partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Court Shoes
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Court Shoes  (Read 1771 times)
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« on: April 13, 2009, 12:31:05 AM »

Currently I have the Supadance 1008. I really really dislike them.

Any other suggestions of court shoes outside of Supadance?

Also what is the difference REALLY between court shoes for International Style and American Style?

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:23:48 AM »

shoes are their own nightmare - and how many of us don't have several pairs of brand new shoes that don't fit hiding in the closet?  Thats where the big comps are terrific - and OSB is the best of all (that I've seen).  the vendors are there so you can try on the different styles.  The best one?  Well it depends of course on your foot - in particular where your arch is and your width.  I have very wide ones and was wearing Internationals but now have actually switched to superdance. women with narrow feet often swear by Ray Rose - but there is a reason why there are so many kinds!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 12:13:52 PM »

I wish I could offer a suggestion, but what I am wearing was deemed "good enough" for me right now, so I don't even know what would be good.

However, I do know that in Standard, my pro preferred me to wear a traditional court shoe with no straps.  I do have a pair of Smooth shoes with straps, but they are not as flexible as the more plain shoe.

Next comp, I would do as Elise suggested and try on a bunch of shoes.  I do, though, like the elastic around the edge of the court shoe I am currently wearing...I have narrow feet and I think the elastic prevents the shoe from slipping off.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »

From what I understand, classic court shoes are a plain pump.  Shoes used for Smooth have straps. 
I was told to stick with the court shoes as it is a more traditional look for Standard.  This didn't bother me, as soon as I found that my foot would stay in the shoe without needing a strap.

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:26:55 PM »

I've seen Standard dancers dance with strappy shoes, too.  But, I can't complain as the strapless shoes are more comfy than the strappy shoes.  Where did you get the shoes you are wearing?  If at a store, why don't you go and try some other types on?

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »

Supa 1008 is my second favorite shoes, my #1 favorite is International Star strap (the one with a diagonal strap); dancesport UK site sell them, comes with medium, wide, extra wide and slim or flared heels.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 02:18:50 AM »

i will go here http://www.worldtonedance.com/, i hope very soon.

i need an AT shoes and i new court one.  Smiley

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:00:49 AM »

I was lucky to find a local supplier who could get a uk size length and a narrow width, did take seven weeks to arrive, but they fit like a glove very happy with it. I have an issues with buying on-line unless I can try them first I wont buy anymore, unless I have had the brand before.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:16:53 AM »

Supa 1008 is my second favorite shoes, my #1 favorite is International Star strap (the one with a diagonal strap); dancesport UK site sell them, comes with medium, wide, extra wide and slim or flared heels.

THANKS .... will ook into this. I also want a slim heel. do not like the contours at all!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »

The biggest difference between Smooth shoes and Standard shoes is the flexibility--Smooth is much more modern and balletic than Standard, so you typically need a much more flexible shoe to execute the lines, tricks, poses, etc.  As previously mentioned, court shoes are your typical pump, with or without straps across the instep.  The sides of a court shoe are always completely closed.

Here's an example of a court shoe with a strap:

I'm sure you are all familiar with the strap-less court shoes.

Smooth shoes, on the other hand, are also closed-toed but have open sides to allow for a better point to the foot.  They don't provide as much support for the foot as court shoes, but in turn have a much greater range of motion.

Example:
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »

We are due to go to a larger comp in a few months and I was going to try on a few different styles. I like a firmer toe area to give extra support, too soft in the front hurts my toes.

Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 10:57:45 AM »

I like to FEEL the floor

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »

I like Internationals. They have several different models to choose from.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »

I also like International, right now prefer Int'l more than supa.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »

Do you prefer a court shoes that has a firmer toe area? Or soft

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: