partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:43:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  at a comp, which entries?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: at a comp, which entries?  (Read 2855 times)
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »

Not to mention it's pretty impractical to have an event for all levels--it's really not fair to the Bronze or even Silver students.  How could they possibly have a chance competing against the top Pro-Ams in the country?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2010, 05:00:50 AM »

First, at least here some of the DSS events are rather poorly attented and also some of the schollarship competitors have weak fundamentals.  I know of a silver level dancer from here who made it to the semis at OSB - and I think you will find that some of the students with super-successful pros do far better than their 'level'. 

Should have a look at the OSB semifinalists from last year to see if they really are open level dancers - I bet there are exceptions.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »

Bringing this up - does it make sense to do closed gold single dances for standard? It seems like they're underattended.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 03:12:12 AM »

Bringing this up - does it make sense to do closed gold single dances for standard? It seems like they're underattended.
Interesting question.  'Closed' syllabus in pro-am are really a throw-over from AM.  For Am they make sense since you have to master basic technique before trying open.  For pro-am they make less so because one partner is already (or often at least) a master of open (actually they really make more sense since it forces the pro to stick to training steps for the am and not run off into the open jungle before they have been learned).  What makes things complicated is that most of the best multidance events are, as you point out, open so you feel as if you have to do the latter to be 'in the competition'.  Its not true of course (as discussed elsewhere) at least in teh dancesport events where you can win with just syllabus steps (with good judges).

THere is a bigger question - whether there is any point in doing single dances at all.  I mean their main function is really to get more entry fees for the competition and the pros - if they were so essential the AMs would have to do them too (and obviously we do not).  However, I think they are very useful on a personal level even if uncontested.  When you reach championship in AM you have to hit the floor running - your first heat is your first round of the big event.  The great thing about single dances is you get a chance to burn some energy, get grounded on the floor and even make a few mistakes before hitting the multidance events.  I think AMS would kill for that.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »

Well, other than we have to do single dances at most competitions, they make a great warm up (this is my problem with OSB schedule, btw - standard multi-dance is on a different day so no warm-up). And closed bronze and silver dances are generally reasonably attended (assuming a particular style is popular in the area). Gold smooth is reasonably attended, too. By "reasonably attended" I mean the number of couples in them is somewhere close to the number of couples in the scholarship. Not so with closed gold singles. So far I've danced gold standard twice, and pre-gold and closed gold were uncontested (I think I was supposed to have another competitor at HOA, but she scratched due to injury). The rest of couples in the open scholarship were doing open gold singles. And now looking at OSB final schedule, pre-gold and closed gold evemts are straighjt finals (and please someone tell me there are multiple competitors in them, I would really hate being uncontested at OSB), and the two open gold levels have quarter finals in all age groups, it seems.

So I feel like telling my pro that next time I compete, I don't care whether we dance our closed gold routines, or the open ones, but I don't want to enter closed gold singles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: