partnerdanceonline.com
April 19, 2014, 06:41:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Elisedance Escapades  (Read 4953 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »

Last comp we (DPand I) had very mixed results - and I have to admit the dancing was a bit too stressful to really be fun.  The Big Night - saturday - we both felt we danced awfully and won all four heats (just 3 couples - but ones that are competetive).  Sunday we danced well and came second to last (pre-champ, 5 couples) and tied dead last (IDSF championship 13 couples).  But worst we were angry with each other and ourselves.  It took a bit of time to settle down.  Key was a lesson with coach where he totally changed his tack.  Instead of focusing on technique or specifics we almost talked the whole lesson - and he gave us a practise schedule that is really only doing routine and then more routine finishing with a routines in competition timing...  But we did work on one aspect - a frame flaw pointed out by old-pro (remember him Smiley ). 

This practising has had amazing effects - I noticed it wed when we gave this routine thing a break - we danced and when we made an error we just carried on.  That is what we always talk about doing but something we were awful at.  I feel rather good about this....

so thats what we have done

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 11:40:15 PM »

This practising has had amazing effects - I noticed it wed when we gave this routine thing a break - we danced and when we made an error we just carried on.  That is what we always talk about doing but something we were awful at.  I feel rather good about this....

That's good.  What do you think was happening before?  Was it a matter of the quest for perfection being the enemy of "good enough"? 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 04:25:51 AM »

When we made an error practising we would immediately drop our connection - while this happens only rarely during a competition (sometimes there seems no alternative - such as if you are on different feet in QS) continuing was always very noticable both in our dancing and faces.  You have to change your attitude from 'dancing is only dancing when you get it right' to 'mistakes are a normal part of dancing, and dealing with them is a judgable plus'.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »

Started a new blog today - but on returning to the violin so not on PDO. 
http://violinredux.blogspot.com/

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 04:52:41 AM »

It finally happened to us: a competition where we were the only couple in the heat - and they did not put us in with another heat.  Not only that but we were the only full Championship couple (we always dance up from pre-champ) of the Amateur couples - for some reason the competitors in the other heats did not show.  Thus, we were the only 5 dance heat (which means we did the only vieneese waltz of the evening)!

We basically got to do our first competition showcase!  And I discovered something about myself. 

Back track a little: a few heats before we did pre-champ - I've reported on this already in the PDO results board - it went awfully.  All the things we have worked on and seemed fixed just fell apart.  But lets not belabour that!  Whats important here is that I got the olde performance anxiety thing again - I kind of get frozen and feel disconnected with my body.

Fast forward to the 'showcase' - it went wonderfully.  DP commented after that we have never danced so well in a competition, and I agree.  I was fluid, responsive, waiting, expressive.  I could feel it - and, better still, so could the audience which was totally with us.  They clapped, they encouraged and at the end they gave us a wonderful ovation.  It really was like being a star. 

So what did I learn?  That really I am not a competitor.  I am a performer - and no, I can not perform to people who are judging me or to beat my fellow dancers.  Its just not me.  However, give me one smiling appreciative face in the audience and I am there - my real dancing ability comes out. 

And that raises the question: do I stop competing?  Maybe.  But first what I obviously have to do is to see if I can NOT compete at a competition - but instead perform.  I'm not sure if I can pull it off - whether the call of the audience can match the intimidation of the judges. 

Next week we compete at a mid-sized competition in Montreal.  For sure there are going to be lots of couples this time.  Can I use what I just discovered dancing?  I don't know.  Like I said, the whole judging/competing thing may be just too strong to permit my performing side to come out.  Maybe it will work sometimes and not others.... lets see...

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 06:06:17 AM »

Perhaps, rather than concentrating on the judges or the other couples, you can concentrate on te audience when you compete. Then you'll feel like you're performing for them, and the judges just happen to be a part of that audience. And other couples? What about them. They will dance how they dance, and you can worry when you've finished Tongue

Just my take on things...I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, and I look forward to a time when I, too, can be as relaxed.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 06:28:06 AM »

Perhaps, rather than concentrating on the judges or the other couples, you can concentrate on te audience when you compete. Then you'll feel like you're performing for them, and the judges just happen to be a part of that audience. And other couples? What about them. They will dance how they dance, and you can worry when you've finished Tongue

I wish it were that simple - the negative forces are not conscious ones and, hence, not subject to my logic or wishes.  It is, however, something I am going to try - maybe there is a key there.  If not I really have to think whether competing really is the right thing for me to do....

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 10:44:09 PM »

Glad you finally found that out about yourself Elise.  I doubt there are too many people out there who do well trying to please the judges. 

I think your case is more the norm than the exception.  That's why I've been told by almost every single coach I've ever had to forget that there are judges and not to care what they think.  Just dance for you, the audience, whatever makes you happy. 
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »

I don't think much about the judges but rather think of each competition as a performance.  I will wink, lift my brows or smile to friends or people I know in the audience.  Not that I'm not trying to dance well as of course I am but I want to have fun with it.  At the last competetion we decided to just be casual and not push it too much.  We had been away nine days and drove a long way to get back in time for the competition, plus we had some big wins the weekend before, so this one was going to be fun first.  I don't think we will be able to be that layed back at the next competitions and though I was very unhappy at how I let my posture go to H**l in a handbasket it was nice to be able to just let it go.  Now we have to put the posture, lines and movement back in with that same laid back feel. 

Take that feeling of just being as one with your partner and audience ee and put it into your performance.  Lets face it, by Open we are the entertainment so go for it.  At this level you are a competitior but for the audience you have to be a performer too.  Most don't sse or care about the technique, just your presentation and how you entertain them.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 09:55:27 PM »

Glad you finally found that out about yourself Elise.  I doubt there are too many people out there who do well trying to please the judges. 

I think your case is more the norm than the exception.  That's why I've been told by almost every single coach I've ever had to forget that there are judges and not to care what they think.  Just dance for you, the audience, whatever makes you happy. 
So you don't think there are competitors that are actually driven by the competition itself?  I think I know several - a competition makes them do their best.  I'm apparently the opposite variety Undecided

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »

A competition does make us dance us our best, but I doubt that it's the judges that bring it out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: