partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 10:24:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Regions
| | | |-+  Aussieland (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | | |-+  Australian Competition Reports!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Australian Competition Reports!  (Read 4764 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »

I may have asked this before, but if you are over 50 can you compete in the Masters I if you choose to?
ee

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »

I may have asked this before, but if you are over 50 can you compete in the Masters I if you choose to?
ee

yes you can but usually only one or the other unless its a really small comp and they want numbers.  We were thinking of doing Masters 1 next comp instead of masters 2 - the field is not as strong and we might have a chance at a place Smiley - mummsie
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 07:46:34 AM »

interesting you say that, because locally Masters I is stronger....so it varies from state to state

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 06:30:12 AM »

Who shall we task to do the report for Premiere?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 07:38:55 AM »

well I am compiling a report for our local magazine on the premiere...but we can all give a perspective..... you can do the results if you want?

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 09:12:23 PM »

Saw one of your couples in here at the Canada Dancesport comp in Kingston last week - Robert Rowe & Doreen Hamilton - they did very well coming in Senior Ballroom. 

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 10:08:49 PM »

Saw one of your couples in here at the Canada Dancesport comp in Kingston last week - Robert Rowe & Doreen Hamilton - they did very well coming in Senior Ballroom. 

they look great dont they.  Rob is English but moved here several years ago.  When he started dancing with Doreen she was a beginner.  They are one of our local couples here in Brisbane - mummsie
maccer
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 01:35:08 AM »

They are such a great couple! Rob has been like a mentor to my son regarding his dancing. I'm so pleased they did well at your comp.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 03:12:10 AM »

Loved their dancing - I thought they had a shot for the top spot.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 01:07:27 AM »

I will post my view of the Premiere and the locals can certainly give a report also.
As someone that has come from interstate the comp was held in a great venue. The floor was a good size and I personally found it more sticky than slippery. It had a great ambiance. I believe there were record entires right through from Medalist through to Masters.

I was most impressed with the Youth and Adults the numbers were quite overwhelming considering where I come from. The standard was quite high. Everyone was very enthusiastic and tried their utmost best on the floor.

My only criticism were the food...which apparently is normal....and the Marshalling area..It was so noisy that you could not here the person calling the events. I think there should have been a monitor saying next event Huh??.  Also there could have bee a practice floor out the back instead of the carpet.

The PDOers SW/ZAC danced very well. I was pleased with our first performance at a major comp interstate. We learnt a lot and know what we have to work on.

It was a long day from 10.00 and not leaving till midnight.

Very enjoyable.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 05:26:15 AM »

Thanks for that report Q - it gives us a glimpse of dancesport in Australia.  I wonder if we should have a topic on that in the general dancesport area, though not quite sure what to call it.

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »

Great report!
Where did you go to eat? We went to the restaurant downstairs were they had a buffet and it was pretty good.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 05:06:35 AM »

no we did not leave the venue, did not realise that there were was more down stairs but by the time we had finished dancing it was quite late....

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 12:08:08 AM »

I know there are a few on this week-end so will be great to hear some reports from others. our next one is next week.

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 04:32:36 AM »

Well.

To start. Social comp this weekend. It started at about 10 (at least it was meant to) and was meant to finish around three.

Well, we started at 10.30 and finished at 6.30.

The events were so badly organised. They skipped ones without telling us, and just didn't put some in. DP and I spent quite a long time on our cha cha, because it is our weakest dance, and they didn't put it in. I was not happy.
Oh, and we had 6 modern waltzes too, when we only entered 2.
And then they stuffed up the entries so I was in a silver event.
They had massive long breaks in the middle of dances, for random photo shoots and congratulatory speeches. Like we care. Shut up and do it all at the end.

Oh, and for the first time, there was an interschool dance competition. Hosted at the event. All of the students were taught by the guy who is trying to run this thing. They get their own events, their own dance practises, and on-floor coaching and tips from the judges who taught them.

Oh, and because last comp they disqualified mym for sequins and she showed them all of the pictures of people with sequins who weren't disqualified, they banned taking pictures, and got in a professional photographer who had never shot dancing before.

And don't get me started on the politics. The aforementioned guy who is trying to run the thing (it's actually meant to be a panel of about 7 studio owners) walked up to mum while she was asking the photographer how much the digital prints are and said 'No-one gets my photos unless they go through me'. Our coach, who was judging on the day, heard this, and walked up to him and said 'Excuse me. They aren't your photos. They belong to the organisation.'
This sparked arguments and controversy, until our coach was sent home for 'creating trouble'
Meanwhile, the other guy continued to strut around as if he owned the place.

Then come time for presentations. More fail.
Someone managed to get a certificate who wasn't even there on the day. Two people drew for first, and only one of them was congratulated (and she was the one from their school). It was a sort of 'Congratulations for redeeming our school and almost beating them.' not a 'congratulations on your good dancing and for coming equal first.'
She wasn't even meant to be in the division. They say 'Thou shalt only go in your own age group, not dance up.' She danced up, and still got the certificate, because you know, the rules don't apply to their school.

And they had trophies for best all round theatrical - jazz, tap, and hip hop - rock and roll, and ballroom.

But none of their people won the ballroom (I'm pretty sure it was either us or another couple from another studio) so they didn't see fit to present it.

Oh, and they didn't actually run half of the events we entered in. Apparently there 'weren't enough people' even though the same amount of people from our studio entered.

Suffice to say that no-one at all from our studio is happy, and we wont be going back to support their farce of a dance competition.

I'd love to show you the photo that the photographer got of our oversway, but since said control-freak heard mum ask, he amended the rules so that a printout of all of the photos go to the studio owner, and can only be ordered via him. I don't know whether she'll put them up on her website or not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: