandparents at a social dance - next time will be better. Also we were put into the hardest heat.  We were dancing against 5 of the top couples in the state so didn't get a look in Grin  Our New Vogue went quite well though.  Again all the big guns were out at this competition.  I felt we danced well so was a little unhappy about not getting to the semi but hey that's life.  On the other hand our son and partner Macca's daughter Laura did exceptionally well.  They entered the Level 2 standard, the level 3 standard, Level 3 New Vogue and level 4 New Vogue and won all 4 events. They have now elevated to level 3 standard so will only have to dance on Saturday in Melbourne.  Makes it much easier for them.
Music as usual was fantastic.  Noosa Sound do a great job.  The guys who run it are ex professional ballroom dancers so know their stuff.  Had great variety and all at correct speeds. - mummsie  Grin

Thanks for the report, the slippery floor reminds me of Canberra, I danced like an old women, so I am trying to master the slippery floor, nothing worse than not stepping out, especially for us as we are tall...

Better luck next time.....We all have one of those comps..or two or three  Tongue

Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 10:41:52 PM »

had a chat to my teacher last night.  She said the biggest problem we had on Saturday was we were in the wrong heat.  There were 3 heats - 2 x 5 and 1 x 6.  We were in heat 3 with six couples and four of the 6 of us were the top dancers in the State.  She said if we had been in any other heat we would have got back to the semi.  Oh well better luck next time.  She actually judged the event and she thought we danced well. - mummsie
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: