partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 05:52:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Rating your pro
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Rating your pro  (Read 5030 times)
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2009, 01:27:33 AM »

Don't get me wrong- there's no place like home, but there's one fellow at DW I get in the foxtrot mixer who's... ooh. Gimme dat FRAME, papi...
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2009, 01:29:40 AM »

*snort*  I think I need to know who this guy is.  And if he's 6'4 and beefy...
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2009, 01:36:08 AM »

He always wears black. Always has a poker-face of concentration, and seldom speaks. I called him Johnny Cash before I found out the name behind the frame.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2009, 01:42:57 AM »

Not the person it would be utterly hilarious if you were talking about him, then.
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 01:57:54 AM »

This one's more built for smooth, I think. I always screw up pivots with him.
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2009, 02:07:24 AM »

Okay- now I'm curious... 6'4 and beefy...
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »

mine whips me ..... Lips sealed Shocked Grin Grin Tongue

Especially when you tell him what a baaaad girl you have being?

I am NEVER bad. but apparently I show my "attitude",lol

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2009, 03:12:36 PM »

I don't really care for item 12 on the list. The lesson doesn't have to be always fun, I can live with it being downright frustrating sometimes, as long as I know that eventually it will make me a better dancer.

As for the rest - well, he knows his stuff, he is a good dancer and teacher, and he is definitely the best one in the area, we get along well, we accommodate each other when we need to as far as schedule goes (important, considering that we live 2 hours away from each other), the lesson price is OK. What else to ask for?
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2009, 06:02:43 PM »

I disagree, ttd.  "Fun" doesn't have to be giddy, for me I have "fun" if I feel as though I learned something, if I feel as though I progressed, if I solidified something my instructor is trying to teach me. 
Perhaps we should rephrase and say something like "satisfaction with lessons".

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 09:56:07 PM »

He always wears black. Always has a poker-face of concentration, and seldom speaks. I called him Johnny Cash before I found out the name behind the frame.

My DP and I always give everyone nicknames until we find out their real names, that is if we ever do.  Sometimes we just give the couple a couple's nickname.  Possibly this may be another thread as in what nick names have you used to descriibe someone and why.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2009, 08:24:41 PM »

I disagree, ttd.  "Fun" doesn't have to be giddy, for me I have "fun" if I feel as though I learned something, if I feel as though I progressed, if I solidified something my instructor is trying to teach me. 
Perhaps we should rephrase and say something like "satisfaction with lessons".
And I still disagree to a point. I did not leave every single one of my lessons feeling that I progressed. Quite a few times I left them realizing how much more I need to work on the concept and was frustrated about it. It's along the lines "sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better". Yet over a period of time I feel the progress, I see difference in my competition videos, I realize that some things are happening without me consciously thinking about them and to me it is more important than having a sense of progress each and every time. Especially now that we are working a lot more on partnership issues, and I feel that my progress with that is slower, partly because I don't have a partner, not even talking about partner of comparable level, to practice with.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2009, 10:20:28 PM »

Well, you are more advanced than I am and probably have been dancing much longer, so I will defer to you.  However, at this stage, "fun" is determined if I feel a progression, no matter how small.  No progression, not a good lesson for me.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »

I changed pros not that long ago ttd - and ever since every lesson has been nothing short of amazing.  I don't just feel a progression I feel virtually reborn.  I wonder if we tend to latch onto pros too much and we loose objectivity as to whether we are really learnng from them any more.  After a while surely it is likely that we will learn much of what they have to teach - its not that we become equal at all (I was not to my old one) but that they have given what they can.

I wonder if it may be healthy to change pros each say 3 years....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »

I think the longer you stay with a pro you see their limitations and their strengths and when one outweighs the other you have to review. We have one coach that focuses on top line and another that is very concerned with the foot work. So between the two, both sets of information can be used for each style we do.

Change can be good, time frame  is  a personal issue and can be dependent on the number of coaches that are available where you are.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2009, 11:27:57 PM »

I realized several years ago that I am not learning linearly. Maybe that is my personal learning style, but I would have periods when I am seemingly not progressing and then I would progress really quick. Once I realized that and accepted that I will have periods when things are not progressing visibly, and don't feel as they felt before because I left familiar ground, it really made me much more content, so as long as I know how it fits with a bigger picture, I'm OK, I can live with temporary frustration, because I know that perseverance will pay off.

I don't really think there is a shelf life on a relationship as you state, unless the teacher is not trying to improve his own dancing/teaching anymore. It actually gets better as a working relationship as time goes by, I'd say. You get to know the other person better and they get to know you, so you work better together.

P.S. I'm not sure if I want to feel the super-elated feeling you're talking about each and every time. It sounds like a honeymoon a little bit and I know those eventually end.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:32:48 PM by ttd » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: