partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 09:43:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116405 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dance - Links (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Dance Forums
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Dance Forums  (Read 17174 times)
drj
Bronze

« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »

My teachers often said that “dancing” is so beyond words and that there are not enough words in the world to describe it. Even if you tried to explain it with words you would always fall short. They said that it is like the center of the universe. You can talk about it, draw theories about it, calculate it and study it, but you will never really know what it is like, till you have been there. We as teachers can get you close and walk you all around “it” but you have to do “it” to really understand what we are talking about. Yet, once you have experienced it, it is so beautiful, wondrous and special and yet so “SIMPLE”.  It just “IS”. It simply “IS”. They would say “IT JUST IS” and when you are doing it, all that comes to mind is “I AM”.  

How do you explain “I AM” to somebody that doesn’t know or understand that experience?

Dancing has to be experienced in person to really be understood.

DSV

And this is why I seldom post about dance on DF. I think it would be difficult for me to do so; I seek out the I AM, and don't give a damn about where the book tells me to put my foot or how many degrees I should sway. They once started a thread about "how long does it take you to memorize a step?" to which I almost posted a smartass comment: "which one did you have trouble memorizing? Forward, back, or to the side?" but decided they would'nt get it, and I was not interested in picking a fight... If, in a DF thread about "how are your lessons going" I were to say, "Today, I experienced timelessness, effortlessness, and the magnificence of being heavy in the air and falling, and then came back to earth and discovered I'd been doing foxtrot," there would be damn few on DF who would understand me. There is a place for everything, true. On DF, I post about other things; life events, shoes, rhinestones... On PDO, I try to post about dance, when I post at all.

Back to lurking.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:13:14 PM by drj » Logged

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »

My teachers often said that “dancing” is so beyond words and that there are not enough words in the world to describe it. Even if you tried to explain it with words you would always fall short. They said that it is like the center of the universe. You can talk about it, draw theories about it, calculate it and study it, but you will never really know what it is like, till you have been there. We as teachers can get you close and walk you all around “it” but you have to do “it” to really understand what we are talking about. Yet, once you have experienced it, it is so beautiful, wondrous and special and yet so “SIMPLE”.  It just “IS”. It simply “IS”. They would say “IT JUST IS” and when you are doing it, all that comes to mind is “I AM”. 

How do you explain “I AM” to somebody that doesn’t know or understand that experience?

Dancing has to be experienced in person to really be understood.

DSV

And this is why I seldom post about dance on DF. I think it would be difficult for me to do so; I seek out the I AM, and don't give a damn about where the book tells me to put my foot or how many degrees I should sway. They once started a thread about "how long does it take you to memorize a step?" to which I almost posted a smartass comment: "which one did you have trouble memorizing? Forward, back, or to the side?" but decided they would'nt get it, and I was not interested in picking a fight... If, in a DF thread about "how are your lessons going" I were to say, "Today, I experienced timelessness, effortlessness, and the magnificence of being heavy in the air and falling, and then came back to earth and discovered I'd been doing foxtrot," there would be damn few on DF who would understand me. There is a place for everything, true. On DF, I post about other things; life events, shoes, rhinestones... On PDO, I try to post about dance, when I post at all.

Back to lurking.

If you only post once a decade its worth waiting for posts such as this one!

"which one did you have trouble memorizing? Forward, back, or to the side?" ROFL!

"Today, I experienced timelessness, effortlessness, and the magnificence of being heavy in the air and falling, and then came back to earth and discovered I'd been doing foxtrot," BANG ON!!

Of course, I'd like it even more if you posted such every 5 minutes ... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »

Yes, please!  Post like this every 5 minutes! 

That was definitely a ROFL moment like Elise pointed out. 

How wonderful it is to hear about your experiences drj.  Please keep posting!  There are some new folks here who could really use, and even identify with, the descriptions you so perfectly give. 
orangepeel
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »

Totally want to dance like that someday...hopefully I'm getting there Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »

Totally want to dance like that someday...hopefully I'm getting there Smiley
the time is now OJP (oops!).  You can do this at ANY level of dancing, its not something for the future, any more than walking 'properly' is.  Go over some very basic steps - rumba walks, or a feather, feather finish in foxtrot say until it feels comfortable.  now do it without thinking about your feet - if you let yourself go it is actually easy.  The key is to not worry about screwing up - - 'errors' are normal its how we deal with them that introduces abnormality...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2012, 12:05:41 AM »

Very well put Miss Elise!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2012, 02:43:14 AM »

Very well put Miss Elise!
Cheesy  Embarrassed

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2012, 02:08:27 PM »

I have to say "WOW" guys. Shocked You have all come a long way. Grin I remember a time where talks like this was strange to all of you. It is wonderful to hear you all talking with such great enlightenment.

I LOVE IT!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »

It felt like just yesterday when you were trying to teach us how to walk DSV!
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »

It felt like just yesterday when you were trying to teach us how to walk DSV!

Compared to most people your journey has not taken long. Cheesy Most people take decades to get where you all are now. Undecided

It sure is wonderful to see how fast you all have woken up to the wonders of dancing. Grin

DSV

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »

We all owe you an enormous debt of thanks DSV.  Even if we wished to (and I think inside us we did) we would not have been able to open our eyes without your sage advice.   Kiss Cheesy

Of course we - well at least I - have a long way to go!!

BTW I've changed coaches again.  The last one really did get the rudimens of BoS but has been out of competition dancing too long and it was starting to grate - besides he was way too short for me.  Still, I am indepted since that really helped get over the loss of DP.

The new one is really two - I wrote a bit about it elsewhere - and even if the formal training is not BoS the outcome is very satisfactory indeed - an emphasis on letting go and just dancing that is surely the real essence of the goal we are all aiming for.  I can honestly say that I have danced more 'all out' and without conscious interference with CoachNew than ever before.  I can see that a little more of this and I will be spoiled for an AM partner ... Shocked   Unless, that is, I can get them similarly trained.... perhaps....

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »

I can see that a little more of this and I will be spoiled for an AM partner ... Shocked   Unless, that is, I can get them similarly trained.... perhaps....
I'm doing my best to keep the crops growing.  Grin  Very few male takers... 'though that should change soon once there are enough ladies to lure them in. 
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »

And this is why I seldom post about dance on DF. I think it would be difficult for me to do so; I seek out the I AM, and don't give a damn about where the book tells me to put my foot or how many degrees I should sway. They once started a thread about "how long does it take you to memorize a step?" to which I almost posted a smartass comment: "which one did you have trouble memorizing? Forward, back, or to the side?" but decided they would'nt get it, and I was not interested in picking a fight.

And fight you would!  This reminds me of a quote from the movie "The Matrix":

Morpheus: "You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it".

Another one that doesn't directly relate to this, but why we can only sit back and wait for them to want it:
Morpheus: "I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it".

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »

We all owe you an enormous debt of thanks DSV.
Chiming in with what Elise said!   Cool
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »

You have all made it worth while. It is a challenge to free minds from the Matrix. It is however well worth every bit of the struggle. The gifts of joy that is seen in the people once the mind is free is worth more than my words can describe. The more people that can stand up and say "I AM" the more joy this world will experience. 

DSV

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: