partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:42:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Club dances (Moderators: captain jep, QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Night Club 2 Step
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Night Club 2 Step  (Read 1856 times)
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« on: June 21, 2009, 03:01:40 AM »

That is what it is called right? I am seeing this coming into play at socials in the local venues. But it reminds me more of Saturday night fever type dancing.

What is it? And how come it seems to be gaining popularity?

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:13:12 PM »

The basic is easy, but there's actually quite an extensive repertoire, if you can find an instructor who knows it.  I went to a dance with chachacat once, and they had an advanced NC2S class with some really fun patterns, but frankly some of it was over my head.  There's a lot more advanced material than most people realize. 

What makes NC2S useful is that it addresses a tempo "hole" that none of the other Latin or swing dances really cover.  If you think about the song "Lady in Red" (which seems to be the canonical NC2S song), the tempo is a little too fast for American rumba, and it doesn't work for double-time or single-time swing because there is no backbeat.  There's a lot of "slow dance" pop songs in this tempo range.  Plus, you can do NC2S in a fairly small amount of space, so it works on tiny club dance floors.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »

because it is easy to learn it.

step is: side - rock step - side - rock step (this rock step is more like 5th position break) - rhythm SQQ

Sounds like slow rhythm foxtrot.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »

Like Malakawa said, it is relatively easy to learn and lots of social dancers seem to like it.  Its a good one to learn for weddings.  But, done well, it is really a pretty dance.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 03:11:17 PM »

I like it, but it's difficult for some of the locals to get the hang of it because we use "slow dance" or "modern" music instead of the country or old stuff they're used to. Throws them for a complete loop unless we give them a primer on where to find and count the music first.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:08:24 AM »

I'm worth cornutt.  It's popular because it fiills in a rhythm hole.  The slow,romantic songs that don't fit for rumba or bolero (Bolero in a nightclub?   As if!  Grin ) often fit NC2S. Besides, you can learn the basic in a group lesson or two and be good to go.  Besides, it's worlds better than the old clutch and sway, which is much many non-dancers would normally do to NC2S songs.  And it's romantic without being suggestive or nasty, the way clutch and sway can be.  Perfect for exactly what it says -- dancing at a nightclub.  Although I have to say I've seen a fair bit of it at weddings, too Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: