partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 05:24:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Regions
| | | |-+  Aussieland (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | | |-+  Australian Competition Reports!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Australian Competition Reports!  (Read 4547 times)
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:57 PM »

This section will be dedicated to competitions run in Australia.
The aim is  that a Aussie competitors that have attended a competition either as a competitor or a observer will write a short article on the event. Highlights, impressions numbers etc. This to promote a cross-state community of Ballroom dancers in all styles.

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:29 PM »

I'm sure there's much to be said about NCDC.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:32:16 PM »

this was our first time in Canberra for the NCDC, which I believe has been running for 17 years. The organisation was pretty tight and worked well most of the time. There were some hiccups that I know about, which I think will need to be addressed.
One incident was that they moved an event forward by over 2 hours and some of the competitiors had yet to arrive at the centre. When they did arrive they saw there peers on the dance floor. I dont believe they should be able to do that without contacting the competitors and the move should be no more than 45 minutes as most competitors would be there that time.

Otherwise I thought it was a great compeition with fanastic dancers. I know there are a few rumblings regarding who goes through finals etc. but that is never going to be an exact science and I think most of the time the right people won the events.

Food choices were ordinary and very limiting but that seems to be normal apparently.

Music was good but repetative...some interesting tracks were choosen for the Open.

I will be interested to read what others thought and what there expereince was

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »

During the weekend of 27 to 28 of June 2009 the FATD National Capital DanceSport Championships or NCDC where held in Canberra, ACT. With record entries (456 couples) the 2009 NCDC had its largest population of competitors which resulted in 2 long days of outstanding dance.

Starting on Saturday, the weekend began at 8.45 with the Masters II level 2 & 1 Latin American Championship. Running a tight schedule, the organisation managed to get dancers of all levels and all styles in time in the marshalling area where dancers where directed to one of the three entrée stations to the floor. A large display screen, opposite the stage and a display screen at the front of the lectern displayed the time, event number and identifying details for each event.

The level of dancing at all events was outstanding, often with qualifying rounds been fought to the bitter end. The result was an electrifying competition for two day where both competitors and general audience got treated with beautiful dancing. The big surprise was the high quality of sub-juvenile, juvenile and junior level of dancing. With a contingent total of over 75 couples they showed the crowds their performances which again was outstanding throughout the levels.

Victorian dancers collected over 40  first places which made them the most successful state of the championships but it does not demise the results of any win by the other states.

With 15 international entrées the NCDC Canberra got its international flavour which resulted in two first places and several top 3 places in the overall standing

The floor-show by Michael Malitowski & Joanna Leunis was spectacular.  It was certainly a privilege to have the current World Professional Latin American Champions dancing for us.

After 17 years the FATD NCDC Canberra has become a fascinating competition to attend and one that deserves the support of dancing Australia.

A word on available catering. The available foods and drinks was absolutely below standard, with no decent restaurants and or cafe in the vicinity of the event dancers and public had little or no choice but to buy junk foods. A word of advise to organisers would be to take the dance fraternity serious and make sure a healthy range of food at "normal" prices are available.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:42:08 PM by Vagabond » Logged

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:42:50 PM »

Went to the ADS Winter festival held last Sunday as a spectator.  I had intended to dance but because of health issues my stamina just wasn't up to it.  The comp started at 11am with the juniors, individual and social events.  Adult program started at 2pm.  It was held at the PCYC in Fortitude Valley which is the dancefloor that we happen to practice at on a Tuesday night.  A decided advantage for our son and partner.  They danced the level 1/2 and 2/3 Standard and New Vogue.  The standard of these events was very good.  They had 2 rounds in the 1/2 standard and new vogue but the level 2/3 were both straight finals.  Most of the events were straight out finals except for the level 1 events in all three styles and the Masters 2 Standard and New Vogue.  I think numbers were down slightly from last year because the comp was held on a Sunday. 
The floor was quite slippery in places and a lot of couples went down including some of the open couples.  Three went down in the Adult Open Standard Quickstep all at the same time at different corners so the slickness wasn't just on one part of the floor.
Towards the end of the evening they held a yearly Derby - one for adults and youth and one for the masters 1 and 2.  It is always a fun event although last year was funnier because as well as swapping partners the man and ladies had role reversals.  Competition finished around 9pm so at least it wasn't a late night for those of us who had to front up at work on Monday. 
There were plenty of opportunities to get up and stretch with general dancing.  The floor was a good size and the changing rooms were adequate I was told.  The music as always was excellent - Noosa Sound is the normal company.  The guy who owns it is a ballroom dance teacher so the tempi are always correct.  The only problem was the canteen ran out of all the hot foods around 6.30 so those waiting to finish dancing before they ate missed out. - mummsie
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:25:57 AM »

Thanks for that report Mummsie....Slippery floors seem to be everywhere...something that they have to think about especially from an injuries perspective.

Dance Forum
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 03:44:32 AM »

Awesome reports guys!!! Keep them coming!
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:09:23 AM »

the boys should list a report from the Southern Cross, I know that somethings have been listed else where but a report here would be great

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:31:38 AM »

Sorry we've been slack. Zac can do the morning report and I'll fill in on the afternoon/evening (or until when ever I was too drunk to remember anything  Tongue)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 06:20:42 AM »

Sorry we've been slack. Zac can do the morning report and I'll fill in on the afternoon/evening (or until when ever I was too drunk to remember anything  Tongue)

Roll Eyes what can I say...

look forward to  the reports

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:33:05 AM »

Ah, had completly forgotton about that.Will have to do in the next couple of days though...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »

great...look forward to it

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 07:48:35 AM »

I'm going to write a pre-comp report for the upcoming Social Dance Forum comp we've got next weekend.

It will be poorly run, badly organised, and all over the place. Mum is helping with the program (though not officially), and they're adding events left, right, and centre. The rock n roll people have got up and complained that the age groups in the rest of the competition don't match their competitive age groups, so now we have (in the over 16s lot) Adult, Masters I (Over 30), Masters II (over 40), and Masters III (Over 50). They're pressing those groups on to the rest of the competition, and really it doesn't matter, because in the ballroom side that's going to put maybe 1-2 people in each event, and they'll have to combine anyway!
Also the RnR group have been making noises about a certain event they wanted not being put in. It's not our fault they didn't get it on the entry form. Should've left that for a next time, not added 6 more events.
To top that, there is no starting time on the entry form. Who knows when people are going to turn up. The two major schools are going to be 'in the know' because they organise it, but everyone else is going to be very confused.
Basically, it's really unprofessional. Events are added after the entry forms are out. Forms etc. aren't proof read. The program used to be a complete muddle, with double, even triple events, but since mum's taken over she's put loads of time into getting it working and then they go screw her around.

I will report on the exact workings of it after the competition, but that's just my forecast.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 08:23:24 AM »

The rock n roll people have got up and complained that the age groups in the rest of the competition don't match their competitive age groups, so now we have (in the over 16s lot) Adult, Masters I (Over 30), Masters II (over 40), and Masters III (Over 50). They're pressing those groups on to the rest of the competition, and really it doesn't matter, because in the ballroom side that's going to put maybe 1-2 people in each event, and they'll have to combine anyway!

Is that even allowed?
I thought all competitions must adhere to the ADS rules, which means MastersI (over 35) and MastersII (over 55) Huh
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 08:28:59 AM »

It's not an official competition I guess, just something so us social dancers can feel competent.

It's quickly turning into a massive bias-fest though
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: