partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:00:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What's Happening to Competition Attendance
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: What's Happening to Competition Attendance  (Read 2512 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 02:06:44 AM »

Yes, I watched it on Saturday. I just watched the quarter final of the smooth rising star on Friday.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 02:42:08 AM »

we have friends doing the same almost doing a fly in and fly out comp. Cuts down on expenses. Roll Eyes that way they can do more competitions during the year.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 02:46:05 AM »

Yes, I watched it on Saturday. I just watched the quarter final of the smooth rising star on Friday.

Any thoughts on Lindsey Rebecca Hall and Chris Larsen?  Bright yellow dress if I'm not mistaken.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »

Astaire Awards Championships and our regionals seemed smaller this year (though the level of competitors in pro comp was by far the highest I've seen).  Wisconsin was way up this year though.  They were running heats until 1am or so, and final night ballroom was completley packed, every seat in house and then standing room only all the way to the walls in every corner of ballroom.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »

I'm hoping that this season we will see a turn-around and past and new people will be coming out.  I don't think we will know until the october comp since many may not travel to Kingston.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

Any thoughts on Lindsey Rebecca Hall and Chris Larsen?  Bright yellow dress if I'm not mistaken.

Hmm, don't remember anyone wearing bright yellow there. There was a bunch of red dresses as I remember, it was very hard to keep track of them visually, especially in RS, where every red dress ended up in heat 2. Mazen is one of my favorites, so I was watching them, and then there was another couple there, I used to take lessons from him, so I was watching him, too.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

Actually, she has a red dress too and she could have been wearing that.  Red lace bodice with long sleeves, red satin skirt with a slit all the way up the left leg, white underskirt and white faux-collar, with a very open neck.  Sound familiar?
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 03:44:40 PM »

Actually, she has a red dress too and she could have been wearing that.  Red lace bodice with long sleeves, red satin skirt with a slit all the way up the left leg, white underskirt and white faux-collar, with a very open neck.  Sound familiar?

Yes, I remember a red dress with a white collar. Although can't say anything specific about them, because like I said, when there were about 6 or 7 red dresses on the floor at the same time, it was really hard to keep track of one couple.
Me
pre-bronze

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »

I think people are just trying to cut back on spending right now. I used to be able to maintain a rotating wardrobe by selling off costumes and buying new ones... but since January I have sold very, very little. My assumption is that people are not competing this year like they were the last or if they are, they are making do with what they wore last year.

Ready-made and custom Swarovski jewelry designed for ballroom dancers.
***http://ballroomjewelry.ecrater.com/***
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 12:42:51 PM »

I think people are just trying to cut back on spending right now. I used to be able to maintain a rotating wardrobe by selling off costumes and buying new ones... but since January I have sold very, very little. My assumption is that people are not competing this year like they were the last or if they are, they are making do with what they wore last year.

I think people who do want to compete, find ways to cut expenses elsewhere, and that includes holding on to their dresses longer. I actually got a new dress made this year though, because I got this tip about an eastern european company which makes professional quality dresses for about 1/3 of what I paid for a dress like that made in US.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »

[
I think people who do want to compete, find ways to cut expenses elsewhere, and that includes holding on to their dresses longer. I actually got a new dress made this year though, because I got this tip about an eastern european company which makes professional quality dresses for about 1/3 of what I paid for a dress like that made in US.

Would you mind sharing the company name?  I'd appreciate it as I'm looking around right now for a dress.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 01:35:19 PM »

I used REST Elegance. They're based in Russia.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 03:20:32 PM »

I used REST Elegance. They're based in Russia.

Thanks

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 03:21:01 PM »

as mentioned elsewhere, lets get the names of recommended companies (and further discussions) on a board... I'll set it up later...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 06:58:32 PM »

people are definitely cutting back. We are cutting back a lot this year. Not attending some small USA comps, the economy is very bad, my pay isn't as good as last year, plus we go Blackpool this year (we didn't go last year) so have to cut back from not attending small US comps to afford Blackpool. I check prior year comp results in dancesportinfo more carefully before registering any comps, if a comp requires travel and only a final, forget about it.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: