partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 12:08:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  "dancing is walking"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: "dancing is walking"  (Read 3996 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 03:30:11 AM »

Thanks Elise!  I don't think I'm ready to become a coach yet.  Too many mysteries left unsolved.  Once I feel like I've unraveled most of them, I might be comfortable sharing them on a regular basis.  Smiley

The visiting coach's name was Benoit Papineau.

TangoDancer, you and Benoit must've had similar teachers.  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 03:44:01 AM »

thanks for that - I've never met him but will certainly look out... but from what I can gather on google he lives in the US
Danced with Michelle Officer in the early 90s...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 04:17:29 AM »

This phrase seems to be used so often for Standard--but it applies to Latin as well.  After all, what is rumba except walking?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 04:21:02 AM »

well, try it down the street and see if anyone notices Tongue

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 04:32:18 AM »

I'll do that if you'll VW down the street.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 04:41:36 AM »

well, thats the point of the topic - is dancing really walking? 

BTW I would happily VW down the street if I could find a lead...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »

…..dancing is walking, not rocket science. 

Very nice post SG.

My teachers used to say this all the time. I saw this post earlier today and thought I would think about all the times I was told to just “walk”. I actually sat down with my brother to try and remember who, how many and when our teachers said this. We came up with 11 of the world class teachers that we had that would say that exact same thing, that dancing is not rocket science and it should be just like walking. All of these teachers were world finalists and between them hold (as far as we could calculate) 34 world championship titles. I think that should qualify the statement and speak for it self.

That visiting coach played all five Standard dances on the stereo and had me walk to the music.  Nothing fancy, just walk in "athletic position" (another notion that my regular coach at the time banished).  Then he wanted me to "interpret" the music as I walked (which I have now come to learn as the "swing-set" feeling that DSV mentioned in another thread).  By "interpret", he wanted me to get "swept up" by the music.  This was key because this determines how much drive you'll subconsciously inject into your steps, how much and when you'll rise and fall, etc. 

The Tango was the most interesting: there was nothing I could do than to haul my "asset" across the dance floor - the musical interpration did not allow any sway or rise and fall.  Foxtrot was interesting because he wanted me to walk 3 steps (Slow Quick Quick) to the 4-count music.  Viennese Waltz felt the worst at the time because my technical "baggage" I was carrying around never allowed me to truly let my body get swept up in the music.  Now when I hear it at a competition, I let the music do all the work!  I just get swept up in it. 

Sounds like you were getting some great information, just a shame you were not ready to hear it at the time.

Unfortunately my regular coach at the time thought that the visiting coach was crazy and stopped bringing him to our studio.  Today I realize what the coach was trying to accomplish.  He used to be a Canadian champion by the way. 

Let me just say this. If I was to only have lessons with the normal people in England then I sure would not have worked with any of the teachers that I worked with. They were/are all eccentric, crazy, abnormal, nuts, weird and strange. I would not have danced with my partner and I would never have made it very far in the major competitions. In my time in the US, I have been invited to many studios. Many of the studios did claim me to be crazy. The funny thing is, this “crazy women” made it to a fairly high ranking and the owners of the studios, which called me crazy couldn’t make it into the top 24 in the US. So who is the crazy one. They wanted to learn great dancing but thought what world class teachers said was crazy. There must be something about it, when all world class teachers are saying the same thing. So if it means that only crazy people can make it to the top then I must be crazy. I am sure glad that I am crazy because that was a cheap price for getting a good result.

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »

Thanks Elise!  I don't think I'm ready to become a coach yet.  Too many mysteries left unsolved.  Once I feel like I've unraveled most of them, I might be comfortable sharing them on a regular basis.  Smiley

You might be more ready then you think you are. I tell you this little piece of advice. The more you know, you know, you don't know. If you wait until, you have unraveled most of the mysteries; you might be well into your 90’s. I should still not be teaching, if I had to wait until I had unraveled some of the many mysteries.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »

DSV - I think people forget that though dance is clearly a physical activity and there are clearly techniques that can be learned to dance with a partner, it is also an art and you can only get to the first rung with fitness and technique - the rest is art.

Art is an intuitive emotional you name it other than rational ability.  Thus to learn an art you can not use the same methods necessary to become fit or learn technique - you have to learn how to open up your inner expression.  Of course this is different for every person so the methods to achieve this must be unique for each person.  Its why there are only a handful of truly great mentors (it is not strictly teaching any more when the role is to reveal what is in the student) in any art form - and often very few students who realize that they have something unique to give them.

It comes down to your favorite quote: 'when the student is ready the teacher will come'.  It really applies to the teaching of art (in the big sense) and for each student there has to be a matched mentor.

Thus, if you will bear with me, you can see why the studios thought you crazy.  They are in the business of teaching and being paid for it - how to learn technique.  You are in the business of mentoring - and they were NOT in any shape or form 'ready' a la quote above.

BTW.... we are.  Its one of the truly special things about PDO, with your and a few others help (TD, SG) we are an island of dance self discovery in a sea of dance instruction.....

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »

DSV - I think people forget that though dance is clearly a physical activity and there are clearly techniques that can be learned to dance with a partner, it is also an art and you can only get to the first rung with fitness and technique - the rest is art.

Art is an intuitive emotional you name it other than rational ability.  Thus to learn an art you can not use the same methods necessary to become fit or learn technique - you have to learn how to open up your inner expression.  Of course this is different for every person so the methods to achieve this must be unique for each person.  Its why there are only a handful of truly great mentors (it is not strictly teaching any more when the role is to reveal what is in the student) in any art form - and often very few students who realize that they have something unique to give them.

It comes down to your favorite quote: 'when the student is ready the teacher will come'.  It really applies to the teaching of art (in the big sense) and for each student there has to be a matched mentor.

I totally agree. Dancing is both a physical and artistic expression. I actually see dancing as a mental image, done physical to sound. You are also right that I am a strong believer that when the student is ready the teacher appears. I am also a strong believer that not all teachers are good for all students. I am several times in my career told students to find a different teacher as I was not able to help them as they were not listening and hearing me. There are times where students have to move on for them to grow.

Thus, if you will bear with me, you can see why the studios thought you crazy.  They are in the business of teaching and being paid for it - how to learn technique.  You are in the business of mentoring - and they were NOT in any shape or form 'ready' a la quote above.

BTW.... we are.  Its one of the truly special things about PDO, with your and a few others help (TD, SG) we are an island of dance self discovery in a sea of dance instruction.....

Don't get me wrong I have no problem people calling me crazy. I actually like being called that as it make me different then the average.  I just find it funny that they call me crazy and from my point of view they are crazy. They spend so much time, effort and money on something that they will never get as long as they fight what is really done. They are in a way doing what SG said in another post was insane namely doing the same over and over again and expecting a different result.

I am happy to help wherever I can. I am however not going to be the best guide for everybody, so please do look to wherever you find the best guidance for youself.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 04:14:10 AM »

Thanks Elise!  I don't think I'm ready to become a coach yet.  Too many mysteries left unsolved.  Once I feel like I've unraveled most of them, I might be comfortable sharing them on a regular basis.  Smiley  The visiting coach's name was Benoit Papineau. TangoDancer, you and Benoit must've had similar teachers.  Smiley

Perhaps, we did. There are many of us out her who have been blessed w/ the Body School and Spatial School training...DSV and I are but 2. As she posted, we are often considered crazy by those who have not come to understand some things (oh, how many times I have said to a room of blank stares, "Just walk".) But we also know that, though we are where we are, that which we have not learned could revolutionize a whole new world. It is this that the hostile ones haven't learned. I am extremely blessed and thankful for my teachers, and for having the wisdom to "get it".

My gratitude...to pass it on when I may.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:16:19 AM by TangoDancer » Logged

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 08:43:28 AM »

But we also know that, though we are where we are, that which we have not learned could revolutionize a whole new world. It is this that the hostile ones haven't learned. I am extremely blessed and thankful for my teachers, and for having the wisdom to "get it".

My gratitude...to pass it on when I may.

Very well put TD. I totally agree..... Grin

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »

and GREATLY appreciated, you two... And its our intent to do our little bit by providing a welcoming home for the guidance...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 09:10:08 AM »

I do feel a friendly environment here, don't get me wrong. Grin

I do however think I would still be talking, even if the people here were to/or are considering me crazy. I can not talk for TD, but I think most of us "crazy" teachers get to a point where what others think really doesn't matter. The passion for sharing takes over and talks louder then the whisper of us being crazy.   Grin

DSV

Edward Teller
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 09:37:45 AM »

good advice is always appreciated...information comes in many forms and different styles, each person learns differently, the advice will hit the mark for someone, it is valued.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: