partnerdanceonline.com
August 22, 2014, 07:49:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Elisedance Escapades  (Read 5491 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:43 AM »

yes.  But why?? I've been playing for nearly 2 yr (after a decades break) whereas I've been dancing continuously for nearly 9 years...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »

I think its got something with the dependency on the lead - maybe I am awful at giving up control.  I can do it but its really against my inner spirit...

Wonder if DSV would have an insight...

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »

yes.  But why?? I've been playing for nearly 2 yr (after a decades break) whereas I've been dancing continuously for nearly 9 years...
I don't know, it's the opposite for me, i have been playing music for about 10 years and always get really nervous when playing and while i play, whereas with dancing which i have been doing for 2 - 3 years i am only nervous when i'm about to go onto the floor, after that im perfectly fine

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »

We should swap notes Smiley

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 02:00:49 PM »

Maybe because there's more potential for injury on the dance floor?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 02:04:33 PM »

Its an idea, but that really does not bother me at all.  I feel very stable on my feet - and I love to careen around the floor by myself so dancing with a partner is timid by comparison ...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 09:20:33 PM »

Or a combo of both.  Congrats ee, it took alot of gumption to get out there and do that, many people would never even try.  Hmmm, now if you could put a tin cup at your feet to collect money to help pay for dance lessons.  Just a thought.   Grin
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:23:28 PM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 09:33:49 PM »

one lesson might take one month... life is too short.
come to think of it Imight get more dancing on the sidewalk Smiley

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 09:55:49 PM »

Hey, play and dance.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 04:05:07 AM »

- I thought about that, dancing while providing my own music.  That way we could never be off time Cheesy

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »

I haven't posted here ina while - seems I keep abreast of things on the other topics but now I feel the sap rising again and need to ruminate.

Sap?  Well, a few months ago I decided to stop pro-am and focus on AM.  Well, that hasn't changed (er, is this a dog-did-not-bite-man story??).  But today we had a lesson with pro (as in pro-am pro) who is also our AM coach and as a part of teaching us new step sequences I got to dance with him again.  Much as I love to dance with DP I found I that this was amazing in a different way and I started to think about.........OSB.  Its like a creature living in my brain.  Each year for some reason OSB rises up as a pilgrimage that I have to do.  2 years ago I competed with Chris - on very short notice and the best I can say is that we did not come last (not far off but hey, twas not bad for such a short training period).  Last year I competed with A - it was our third competition together and I was better prepared but I still freaked out wiht nervousness.  Nonetheless we made it into the quarterfinals and ended 19th out of 45 (or so) couples, not bad at all really.  I'm feeling like this year I could do it without nervousness as I would not be scared of dancing with A.  The question is really should I?  There are several issues.  First and formost I don't want to upset DP at all.  He is still my main dance focus and I want us to be very competetive together.  Still, OSB is dancing in the stars and I don't think that DP would be upset at all - in particular because he does not like to travel whereas I just love to dance in far-off places.  The second consideration is money.  I'm a bit short this year with a major house renovation - but how will I feel 20 years from now having led my life conservatively saving money?  It seems so trivial even now....  The third, and perhaps my main concern is: does A really want to dance with me?

This may sound odd but when I stopped doing pro-am in favor of AM A did not react at all.  Its that depressing aspect of pro-am competition that its half business and half partnership (or maybe I am deluding myself its 80/20???) and I felt as if the partnership aspect simply was not valued...

I'm not sure how to sort the last one out.  Well, actually I know - and that is simply to talk to A about it and see his reaction.  If I am to have another shot at OSB I can only do it if he really wants to too - not if he feels its just providing a pro for a heat.  Can't do it that way.  But don't know the alternative...

musings indeed........

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 11:58:18 PM »

Who's A?? Your Pro??
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:22:14 AM by dlgodud » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 01:05:08 AM »

yup. 

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »

I would say, think about what you can look back at and say, "I'm glad I did it".  Then do it.  Don't let money factor into the equation, at all.  Money can always be made back from scratch.  Time and opportunity is another story.

In my case, my partner wanted to do pro-am again as she used to be good at it, then took hold with the pro one day and went, "oh, this doesn't feel like it used to at all".  She then realized that I feel better to dance with than the pro, and DSV's sister puts all men my partner has danced with to shame, so my partner didn't think it was going to be as much fun as she remembers it to be [patting my own back].
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:41:21 AM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 11:58:17 AM »

Now that might be the best outcome of all...
And DO add that to the brag topic.  Tis a very nice one Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: