partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 02:06:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  at a comp, which entries?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: at a comp, which entries?  (Read 2682 times)
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 09:58:01 AM »

So, if I ever see her again, I can feel free to tell her that I *sigh* am (pause) okay with Standard, but my heart is in Smooth and that it is her fault?  Now that I'm with a new instructor and we are doing Standard, I don't think that'll work!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 10:53:44 PM »

Resurrecting this thread because, well, I've lost my freakin' mind.

Somehow my pro has managed to convince me to enter Open Latin at Vol State next month.  Now, I have never competed in anything higher than Bronze, and in fact at Vol State last year I came in 6th out of 7 in the Bronze scholarship (although granted, the judging was wonky all weekend).  But Pro figures that since I'm more of an emotion/performance dancer that I'll have more fun with Open (okay, I'll give him that one), which will help my scores.  And since he believes in me beyond the point of being smart, he thinks that the people around here don't give me enough credit for being as good a dancer as I am--his words, not mine.

Problems:
1. I am not an open-level dancer.  I am in over my head and will have my tuchus handed to me by girls half my size that have been dancing Latin at least twice as long as I have.  And it will be handed to me at the evening session, in front of alllllllllllllllllllllllll those people there to watch the pros.
2. I don't have an appropriate costume for Open, with no money to buy or rent one.  And I'm not easy to fit.  Pro says this will not be an issue since he's with Dore', but I just don't see how he could manage that.
3. We only have 2 routines--the cha-cha and rumba showcases we've done together.  Assuming we also use the mini-routine he has for paso that's really suited for Bronze, that makes 3.  My jive sucks and samba makes me want to bash my head against the wall.

Pros:
1. See above.
2. There is almost nobody in my area or that comes to our comps that does Open Latin A.  I'm pretty well guaranteed to finish in the money.  As opposed to Bronze, which would likely be a full final.  I'm guessing that having my rear handed to me in Open--but winning some money in the process--would be less humiliating than having it handed to me in Bronze and getting nothing.

Thoughts?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 05:43:52 AM »

Well I am not a latin dancer so I can say how difficult it should be. but Why does he want you to do so? is it for him or for you, especially if you dont know  or are not strong at some of the dancers.

No-one can make that decision for you. that is a prediciment. I dont think I would be brave enough to do it. Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 05:52:23 AM »

MC Your entry is pro-am right - is the heat called 'Open'?  Its usually either 'Scholarship' or 'Dancesport series'.  Can you just clarify?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »

Yes, he's talking about "Open" Open.  The scholarships offered at Vol State are Closed Bronze, Closed Silver, and Open.  There is no "Open Bronze" scholarship available.  Nashville StarZ in January has an Open Bronze scholarship, but not Vol State.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »

I see.  Here they call it 'schollarship' OR 'open' - the latter being reserved for AM or PRO comps.  Don't know why, pro-am schollarship is just as 'open' Undecided

OTOH there is 'open bronze' or 'open gold' just not 'open' open!  Grin

I think he is crazy moving you from bronze to open in one step.  Fortunately in pro-am there are no rules so eve if you did it you could move back to bronze again.  The idea that you will do better in open because you follow well etc if you do not have mastery of bronze technique is, IMHO, crazy.  Its a sure fire way to get stuck - compete and always do poorly.  What to do?  Its obviously your call.  Since he is game you could try it once, might be a blast, but if its going to freak you out then put your foot down.  An alameda on his toe would do it.  After all, its your dollar.

Is the underlying problem that he already has a lot of AMs in the lower divisions and there is an opening there?  If so I would be very suspicious of his intentions - because why move you and not one of the others - in particular if he has higher level students.

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »

Fortunately in pro-am there are no rules so eve if you did it you could move back to bronze again.

That's one of the few reasons I actually considered it--I have about as much chance of winning Open as of Ben & Shalene returning to pro competition.  And since I don't have the money to compete at anything but our two competitions here in Nashville, I'm not going to build up a reputation or get enough points to keep me from going back to Bronze.

The idea that you will do better in open because you follow well etc if you do not have mastery of bronze technique is, IMHO, crazy.  Its a sure fire way to get stuck - compete and always do poorly.

Well, at this point I could probably be considered at an open bronze level, maybe pre-silver.  Pro figures that since I do so well with choreography (and have more fun with it) instead of basic syllabus stuff, and that since I'm not just a dry technique dancer but am more in-tune with the emotional and performance aspects of dance, that I'll have more fun with open routines and it'll show on the floor.  I kind of look at it as a short collection of showcase pieces, and I've proven in the past that I can handle open-level showcases.  And he didn't say this, but I think Pro might be worried that we'll get into a rut if I just stay in Bronze forever because I'm not placing well.  Like I said before, I can't afford to compete that often, so with a bigger, more visible field in Bronze, I might actually have a harder time getting noticed and getting good results.  But in a smaller field, dancing more interesting routines, at a high level, people (and not just the judges) will more or less be forced to take notice.

Is the underlying problem that he already has a lot of AMs in the lower divisions and there is an opening there?  If so I would be very suspicious of his intentions - because why move you and not one of the others - in particular if he has higher level students.

Actually, that's not the case at all.  In reality, I'm one of his most advanced students, if not the most advanced.  He's got one other girl dancing Latin that's my same age (as well as a few B ladies and one other A girl that does Rhythm), but she's at a lower level, intermediate bronze at best.   I even jokingly asked him if he was suggesting that just so she could do the Bronze scholarship (he told me a month or so ago that she'd asked him which one of us was going to get the Bronze scholarship, but he told her I was since I'd committed to it months in advance already.  We used to be friends... Roll Eyes), but he said absolutely not, that in fact he didn't think she was ready for a scholarship.  And even amongst all his students of various ages, levels, and styles, I'm probably the calmest under pressure.  I don't freak out or get nervous before performances--showcases or comps--I just do what needs to be done without having to hyperventilate about it.  He told me on Tuesday, "You're my only girl that I think would be able to handle this," so I think he just really wants me to do it because he thinks I can.

The prize money is double for Open what it is for Bronze and Silver, so I could come in 5th in Open (there are likely to be 4-5 couples in Open A, including myself) and win the same amount as if I came in 3rd in Bronze.

I know there are some of you out there thinking, "Well, why skip right to Open?  Why not just do Silver instead?"  I thought about that myself, to be honest.  But at this comp, the Silver scholarship is Closed Silver and not Open Silver, so if we do Silver, we might as well do Bronze, since we still wouldn't be able to do the "fun stuff," i.e. our open routines.

And you know, the more I've thought about it, the more I think that, assuming we can have all the extra routines ready in time and that I don't somehow faceplant during the comp, it's kind of a win-win for me.  I know I'm in over my head here and that I'm really reaching, so I can't be disappointed no matter how the results turn out.  I can be perfectly satisfied with coming in dead last, knowing that that's really where I belong anyway for that field and that I put in all the work I could.  As long as I don't have some sort of costume malfunction or something else equally out of my control, there's almost no way for me to be embarrassed or upset about how things turn out, which absolutely isn't guaranteed in Bronze.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »

*looks up*

Shocked

Wow, okay, if any of you can get through all that, kudos to you.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 02:22:34 PM »

Sounds like you've done the thinking about this and its going to be a lot of fun. 
This is MOST significant: "He told me on Tuesday, "You're my only girl that I think would be able to handle this,"

So go for it and have a blast Smiley

And DO report back! Wink

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »

It's a crazy idea, there's no 2 ways about that.  But I guess neither one of us ever claimed to be sane...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »

My favorite bumper sticker is 'Why be Normal'
I would be equally attracted to "Why be Sane"

You can swim in my pond Wink

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 10:00:15 PM »

In some way, this was how I got into doing open standard dancesport series. Because the competition we regularly go to changed rules, and we did not read them before doing the entries, I ended up having to switch one of the multi-dance events I paid for, and the organizers suggested standard dss event. My original intention was to do both bronze and silver scholarships and straddle the levels (it was allowed in the previous years, I did so when I was transitioning from bronze to silver smooth, so I wanted to do same thing with standard). So I ended up entered into bronze scholarship and standard dss. 15-20 minutes before we were supposed to dance dss, my teacher said to me "Wait a sec, that is an open thing? I can do anything I want? OK, just follow". It went better than expected, I didn't panic, didn't make any major mess-ups, and so, we started doing dss as purely improvisational thing and have been doing so for the last few years. I feel that over the years it helped me that I was entering an event, in which I did not know what's coming and had to rely only on my following skills <yeah, you can practice this during the lessons, but it's not the same when you're doing it on the competition floor under pressure and you can't just stop when something goes wrong>.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 12:17:14 AM »

Schollarship is open but Dancesport series was never meant to be an open event (which is why I raised the question originally) its described as a multi-dance event for all levels.  I have seen bronze and silver students winning DSS over schollarship ones. 

However, at OSB team match I think most if not all the competitors are open level.  This is probably because on average the schollarship studens win the most points (even though there is a rather tenuous relationship beetween OSB team match and points).

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 09:13:33 AM »

<yeah, you can practice this during the lessons, but it's not the same when you're doing it on the competition floor under pressure and you can't just stop when something goes wrong>

LOL...I've even proven myself there.  The first time me and Pro did a showdance at a comp, he totally blanked on an entire section of choreography.  We're in the middle of one move, and suddenly he's preparing to lead me into a step that's probably 30 sec later in the routine!  In my head I was going, "WTF is he doing?  That's not next...whatever," but I just went with it and we finished out the routine without a hitch.  Nobody could tell the routine wasn't quite right towards the end, and later HE was the one moaning about how he couldn't believe he'd missed all that!

And ttd, at least it was just an oversight for you that turned out okay--I'm agreeing ahead of time to the insanity!
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »

Schollarship is open but Dancesport series was never meant to be an open event (which is why I raised the question originally) its described as a multi-dance event for all levels.  I have seen bronze and silver students winning DSS over schollarship ones. 

However, at OSB team match I think most if not all the competitors are open level.  This is probably because on average the schollarship studens win the most points (even though there is a rather tenuous relationship beetween OSB team match and points).

Maybe it was originally intended to be open to all levels, but really it is not that common for a lower-level student to win (especially when it ends up being a larger event). It depends on who else shows up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: