partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:53:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Salsa (Moderators: captain jep, QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Salsa .... Who Likes Salsa? Hot, Medium or Spicy?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Salsa .... Who Likes Salsa? Hot, Medium or Spicy?  (Read 3328 times)
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« on: June 21, 2009, 02:56:33 AM »

Ok .... while I am a standard dancer ... I got hooked into the studio via salsa lessons.

I love salsa it is so much fun, a stress reliever, and a great source of exercise to burn ALOT of calories and can be quite demanding and challenging to learn to. (yes I know this will be hard for you believe but there are other moves outside of the basic step, LOL)

I learned the basics at my studio and then ventured into the clubs where salsa is danced kinda raw  ... AUTHENTIC ... not the ballroom version. MAN I HAD A RUDE AWAKING!!!!!!! It was great ... but a real eye opener to experience the edgy, sensual dance.

I also was pleasantly surprised in the MD/DC area there are a large amount of clubs that cater to just salsa dancing. AND THEN I also found out about the comps they have to.

Anyone else out here an experienced salsa dancer?

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »

Grin

just have to know it. in one way i like better rueda, but i am not such a fan of salsa.

i am tired of the music.  Cool Tongue

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »

I'd rather do rueda....but apart from my former studio, don't know where to do it around here.
Salsa can be a lot of fun, accoridng to my salsa dancing friends, but I don't dance it enough to really get into it!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »

I'm a salsero.  Can't really understand the attraction to rueda, though.  If you like square and sequence dancing you'd like rueda, my guess.

I started with rueda but this is what I've learned about salsa.  From someone who dances salsa 4 nights a week and ballroom 3 nights a week - you get the idea, another dance nut!

The big difference between ballroom and salsa if that most salsero's, the majority of latino's anyway, learn to dance to the music first.  They don't learn the dance first, as we do in ballroom.  They don't take the steps and apply it to the music.  They take the music and dance to iit.  Unlike the technical dancing of most ballroomers, it is emotional dancing.  A term my ballroom instructor uses with derision.

In salsa, at the higher levels, there is an emphasis on styling.  Body isolations, shines, freestyling for a couple of bars; setting your partner up to show her stuff, fast footwork, argie tango gancho's, presses, ronde's and so forth.

In rueda there is no such freedom, we basically follow the caller.  I find it pedantic by comparison with club salsa. I never learned salsa in a ballroom, I learned it in the clubs, where there is less emphasis on technique and more on interpreting and feeling the music. 

Don't get me wrong, ballroom is my passion, but I do really enjoy the freedom of salsa and having seen it in the clubs have to say there is a lot of very advanced dancing going on, stuff you rarely see except at the highest levels of ballroom.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 08:27:15 PM »

Ah, there you are Smiley  I do very little salsa so can't add much - did a few years ago but now I'm rather rusty. 

Its surprisingly quiet here tonight, as it often is on a sunday.  As said, its a good idea to drop a post in the newcomer's area so people can know you are here.
ee

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:07:14 AM »

I hesitate to say "we know some rueda", because I fear that what we've learned is different from typical rueda. A student "before our time" brought a DVD into the studio, the coaches broke what they saw down, sweetheartized the pronunciation of the Spanish terms (Enchufle? I know that Abanico, Adios, Dame, etc. are correct though), so we know 'a few' figures in it, but not enough to be confident in taking it somewhere else.

When it's us and the brats at DW, we do kind of a Rueda Para 4, where we just partner-swap two couples, but that's about it. Tons of fun to do in our own little world though.

Hate the liftsy uppy sit on the shouldersy circley one though. That was the first time Leatherbritches and I got to second-base... Jack just called it, and I was picking Marc Ecko rhinestones out of my butt-cheeks for a week, and SparkleBoy probably had to have reconstructive surgery on his shoulder.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 06:51:41 AM »

Shows how miuch I know - I thought this was an eating/cooking topic Embarrassed

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »

Hot Hot Hot!! although to eat I prefer medium  Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 08:25:32 AM »

but to dance, the hotter the better Smiley

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 04:23:55 AM »

FTR, ...LOVE salsa, cumbia, bachata.... All of it.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 02:02:25 PM »

Heads up: this weekend is the

www.canadasalsacongress.com

in Toronto at the Sheraton center. Best salsa dancers from all over the world, biggest salsa event in Canada. dancing till 4am tonight and tomorrow.  Should be fun - see you there?

~Vicki Baum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 02:30:25 PM »

I should start working on salsa.  I've mostly avoided it in the past, because when I was less experienced, I found that doing salsa screwed up my mambo.  But I did a few salsa heats in our comp last weekend; it was intended to be just a goof, but it went surprisingly well.  I wouldn't mind picking up some of that flava.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 01:04:01 AM »

never really done much salsa....I think I have come to it too late. Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 03:04:59 AM »

Heads up: this weekend is the

www.canadasalsacongress.com

in Toronto at the Sheraton center. Best salsa dancers from all over the world, biggest salsa event in Canada. dancing till 4am tonight and tomorrow.  Should be fun - see you there?

Have a great time - are you competing?  Give us a report OK?

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 12:55:41 PM »

I went last night after the Olympic stars supervised practice, which was quite good. The place was hopping with some fanatstic dancers.  I recognized a few salsa personalities from around the world, including super mario.

BTW, can you tell me more about the westmount collegiate danc?  You mentioned it's on Sat night and we're looking for something to do tonight. The Gardener will be closed so it will problematic to get to the 60 up club.  I see the Leander boat house is having a dance but that's a bit far. I'm hearing about a new venue in Toronto called GJ up on Finch, might check that out.

I'd like to try Westmount if you say it's good...what time, what's the format and so forth?

Many thanks

~Vicki Baum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: