partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 11:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dance - Links (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Dance Forums
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Dance Forums  (Read 18313 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2011, 03:33:53 PM »

Ooh, you became a lot more interesting exciting!

Is it possible that you are not aware of this history?
Actually as funny as it is, I am not aware of history, because when you were banned, I was on a 10-day trip without internet access. And when I got back to my home base, the commotion on df has already died down (if there was any). All I saw was a post from DF powers-that-be refusing to discuss your departure.

Then you know almost as much as I do!  It started (though I don't believe this really) when I asked to change a post - DF mods were already trying to ensure that I did not start any new topics so they joined a new one to a distantly related one - that made my post absurd in context and I asked to change it.  That caused a hullabaloo but I did not get banned until I wrote to one of the mods and asked what was going on that I felt set upon. 

I believe they were looking for an excuse - one major factor was the 'quantal leap' topic I started that became one of the most successful ever.  The rest you can try to piece together.  Why any of this should lead to 'banning for life' I have absolutely no idea but its interesting how people that demand justice, fair treatment and open goverment in their daily lives can suddenly become despotic in their private domains.  Least thats how I see it.  And thats why PDO is like it is - open to see its guts and for critisisms and suggestions.  We even have topics for controversial subjects - obviously I can not let anything stand (there are legal and ethical liabilities) but the rule here is openness and tollerance.   

So now I can not figure out why we never grew.  Early on it became evident that to keep PDO the way it is we needed a simple governence - which sadly is basically me with a few trusted advisors and friends.  This has avoided infighting but I am sure has also had negative aspects with me being too evident.  But I can't think of another way...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2011, 03:07:49 AM »

Well, I think PDO being so small compared to DF is a good indicator of how many open minded folks versus drones there are in ballroom dancing.  In my whole city, I'm the only one I'm aware of that's on here.  I think I'm in the fourth largest city in the world, so that kind of says something.  I know a few others that joined and found absolutely nothing of use for them here from my city.  They are, coincidentally, also the folks that don't believe in any of the methods we speak of and I know this for a fact.  The words "quantal shift" might as well be four letter words cussing them out of here.  Coincidentally, they're also the folks I regularly beat at competitions: go figure... except for one couple I came within 1 point of beating on two occasions (not bad considering my partner still believes in a polar opposite approach to what I believe in... and yes, she was one of the folks that lasted about one day on this board). 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:13:01 AM by Some guy » Logged
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2011, 03:10:29 AM »

Actually, the quantal shift topic itself should have given you an indication of how much participation PDO would have Elise.  If I remember right, it was one of the most successful topics, but the only folks that got any value out of it could be counted on one hand.  If I remember right, the main participants were Elise, myself, Samina, someone named "Dancepro", and a few others I could count on one hand.  Compare that to DF's total membership.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:13:41 AM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2011, 05:06:15 AM »

Well, I think PDO being so small compared to DF is a good indicator of how many open minded folks versus drones there are in ballroom dancing.  In my whole city, I'm the only one I'm aware of that's on here.  I think I'm in the fourth largest city in the world, so that kind of says something.  I know a few others that joined and found absolutely nothing of use for them here from my city.  They are, coincidentally, also the folks that don't believe in any of the methods we speak of and I know this for a fact.  The words "quantal shift" might as well be four letter words cussing them out of here.  Coincidentally, they're also the folks I regularly beat at competitions: go figure... except for one couple I came within 1 point of beating on two occasions (not bad considering my partner still believes in a polar opposite approach to what I believe in... and yes, she was one of the folks that lasted about one day on this board). 

So you're saying we are an intellectiual, ethical, open-minded, generous, tollerant, pioneer elite?  Hmmm... I think I can live with that...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2011, 05:42:40 AM »

Actually, the quantal shift topic itself should have given you an indication of how much participation PDO would have Elise.  If I remember right, it was one of the most successful topics, but the only folks that got any value out of it could be counted on one hand.  If I remember right, the main participants were Elise, myself, Samina, someone named "Dancepro", and a few others I could count on one hand.  Compare that to DF's total membership.

Thats true  - but the ' if you build it they would come' principle should still hold if you have a better idea.  The fact that they did not 'come' means either that you don't have a better idea or that your idea is so far ahead that the 'general dance community' can't yet grasp it. 

Also, if we have a nicer more tollerant and open community should't that be a draw by itself?  Or maybe its our format on here.  I  thinkn we need to upgrad to the new one (there is a final version) but I need some help to achieve that....

Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »

Actually, the quantal shift topic itself should have given you an indication of how much participation PDO would have Elise.  If I remember right, it was one of the most successful topics, but the only folks that got any value out of it could be counted on one hand.  If I remember right, the main participants were Elise, myself, Samina, someone named "Dancepro", and a few others I could count on one hand.  Compare that to DF's total membership.

Thats true  - but the ' if you build it they would come' principle should still hold if you have a better idea.  The fact that they did not 'come' means either that you don't have a better idea or that your idea is so far ahead that the 'general dance community' can't yet grasp it. 

Also, if we have a nicer more tollerant and open community should't that be a draw by itself?  Or maybe its our format on here.  I  thinkn we need to upgrad to the new one (there is a final version) but I need some help to achieve that....

I don't think they did not 'come' because DF is better. From my experience, people tend to stick with what's familiar and comfortable. A lot of people on DF probably don't feel a need to go anywhere else even though they might find something better here.

To thy self dance true --elisedance
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2011, 07:47:48 AM »

There are ways on the net to get better hits but unfortunately I don't know how to use them I have a dance friend that does it for a living so i don't expect she would do it for free.

thre are postings nearly every day I know of one in Australia I don't even go there any more that nothing changes for weeks! or even months

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »

I don't think they did not 'come' because DF is better. From my experience, people tend to stick with what's familiar and comfortable. A lot of people on DF probably don't feel a need to go anywhere else even though they might find something better here.

I think you are right - that explains why people didn't move over here (though many did register) but it does not explain why we have been rather poor at recruiting new souls.  I (and Q) have tried to advertise on FB - but one has to be careful since too much puts people off and can be counter productive. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2011, 04:40:01 AM »

just keep moving forward ....and do what we are doing....it is quality not quantity

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2011, 04:42:13 AM »

just keep moving forward ....and do what we are doing....it is quality not quantity

I like that attitude... Well, I'll post as long as you do Cheesy

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »

I am always around! Grin just  more prolific  sometimes than others

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »

Must admit to wavering a bit myself of late - music has become on par with dancing...

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »

I know that I had disappeared for a very long while.

Well, from a business point of view - the two forums just targets different market - or different groups of people. Beside, I think less people means less chance of argument all over the place, right? Wink

One of the thing I really like about DF is simply as it is - Large, and lots of arguments. As my partner put it, it is like NYC. There are lots of different people in the group - from professionals to amateurs, from seasonal competitors to beginners, so on so for. And that IS super fascinating for me. On different topics (mostly dance related but not technical) - I could see different perspectives (yes, I am a (self-appointed, unfortunately Wink ) historian myself). And the "no, you are wrong, and I am right part," I didn't feel that bad. It might have something to do with the fact that my approach to the forum (or history in general) - watch, but not act, I never felt personal; furthermore, I think that crystalized the different points.

On the other hand, I found this forum to be - how am I going to put it - somehow like Ivory Tower. Without the negative connotation of the word. It is small and resourceful (in another way) and super knowledgable. On the other hand - it might have something to do with the platform: words - I sometimes find the knowledge on this site hard to use. I either know it or that is interesting, but I am not exactly certain on how to use it (the few times that I thought me getting it, they turned out to be disasters).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »

Thanks for that input Millitz its very useful.  If you can think of any ways to improve PDO do let us know.  We'd like to be nice AND useful Smiley

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »

Interesting comments. we have the appearance of a gentlemen's club...but.... Shocked. We are open to all sorts of ideas, but like minded people tend to fall into the same place.

Just like the friends you choose. Cool

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: