partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 04:35:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What's Happening to Competition Attendance
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: What's Happening to Competition Attendance  (Read 2514 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »

yes have decided that we cant travel more than four times in a year...each time it is 500-1,000 per trip, plus the local comps...so can go over budget...it is not worth  it

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »

Just wondered - is this still an issue or are we now already in the post-recession bounce Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2009, 04:00:37 PM »

We're still down around here.  I think we may be trending back up a bit, but definitely not back where we were.  I haven't talked to sister last few comps to ask about entries.  Top teachers are back up over 200 entries though (comps in total I think are 700-850, which is the number that's down)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 03:20:27 AM »

i really don't go to enough comps to follow attendance trends, but I think that dance comps may well be like other businesses.  In a down economy, there's a shakedown.  Regardless of the economy, the cream rises to the top.  Others compete with each other to survive.

Hmm.  Not sure I'm making sense.

i don't remember the exact statistic, but a disproportionately large percentage of Fortune 100 companies (the highest earning 100 companies in America) were founded during the Great Depression. Doesn't make sense.  Except it does.  Those companies were doing the right things to succeed.  The economic climate didn't matter.  The determination of the founders and the quality of products/services offered mattered.

Same deal with comps, IMV.  The quality comps (however you define quality) will succeed despite the lingering poor economy.  The inexpensive comps and/or ones that are close to a large dancing population will probably do fine, as well.  Others may struggle or die. *shrug*

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 05:58:45 AM »

well I can tell you that both competitors and audience are both down. People are feeling the squeeze financially, as well as job security. we are looking at the prices on competitions to keep it reasonable. That is as long as we can keep the overheads low... You cant keep loosing money but we are mindful of the costs.

I think there is a lot of choice and governing bodies must do a better job of marketing the sport.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 02:27:43 PM »

I think dancesport has become stylized - and rather boring.  Much as I don't particularly care for the shift to extreme gymnastics for some dancers, at least its an attempt to diversify the sport. 

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 02:52:16 AM »

I think dancesport has become stylized - and rather boring.  Much as I don't particularly care for the shift to extreme gymnastics for some dancers, at least its an attempt to diversify the sport. 

stylized in what way?

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 05:23:29 AM »

By 'stylized' I mean that what you can do is very defined.  There is only one way to do each thing 'correctly' and if you did a new move or modified an established one - it would be marked by most judges as wrong, even in open competition.  Thus, there is very little room for creativity and true expression other than by how you emote the standard steps.

The analogy is (forgive me) to playing music.  If you play jazz you are expected to improvise - play whatever comes out of your heart.  The accuracy of that is less important than what you are trying to say.  However, when you play classical music your intent is to express the composer's wish; you act as a conduit.  While its legit to add your own emotion to the piece you can not (should not) change the notes and you also need to respect the composer's frame - say they wrote baroque music you can't play it like a romantic one.

So ballroom - in particular dancesport - has become like classical music - or ballet if you like - and has departed from free-style entirely.  Contrast that to the dancing of Ginger Rodgers/Fred Astaire for example where the whole idea was to come up with new exciting moves to impress and affect the audience. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: