partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  "dancing is walking"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: "dancing is walking"  (Read 3954 times)
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 03:56:51 AM »

and GREATLY appreciated, you two... And its our intent to do our little bit by providing a welcoming home for the guidance...

Thank you. I do feel appreciated, which is all that we can ask for. Some us get rich/famous, and, though that is a great thing.....

...I can not talk for TD, but ...The passion for sharing takes over

The joy of sharing, and the joy of seeing someone grow to enhance and enjoy their life is great as well.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 05:59:48 AM »

Its the same in my field - a great achievement gives pleasure for maybe a year or so.  However, a great student gives pleasure for the rest of your lifetime...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »

- a great achievement gives pleasure for maybe a year or so.  However, a great student gives pleasure for the rest of your lifetime...

I totally agree with that. I would actually go as far and say that a great achievement in the dancing world only last until the next competition.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 05:03:59 AM »

I totally agree with that. I would actually go as far and say that a great achievement in the dancing world only last until the next competition.

Which is sort of sobering isn't it!  Or maybe it means that a great achievement in the dance world is to win a series of competitions...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 01:54:46 AM »

Which is sort of sobering isn't it!  Or maybe it means that a great achievement in the dance world is to win a series of competitions...

Talking from experience..... after a few years most people don't really remember what result the different couples had. They might remember the round but for the most part the exact result is forgotten.  Cool

I have also found that once you are in "the club" then you are in "the club" and the exact result becomes irrelevant. You made it and that is the main point. You do have to have made the semifinal and/or final in all the Grand Slam competitions in the professional ranks to become a member. “The club” in not an official club but there is clearly an understanding, knowing and connection between these few individuals that most people don’t understand and know about. There are a few people that know and understand but they are normally close family members of somebody that does belong in “the club”.

Sorry, if I confused some of you.  Tongue

The main point is, you are going to remember your result better, then anybody else so don’t get too hung up on the result. Your life doesn’t start or end with the result of a dance competition. Let’s just put things into a prospective and use the Law of Reality. Having a bad result is not that bad compared to what bad could really happen to you. So get over it and get on with it.  Wink  Grin

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 06:26:26 AM »

What you say about 'club membership' applies all the way through the danceworld DSV, though in smaller 'worlds'.  If you win at bronze at a major local competition you become 'in the club' of the dancers there - you become known and respected within your peer group.  The 'in' group you are referring to is not unique but just the most elite one as it reflects dancers accross the whole planet.

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 08:10:19 AM »

I found another interesting view of "walking" in dance. Found it at DF so hope it's OK to post link here. Look at Quesita's post.

http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=33786&page=3

So goal described is to make dancing look as effortless as walking. But if you are in learning stage, it will probably take some time and practice to get to this point.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2009, 09:10:07 AM »

We love links to anywhere that there is good info - and DF has some of the best.  I often drop in myself (er, 'incognito' of course Wink).

Funny isn't it that it should be so hard to get back to square one?  makes you wonder why we learn dance the way we do.  But I'm waiting for DSV and TD to write a book to revolutionize all that (hey, how about it you guys??)  I started a topic on that here but I don't think anyone noticed Undecided

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 08:42:41 AM »

Dancing is walking,or dance should be as easy as walking?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 03:34:24 AM »

Well I believe that Fred Astaire once said that Dancing was dancing walking and in a way he is right but in the day he made the remark, I think it has become more complicated now.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »

The very point of the 'dancing is walking' is that dancing has been made TOO complicated.  We learn to contort ourselves first to take steps and then we spend thousands of dollars to make those contortions look like natural movements - i.e. walking. 

Why not learn to walk together first???

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »

I remember vividly my first dance lesson -- foxtrot.  It started with walking -- backward, then forward, then with counted quicks and slows.

Too bad it got complicated pretty soon after ...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:32:45 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »

I remember vividly my first dance lesson -- foxtrot.  It started with walking -- backward, then forward, then with counted quicks and slows.

Too bad it got complicated pretty soon after ...
Great way to introduce - shame it got complicated; it really isn't..  Least it doesn't seem so any more Roll Eyes

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 01:45:54 AM »

I think the trick with Foxtrot is its speed, which it is slower than a waltz and requires more control. I love foxtrot and between the waltz and foxtrot they are our strongest dances followed by tango then quick/trickstep Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: