partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 12:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Your Events (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  International Dance Day 29th April
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: International Dance Day 29th April  (Read 1971 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: April 13, 2009, 12:23:17 AM »

International Dance has bee floated around for a while and is Listed on Wikipeda, not sure if it is true, if not there should be. Perhaps we can try to encourage others to promote partner dancing through community events and the workplace. Might be too late for this year but work on it for next year?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:25:48 AM »

I think I saw something about this last year. BUT so far no studio that I have seen around here is doing anything. Or rather in regards to metioning International Dance Day.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 12:27:54 AM »

Yes I have noticed it myself...that nothing is mentioned and everytime it was raised on another fourm nothing came of it and I was most surprised...

I think I saw something about this last year. BUT so far no studio that I have seen around here is doing anything. Or rather in regards to metioning International Dance Day.

Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 12:55:38 AM »

My guess (and I'm hazarding it at best) is that unless studios and dancers come together as a community .... it can be difficult to do events. (I am thinking bigger here than just a social or what have you, but smaller than say OSB/Blackpool).

While there are those of us in this world who genuinely support each other in dance, the studios we go to etc .... the majority tends to be more exclusive.

Which is a shame, because if one were to take on the time involved to create such an event in ones community, reach out to get studios in the area involved AND encourage it's dancers to spread the word and invite others, WOW can you imagine the impact that could truly have on dancing?

I say a shame because quite the opposite seems to be in effect. I suppose it is because time is certainly the biggest issue, it would require copious amounts and alot of legwork as well. But also there is the factor that studio owners do not want to participate for fear of losing business. (which seems like a non-problem to me because they would actually gain the business, as each studio has an atmosphere that will suit different people)

While ballroom or partner dancing is great and there are alot of good decent people, it has it's dark underbelly. Sigh ....

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:41:36 AM »

if one were to pull this off it would have to be without asking the studios - I think they would come into line once it was a done deal. 

The real problem is creating a reason that makes sense - I mean why have a dance day?  Its cute but what else?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:12:31 AM »

true true to a point. But I just know from prior experience in other ventures to gain the common good is to show common faith thus why getting multiple studios involved.

OR if your direction is correct .... not studios but at least independent pros. Find a big floor or mall or park or what have you, put on maybe some beginner workshops in AT, NV(since it is so new here), swing, ballroom, salsa etc .... cross pollinate communities too .... make it multicultural.

OOOOOO this is sounding better and better to me ..... wonder if I could pull something like this off here in MD for next year? I know I can get a proclamation from the state of MD too to make it a Day and get write ups in the local papers. (have done this in the past for other day events I have been involved in.) Hm .... Cheesy

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:25:54 AM »

The problem with the concept is that its an international dance day.  Its hard to avoid recruiting the major dance organizations - and that could be a political nightmare...

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »

but I do LOVE challenges!  Wink

Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »

While there are those of us in this world who genuinely support each other in dance, the studios we go to etc .... the majority tends to be more exclusive.

Absolutely true, and it is this attitude that will prevent Dancesport from becoming an Olympic sport. This parochialism seems to run majorities within the world of dancing. I have been told by different levels of competitors and authorities that they believe dancing is not a sport but an art. That seems to be in stark contrast with the competition community, we are not there to please the public per se but to be better than the other couples on the floor on that day. That is the essence of sports, competitive gatherings of like minded people trying to outdo each other in a "friendly" atmosphere.

I have had the privilege of beeing involved within the Olympic community and have attended many, many forums, meetings etc to have an brisk understanding about what drives the IOC to let a sport become part of the Olympics.

It is important that organisations all over he world get their studios in line to pursue this dream, as long we have hundreds of different governing bodies that fight each other foot and teeth we will have Buckley’s change to get there.

Maybe having a International Dance Day might be the trigger for that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:55:50 PM by Vagabond » Logged

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 09:43:02 PM »

V - I must admit I wholeheartedly (albeit sadly) agree with you on your post.

While there is support per se ... there is equally no support. And it runs the gambit from in studio, to inter studio, on up and up. There really is a very vicious, poisonous, underbelly to dancesport and it is a shame to the Sport AND Art as a whole. Thus it will be awhile longer before I think Dancesport is actually an Olympic event. AND this is just the tip of the iceberg on my personal opinion and theories for it to be accepted fully.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:55 AM »

Too many people with their own selfish agendas will spoil any chance of it becoming an Olympic event.  We have to clean house before we present it to the world or suffer the fate of skating before they changed.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 02:24:20 AM »

The key is one accepted international govening body for dance - but untill that body is a true representation of the dance community accross the world it will never have real credence.   

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 05:03:25 AM »

its a bit like asking for one church and one faith...not going to happen..which is sad we can only hope that it will change

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 07:06:23 AM »

I got to go on the radio to promote this day, they were very keen to learn more, I now am tyring to get our danceing assoication to do something for next year and capitalize on the exposure

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 03:02:27 AM »

Happy International Dance Day everyone. Going trainig tonight and tomorrow back on the radio to follow-up from last weeks interview. The radio annoucners are doing their performance and they want us to come down and watch and show what we can do....... Shocked

Hope they dont have webcam  Shocked

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: