partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 03:56:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What's Happening to Competition Attendance
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What's Happening to Competition Attendance  (Read 2662 times)
Rugby
Gold

« on: June 23, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »

I have notice over the last year a real drop in the numbers at competitions.  There used to be quarter finals and semi finals and now its getting to the point where there are only 6 or 7 couples (sometimes less) in a category, so only a final, especially in latin.  How many other people have noticed this in their area and what do you think the reason is?  Is it a particular competition or an overall trend in your area? More so in latin than standard or both?

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »

People are getting smarter and spending their money elsewhere.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:43:51 PM »

Anecdotal evidence (a fancy way of saying "what I've heard"  Wink ) is that it's happening mainly to larger comps; smaller comps seem to be holding steady.  That sort of makes sense being that the larger comps are the longest and therefore the most expensive to attend (more money for hotel and meals and so forth).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:04:29 PM »

not the case at the ones I've been to C - the small comps are shrinking just as much.

Perhaps its the SYTYCD overload....

I think its mostly the economy - dancing is a tertiary luxury to most, its just some of us for whom its a biological need....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »

Interesting.  Our Friday night attendance isn't suffering at all -- in fact, it's the highest it's ever been.  Of course, Friday night is cheap compared to a comp.  I'm going to one in a few weeks, and I'm a bit curious to see how it goes.
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

Starz was WAY down this Jan. We managed to crib table-seats, and year before last's was PACKED madhouse-crazy.

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:26:45 PM »

Starz was WAY down this Jan. We managed to crib table-seats, and year before last's was PACKED madhouse-crazy.

I can back that up--in fact, I was going to post about this very thing when I got home, but Ginger beat me to it!  I don't know exact numbers, but from talking to David Hamilton and Mark Walters (the deck captain) both, entries were definitely down.  Last year they were up over 6,000, but this year they were definitely under that.

We'll see how Vol State plays out this year I guess.  When I get back from my family reunion this weekend, I'll start talking to David Medeiros about working the comp, so I should have a pretty good idea of what's going on there too.
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »

Is there any way to find out, without the magic password, how much pro-am a la carte entries to these single syllabus entries are? Not that i'm in any way plotting something really mean-spirited and evil against someone I know, either.

Honest.

See you at VolState... one way... or... another... BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA- ow, I swallowed a fly.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »

Have you tried emailing David Medeiros?
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »

I've talked to some of my fellow competitors and asked why they have not been out competing.  Some have been like us, moved up to a new level and taking time off to get ready.  Many others say that they are tired of the high lesson cost and, for the out of towners like us, also the high travel costs to get to the lessons.  For others it has been the judging issues and the feeling that nothing is going to change so why bother.  No one has complained about the costs of the competitions, which for amateur couples are really cheap, except for a couple of the multi-day ones, so that's not the problem. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:14:39 PM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 04:58:51 AM »

Interesting - I wonder if OADA is taking note (I bet not...)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 07:26:42 AM »

well our way it is the same, numbers are way down in our state and it can be very difficult to elevate...We are going to a comp on the week-end that will have 452 couples...but I wait to see how many will be in our age group....I think it may be the time commitment and finances that are making people think again. We have put a lot of hard work in the last six months but I don't know sustainable that will be.

Perhaps its cyclic and related to the global downturn

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 07:59:11 PM »

Most of the competitors I know are going the day before, dancing and then leaving. The days of staying to watch your friend and the Friday/Saturday night pros are gone!

Entries seem alittle down, but not much.  My friends have just cut down on the number of comps they are doing (me too!).
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 01:40:22 AM »

I just went to Twin Cities Open, according to the organizers it's their biggest one so far.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 01:42:03 AM »

Did you happen to be in the ballroom for Pro Smooth, ttd?  We had a new-ish pro couple competing there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: