partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116184 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Keep that tail bone tucked under
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Keep that tail bone tucked under  (Read 2344 times)
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« on: June 24, 2009, 03:21:09 AM »

Now i know most of us have been told this at one time or another during our dancing, but after being told it in a lesson last week i'm unsure as to what causes the infamous protruding ass and what can be done to stop it.

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:36:27 AM »

Now i know most of us have been told this at one time or another during our dancing.

Zac

Sorry Zac, I was never told to do that.......I was told to get my center "2" more active so that the "asset" appeared to be under me.

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:14:14 AM »

I was told the same zac originally but now, no.  If you force your butt forward you will put a stress on your back that can be dangerous in the long term.  What I leared is to dance with my hips slightly flexed - as you do with your knees (you never really straighten except in standard - lets hope I don't get corrected on that too Cheesy).   

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 07:22:23 AM »

I think you have to put you balance as Dora says in the centre, by doing so you tuck your hips under and forward, and me with a sway back it is always a challenge. but some dances I am much better at it...staying low knees bent, might also help

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 09:13:41 AM »

I have the same "problem".

My solution? The heck with it...just dance naturally!
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »

I think you have to put you balance as Dora says in the centre, by doing so you tuck your hips under and forward, and me with a sway back it is always a challenge. but some dances I am much better at it...staying low knees bent, might also help

ok ...Q ...um ....I have a sway back to ... this just gets weirder ... yep also working on this.

Z....my pro has said the same to me too

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »

This is nothing like what my instructor tells me at all!
I'm almost moving my pelvis away from my instructor as we move, with one side more pronounced so I can assume turn. 

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »

A big cause of this is leaning forwards when you're stepping backwards.  Mainly, you just have to be conscious of it; it's semi-natural to lean forwards somewhat when you take a back step.  Don't over-reach the step; that helps.  If your connection with your partner is a bit shaky, you may have to let the frame breathe a bit to avoid pulling on your partner, which will also cause you to lean forwards.  
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »

Well, since he practically positions me, I'm not sure if I'm leaning to far in or not.  I'm certainly not doing the kind of forward poise I learned from my last instructor.

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 12:45:08 PM »

I was told the same zac originally but now, no.  If you force your butt forward you will put a stress on your back that can be dangerous in the long term.  What I leared is to dance with my hips slightly flexed - as you do with your knees (you never really straighten except in standard - lets hope I don't get corrected on that too Cheesy).   

I would personally totally agree here.

If you tuck the hips forward (or tailbone forward) you will lock up the joints that should help you move. You could also put severe stress on the spine. Mind you they do, do this action in the "Traditional School of Thought". I think it might be one of the reasons that not many dance this way any more. The couples that do this also learn to push through their legs and feet. Lately there has been many complains from these few couples of pain and even injuries to the back, neck and knees. I would be a little careful with doing this if I was you.

I was told that you should have what is called an “athletic posture”. I was told to keep all my joints slightly flexed so that they are ready for use. I was actually told to stick my butt out to help me move a lot. Look at other sports and then stand them up in your imagination. You could also use a recording of top sports people, play it in slow-motion and tilt your head so that they are vertical to the floor.

Just my 2 cents worth

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »

OK, I will give the way to get the posture I was told to do, in the advanced section.

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »

I would personally totally agree here.

If you tuck the hips forward (or tailbone forward) you will lock up the joints that should help you move. You could also put severe stress on the spine. Mind you they do, do this action in the "Traditional School of Thought". I think it might be one of the reasons that not many dance this way any more. The couples that do this also learn to push through their legs and feet. Lately there has been many complains from these few couples of pain and even injuries to the back, neck and knees. I would be a little careful with doing this if I was you.

I was told that you should have what is called an “athletic posture”. I was told to keep all my joints slightly flexed so that they are ready for use. I was actually told to stick my butt out to help me move a lot. Look at other sports and then stand them up in your imagination. You could also use a recording of top sports people, play it in slow-motion and tilt your head so that they are vertical to the floor.

Just my 2 cents worth

Dora-Satya Veda

Yes!
You would be so pleased with my instructor, DSV.  He must have taken everything very much to heart because this is exactly what I am doing!

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 02:18:48 PM »

Yes!
You would be so pleased with my instructor, DSV.  He must have taken everything very much to heart because this is exactly what I am doing!

I am so happy to hear that, DALD. I will remember to compliment him next time I see him.

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »

Yes!

I am so happy to hear that, DALD. I will remember to compliment him next time I see him.

I know he will be pleased to hear it.
He is very hard working and, I think, truly has ambition to be the best he can be.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »

Well, since he practically positions me, I'm not sure if I'm leaning to far in or not.  I'm certainly not doing the kind of forward poise I learned from my last instructor.

Now that you mention it, what I was talking about is probably more of a problem for leads.  Lead takes a back step but doesn't have a good connection, so follow doesn't react immediately.  Lead's legs and hips go, but his torso doesn't...  Shocked
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: