partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 11:58:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Band-Aids, Asprins and Splints (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Dance injuries and possible remedies
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Dance injuries and possible remedies  (Read 4185 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 11:17:26 PM »

My chiropractor actually says that with all the complaints he is hearing he is beginning to think that some people have misunderstood ballroom dancing for a combat sport.  Wink

no, - well maybe a bit between you and your partner Cheesy

He had been watching a youtube clip that a dancer/patient had forwarded to him.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 12:16:43 AM »

I've had a bad case of Plantar fasciitis, though hopefully not a heel spur, for the last month.  I have not been able to jog for awhile and dancing is very painful.  Once the comps are over I will take some time off but in the meantime I am trying to stretch it.  I think the main problem is that I practice on my own (which I have not been doing now to give it a break) in my basement which is tile on a cement floor and I also walk around in bare feet all the time.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 01:38:12 AM »

I've had a bad case of Plantar fasciitis, though hopefully not a heel spur, for the last month.  I have not been able to jog for awhile and dancing is very painful.  Once the comps are over I will take some time off but in the meantime I am trying to stretch it.  I think the main problem is that I practice on my own (which I have not been doing now to give it a break) in my basement which is tile on a cement floor and I also walk around in bare feet all the time.

I  had that a couple of years ago after I sprained my ankle really badly - took me nearly 2 years before I could walk/dance without pain.  Cost me a fortune in physiotherapy and pain relief drugs.  Mine eventually got better on its own - gave up on medicine.  Just kept it strapped really tight for dancing and was very careful not to overwork it.  It still twinges occasionally but I don't give in to it. Good luck with yours.  mm  Cool
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 01:50:32 AM »

The pain is only in my heel and actually radiates up both sides and the back edge.  I have no pain anywhere else but I am guess PF because it involves the heel.  I will make an appointment with the doctor to be sure.  I had it many many moons ago but it was more in the arch between the heel and ball of foot.  This time it's different.  When you strapped yours up was it around the arch area? 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
maccer
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 03:03:06 AM »

One of my friends had this a while ago. Her dr referred her to a podiatrist who made up special orthotics for her shoes. Her dr also prescribed anti inflamatories. These treatments helped her enormously. She also had to do stretching exercises. I hope you can find some answers too Rugby.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 07:39:18 AM »

my foot problem is the ball of my foot under my big toe. I thought it the bunion, but I now believe it to be a build up of callous and it alters the way your foot is in the shoes. Pushes up the toes apparently. I know the bunion is a problem, but wearing low shoes has helped a lot. Have to look after the feet, they are so precious! Would love to go for  a pedicure. next time I will ask for a voucher for mothers day and birthdays  Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »

A lot of my foot problems subsided when I was taught never to push off of my feet and never to rise using my foot, ankle, or calf muscles (just lower onto a toe as if you're stepping onto a platform).  My ankle issues also went away when I was told never to lower into my knees. 

I don't know if any of these solutions will help. 
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »

The pain is only in my heel and actually radiates up both sides and the back edge.  I have no pain anywhere else but I am guess PF because it involves the heel.   

Probably, although it might be worth getting it X-rayed just to make sure it isn't a bone spur.  When I had PF, it hurt mostly in the portion of the arch at the front edge of the heel.  I took to wearing sneakers with big lumps of toilet paper stuffed in them to support the arch, and over time, that relieved the tension and it started to heal up.  It was a slow process, though.  It took nearly a year from the original injury until it felt completely back to normal. 

And don't try to stretch it until it has healed some.  Stretching it now will re-injure it.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 11:45:04 PM »

One of my friends had this a while ago. Her dr referred her to a podiatrist who made up special orthotics for her shoes. Her dr also prescribed anti inflamatories. These treatments helped her enormously. She also had to do stretching exercises. I hope you can find some answers too Rugby.

Thanks, I hope so too. 

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 11:56:52 PM »

I had this weird experience on the weekend.  We went to a comp in Stoney Creek and stayed at a clean, friendly but modest motel that was really cheap to stay at and 5 minutes from the comp.  We got in really late and thought we would both be bushed in the morning.  My DP had a headache and my foot was just killing me and the pain had been keeping me up the previous few nights.  We ended up having the best sleep we have had in months and he lost his headache and my foot was great.  I could walk normal and pain free.  Other things started to work out for us too and we got to think we were in the Twilight Zone or something.  It then occured to me that we had actually found Shangra-La or that Irish Village that vanixhes.  When we pulled out of the motel if we looked back it would have vanished.  Don, the little old friendly motel keeper who helped us out was short because he was actually an elf.  My foot was great for an hour but oddly enough I did notice that the further away from the motel we were the more my foot ached and his headache came back.  We have now realized that we must find Shangra-La again and move in.         

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 02:52:00 AM »

Thats pretty funny!  What you did not know is that it was actually Brigadoon - if you had stayed a few more hours you would not have reapeared for a year...
OTOH I think we all need the address to cure what ails us:-\

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »

Brigadoon, that's the name.  I will have to tell DP as neither of us could recall it.  Guess even Shangra-La can't cure bad memories.

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »

Twisted hip problem....remedy: take the step in CBMP
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 09:36:51 PM »

yes, but there is only so much CBMP that the body is capapble of.

well, I guess it does depend on exactly how much you twisted your hip Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 11:07:49 PM »

yes, but there is only so much CBMP that the body is capapble of.

well, I guess it does depend on exactly how much you twisted your hip Roll Eyes

It is said that you can maximum rotate 1/8 without the other part (upper body (ribcage) verses lower body (hips)) getting involved. So…. I would say 1/8 Wink

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: