partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:27:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Hair for competitions
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Hair for competitions  (Read 14090 times)
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« on: April 13, 2009, 12:33:40 AM »

Ok so I have medium to longish curly hair. I like it, it looks good down. I look HIDEOUS with it up at all, because my face is just so ... round.

Do I HAVE to wear it slicked back? In a low bun?

Suggestions ideas?

OH ....and for standard what would look good in it?

And where can I find decent pictures from blackpool of hairstyles?

I really want to get to the point of competing top level or well to look like I am  Wink But I want to LOOK good doing it too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:36:39 AM by emeralddancer » Logged

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:44:11 AM »

Ok so I have medium to longish curly hair. I like it, it looks good down. I look HIDEOUS with it up at all, because my face is just so ... round.

Do I HAVE to wear it slicked back? In a low bun?

Suggestions ideas?

I really want to get to the point of competing top level or well to look like I am  Wink But I want to LOOK good doing it too.

I would suggest a couple of things to do.

Play around with different styles yourself. Look at dance pictures and look for dancers that have the same shape face as yours. Try to copy what they do with their hair and see what you like on yourself.

The other thing that might be an idea for you to do is, next time there is a competition that you are going to but not dancing, have one of the hair people do your hair for you. They might give you some ideas of what to do with your hair that fits the shape of your face. Get some different suggestions and then try it for yourself.

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 05:19:53 AM »

Its a great question - but the hair does not have to be in a bun, the most important thing is that its off your face and that it does not flop around.  I always have bangs but what I do is immobilize them with hair spray so that there is no movement even with the sharpest tango flick.

Its a great point though as updos certainly favor some women ...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »

I'm looking for somewhere that sells hairpieces.  You know, the ones that are already styled and or have jewelry in them.  If anyone knows of a site I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »

I'm looking for somewhere that sells hairpieces.  You know, the ones that are already styled and or have jewelry in them.  If anyone knows of a site I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

Sorry, I have always done that kind of shopping in Blackpool. The people that I use always have a booth there. I will ask them for their web-site once I get there. That will not be until end of May though, hope you can wait.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »

Thanks, that would be great.  My firend has gotten some at Blackpool too and she loves them.  I should start a franchise here.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »

Thanks, that would be great.  My firend has gotten some at Blackpool too and she loves them.  I should start a franchise here.

If you are really interested in that PM me. I am sure they would love to spread their wings. I have know them for 20+ years so shouldn't be a problem to at least talk. Wink

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 04:33:46 PM »

Dora,

Is there a way to find out who the venders are at Blackpool? Maybe we can start a vender thread or something with links to their sites, etc?.

If you are really interested in that PM me. I am sure they would love to spread their wings. I have know them for 20+ years so shouldn't be a problem to at least talk. Wink

Dora-Satya Veda

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 05:17:29 PM »

Dora,

Is there a way to find out who the venders are at Blackpool? Maybe we can start a vender thread or something with links to their sites, etc?.

Dora-Satya Veda

There are some that has been there for decades. I could probably find some of them with making some contacts to my friends over there. I can bring all the information back once I am there. Let me know what you want to do.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 10:16:16 PM »

My face quite round and wide, I realized one thing you can't do to yourself if you have a wide face is to divide up your hair in the middle, this way makes your face look even wider. French twist gives an illusion of long neck. I always tell my hair stylist not to divide up my hair front,, but to pull all of them back and pick up a little.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »

Dora,

Dora-Satya Veda

There are some that has been there for decades. I could probably find some of them with making some contacts to my friends over there. I can bring all the information back once I am there. Let me know what you want to do.

Dora-Satya Veda

Definitely. I'll email you

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »

My face quite round and wide, I realized one thing you can't do to yourself if you have a wide face is to divide up your hair in the middle, this way makes your face look even wider. French twist gives an illusion of long neck. I always tell my hair stylist not to divide up my hair front,, but to pull all of them back and pick up a little.

Well it must work. Because seeing you dance, I did not get the impression that your face was wide at all. You looked so graceful and pretty!!!!!!!

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »

I watched the 2008 superstars of dance tape the other day and all the girls had the same hairstyle and I did not think it suited them all. High on top middle and tight on the sides. Some I thought were too blonde for the colour of their skin.

Most people know what works well for themselves. It is nice to experiment but not for a major comp. IMO

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 06:59:34 AM »

For the past couple of comps I've had a little bun, which didn't really stay in place very well. It suited me, but after a couple of hours it moved. This comp I'm going for just a high ponytail with a flashy hairband. If I have hair slicked back from my face it looks horrible (because my fringe is usually at the sides of my face, so I have a hair tan!) so I tend to just coat them in hairspray and put them back with just enough over my face to cover my tan.
If it flicks DP in the face (which I'm hoping it wont: he's almost a foot taller than me) then I can somehow secure it more, but I don't think it will.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »

For the past couple of comps I've had a little bun, which didn't really stay in place very well. It suited me, but after a couple of hours it moved. This comp I'm going for just a high ponytail with a flashy hairband. If I have hair slicked back from my face it looks horrible (because my fringe is usually at the sides of my face, so I have a hair tan!) so I tend to just coat them in hairspray and put them back with just enough over my face to cover my tan.
If it flicks DP in the face (which I'm hoping it wont: he's almost a foot taller than me) then I can somehow secure it more, but I don't think it will.

If you look at some of the comp pics with the ponytails girls are wearing, some secure them and they do not move, but I do not see a visible way they secured it. It was ingenious!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: