partnerdanceonline.com
July 25, 2014, 06:18:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Elisedance Escapades  (Read 5372 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: June 30, 2009, 01:22:20 AM »

Hi all - I've been thinking about this for a while, a personal blog spot.  A topic that is All Yours.  You set the content - others are welcome to reply - but its your topic and if you want it edited, just ask a mod (unfortunately, I can't set editing privaleges to you so thats the next best thing). 

One big things in my life is getting my nature neuroscience paper finished - publishing a paper is a long process but few papers go this long!  Originally submitted to the journal in November last year it went through two long reviews before being accepted - and now they needed us to rush in 3 days to make our changes and resubmit so that it can come out in August (cross your fingers that there are no more changes needed).  BTW its on a protein that has been identified as a risk factor in several severe psychiatric disorders.

As you may have guessed I have a near pathological need to do everything!!  Maybe more than near... although in many ways I have settled down.  I used to have what my ex used to describe as 'hobbies du jour' - passionate interest that would come, I would go totally bonkers over and then mysteriously they would disappear - things like playing chess or ink painting.  As I've grown older the passions have not abated - but the changing of interests has slowed down, now to a trickle so that I have a few that I put enormous energy into:

Science - a passion that has survived the test of time.
Dance - no explanation needed I hope - two partners and PDO are testamen enough Wink
PDO itself - I have no idea how much effort I spend here but it serves so many roles: community, networking, creatifvity, leadership - you name it. 
Violin - who would have predicted this one Wink 
Cooking - or this.  I cooked for a family for over 20 years and always liked it but now I get real pleasure from cullinary creatifvity.

I think there are more!!  They will appear no doubt and I will write more on the above of course....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 06:13:35 AM »

Got the final acceptance on the final verson of the manuscript yesterday.  The end of an amazing publishing odyssy that started last November.  Funny thing is I only submitted it originally to get the rejection - the idea was to then write an article on how hard it was to correct the scientific record - to publish a paper that negates what was published before.  I was going to go into the difference between a negative study and a contrary one.  I never expected that we would actually end up having it published!  Don't cha love life?

Had my first evening lesson with A yesterday, I love early mornings when the studio is empty but last night there were two group lessons going on at the same time.  The studio owner kindly came over and asked if we had enough room - she obviously values having A there because of his current status in the Canadian dance scene, its a plum for her - which works out to being treated wonderfully for me too Wink  We worked on waltz and a delicious side effect of the crowded floor was that A could not (instinctively would not) stick to the routine so much of the lesson was total lead/follow.  I think I quite surprized him as to how good I am at that, you can tell when the man starts to have a good time Wink

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:42:20 PM »

Week is slowing down - went for a fabulous violin lesson last night (see instruments topic) and scheduled to practise with DP this afternoon - he's all fired up as we are playing with a lot of open routine stuff - finally!  It seems we get open steps much later in training than elsewhere - I think its not unusual to spend at least 5 years in syllabus before embarking on open here - and both of us have been doing it much longer due to breaks and other directions.

Really pleased with how PDO is going too - its one of the nicest places I hang out Smiley  C has stepped in and done a terrific job in admin doing a lot of the stuff that I was trying to manage but really do not understand (thanks C!!) and MK is a sure and steady hand with oodles of common sense.  And if that doesn't work she will probably run a motorbike over you... Smiley

Nearly finished another paper - its a revision for one that was submitted to the Journal of Neurochemistry.  I think its in pretty good shape - lets hope the reviewers do too.  Next up single calcium channel conductance.  And if you understand that perhaps you are looking for a post doc position Roll Eyes

Weekend looks quiet for a change.  Hope to play a lot - though some time will have to be taken carrying trash Undecided  We have a provincial worker strike on and the stuff is starting to pile...

Else things look fairly well under control - pro is competing in NY this weekend so no lessons till next week....

Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 07:51:08 AM »

Love your blog, Elise.  So nice to be able to flesh out in your mind's eye a personality that you get to know on the interwebs.  Maybe I'll start my own bloggyspot.  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:47:07 AM »

PLEASE do - nice as all the topics are I think we can comunicate something more peprsonal here...

dancingfool
Intermediate Bronze

I am Canadian!

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 11:23:14 PM »

May I say how happy I am that there is intelligence in the dance universe?
 Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
I find your posts fascinating and am delighted that you now have a blog.

DF

If you aren't on your way out to dance then you are going the wrong way...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 03:11:24 AM »

how sweet of you to drop in - and for the lovely and generous note Wink

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:33:11 AM »

Ah, saturday morning with the sun streaming into JG's breakfast diner.  The front windows draw back entirely so the place is like a patio, babbling with diners (the total spectrum from financiers to the guys (sitting next to me) who sell  a 'newspaper' with real info but really designed for panhandlers to have a legit reason for their trade.  All nice guys, respectful friendly and humble, a combination, I am sorry to say, I don't see a wole lot of with my peers at work.

Helen is our server this morning she is a pile of energy, small, scrawny and with a strong greek accent.  Every thing is taken care of with precision and care - I even get a small pile of mints for my post-prandial blahs (still haven't figured out what they are caused by).  Breakfast (for me) consists of over-medium eggs, whole wheat toast, one small breakfast link, no potatoes and.... a HUGE pile of fried sliced tomatoes - well done (best if slightly blackened).  The first ritual is to peel the skin off each slice using my knife and fork - which is a zen moment since it has to be done with patience else they break apart.  The next is to eat the meal making sure that the last bite has all the elements at the same time and without even any tomato juice on the plate.  Compulsive? Perhaps but calming, satisfying and predictable and routine - such a contrast to the day ahead.

there I blogged on breakfast - though I omitted the other crucial element - my computer on which I write as I think.  Here I can PDOodle to my hearts content and I have time to read and digest the various worlds of my PDO comrades. 

I can't help but speculate that the end of DF, as hurtful as it was, was somehow dictated by a bigger mission - I mean if it had not happened PDO would not exist.  I just can't even imagine that - and I know full well that that is true for many of you all.  I am also so proud of us that we did it without creating a real schism - nothing we did (other than putting energies here) could really be taken as harmful to DF but just as providing a different outlet.  Thats evident from those that came and bonded and those that came but found it was not their cup of tea. 

Perhaps one could have predicted the need for PDO from the discourse on the topic I started (and also that preceded it) on the 'quantal shift'.  It brought to the fore a radically different way of approaching dancing that obviously jibed with a small but significant fraction of DFers.  I see this as one of the truly distinguishing aspects of PDO.  While most of our posts are in the chat and funstuff areas, our philosophical heart seems to be in the creation of an open and tollerant home for this thinking.  I hasten to add that this is not for everyone but it is clearly for a certain element of dancers and one that reaches into a mysterious and perhaps even byzantine history of ballroom.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 03:21:25 AM »

Last night chatted with my best friend.  I mentioned somewhere that she went to her first signing lesson last week (she is currently in her late 50s) and discovered that after singing Alto all her life she could easily hit high C and was a soprano.   Today she went to her second music lesson and learned that actually she could hit a high E and has a 3 octave range.  She demonstrated - it gave me goose bumps.  Where on earth did that voice come from?  She was a bit sad that it took this long to find out since she might have been a musician - but who knows, if she had known earlier maybe she would have ruined her voice and this might be a treasure preserved for her.  Besides, better to find out now than not find out at all. 

Speaking of music, playing the violin seems to have changed form a delicious amusement to almost a need.  I hope thats healthy (I don't want an obsession - or maybe I fear more a crash of interest?) but playing seems to exhaust an inner buildup that I can't access any other way.  No idea if this is going anywhere, and really I don't think I care.  Thats a nice thing for me too as I tend to be very competetive and set myself unreachable goals.  Here its just about playing I think....

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »

Of all the places, you've been quiet here Elise!  I expect something good after OSB!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 04:47:33 PM »

I suppose I spend so much time cutting everyone else's lawns I don't have time to tend my own garden! Cheesy

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 07:44:56 AM »

Dear Diary:

went to a party at a wealthy neighbours house with two friends - a flautist and pianist - L and J.  A noisy and fun affair - hardly knew anyone but met lots, some really nice people.  Host has an insurance business and partner is finishing her PhD - so the mix was quite eclectic with a bunch of locals thrown in.  The three of us played one trio - J on his grand piano.  Trouble was there was no arrangement for people to actually listen so they carried on talking and you had to actually stand next to us to hear the music.  At one point the talking got so loud L couldn't hear where we were (the piece is interleving and not easy to follow without listening to the other players. 

Still, it went very well for my first 'gig' - I wasn't nervous at all and felt I played as well as I can - even got some compliments after.... Wink
ee

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 07:57:30 AM »

It sounds like a very nice first 'gig' it's much better to start off somewhere where people arn't specifically listening to your playing intently to ease the nerves, and give you a good base to build up your performances Smiley

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »

I think thats right - but I'm interested why I did not feel any anxiety, in contrast to dancing - after all, I did not know it was going to be that noisy before hand.  I think there's an important clue there but can't quite figure out what its telling me... presumably something about dance partners being more anxiety provoking than chamber music ones Undecided

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 08:33:39 AM »

or that you have more confidence within yourself in regards to music?

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: