partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:31:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Merry, Mad and and Maudlin Musings
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: Merry, Mad and and Maudlin Musings  (Read 5115 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2013, 04:03:22 AM »

Random:  It is possible to make a commercial so annoying that it backfires.  Just sayin.

Dona nobis pacem.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2013, 04:34:26 AM »

I should add.  For example, US companies are required to provide maternity leave for new parents (birth or adoptive, man or woman) But they are not required to pay them for the time off.   Companies are NOT required to provide facilities for nursing mothers to pump, nor are they required to provide time for moms to pump. So it's the luck of the draw, for nursing moms.

The place where I worked when DS was a baby had a very nice nursing mothers' lounge, with comfy reclining chairs, soft music, dimmer switches on the lights, a water fountain, and lots of electrical outlets.  Perfect ... except it was a ten minute walk from my desk, when I generally took fifteen minute breaks.  But at least the intentions were good.  *shrug*

another bit of closet discrimination; changing shelves for babies are often provided in public buildings but most often in the ladies toilet, but not in the disbled. So disabled people can't be parents? Nor fathers will need to change their children's nappies? The disabled loo is the obvious place; plenty of room and if you have one or more other children you have them under observation. my opinion.

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2013, 04:43:06 AM »

Agreed.

Some of the more progressive businesses in the US now offer "Family" restrooms -- usually a fairly large room that's unisex, handicapped accessible, with a changing table  and enough space to move around.  But this is not required and is not offered universally.  In most places in the US, a man who wants to take his little girl to the restroom, for example, is purely out of luck. *sigh*
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:53:27 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »

In Sweden you get over a year paid!  They want you to have a healthy baby...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2013, 08:47:54 AM »

In the US, you can take off up to a year as well, but none of it is guaranteed to be paid. The law only requires that your employer not fire you for taking off because of family issues.  And, IIRC, small businesses (under either 25 or 50 employees.   Can't remember which)  are exempted from that requirement.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2013, 06:40:35 AM »

And I forgot to mention that the majority of businesses in the US are small businesses.    Fortunately, many of them opt to offer family leave benefits voluntarily, but they are not required to do so. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2013, 01:37:52 AM »

There is nothing like that peaceful time at 1.30-3 am Tongue

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: