partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  at a comp, which entries?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: at a comp, which entries?  (Read 2854 times)
skipper
Bronze

« on: June 07, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »

When you are going to a competion to dance, how is the decision made about which levels, divisions, scholarships etc.?
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »

I dance pro-am. My teacher does not have anyone else my age (he has another lady doing same level as I do, but she is older), so I get to dance my age group and level. For single dances, I do 2 sets, usually the highest 2 sublevels of silver. This way I usually have a smaller break between the last set of singles and multi-dances. We haven't been in this situation yet, but if there are no A and B scholarships, one of us could dance open, I suppose. We would probably leave it to him to decide which one.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »

well I also dance pro/am ... (thankfully my pro does not have others at my age level or level of dancing)

I am in in the 35 age group, newcomer/pre-bronze for my first comp 5 singles in newcomer and 5 in pre-bronze.
His other ladies: 1 is 50 and does American Rhythm pre-bronze/bronze, the other is i think 45 (or close to it) and does Silver standard
so we all dance different age/category/level etc ...

but each comp is different (for age groups and levels you can dance, etc ...)

like for instance Capital Dancesport just announced in may

"For the first time, competitiors may dance TWO ages and THREE consecutive levels in all single dance categories. Competitors may only dance ONE age in scholarships, championships, Dancesport Series and Best of the Best."

My suggestion if you are interested in competing ... talk to your pro, the studio owners, or other "established/seasoned" amateur competitors to find out or help with the forms. OR when in doubt and you have exhausted those possibilities, call the organizer of the comp you wish to compete at, many of them are nice and will answer your questions. After all it is business for them. =)

if you are a pro/am - er .... really go to your pro first .... he/she will have the info and the knowledge and know what age/level/etc you should be dancing.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 07:31:08 AM »

"For the first time, competitiors may dance TWO ages and THREE consecutive levels in all single dance categories. "
At some point they will be trying to get blood out of a stone I fear... Surely this is just about making money...
OTOH maybe its to let competitors dance two 'real' levels - bronze and silver for example, as AMs can (because they do not have the intervening 'intermediate silver'.

if you are a pro/am - er .... really go to your pro first .... he/she will have the info and the knowledge and know what age/level/etc you should be dancing.

Well, mostly.  But it depends on whether s/he has actually competed pro/am before.  Mine had not and made a lot of mistakes in my first comp.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »

i sorta agree Elise ... money I think plays a HUGE role .... but around here I have heard conversations of AMs wanting the ability to dance MORE at comps. AND also some teachers/pros who want to get the over X amount of dances in for top teacher awards.

I know of one Pro/Am couple that this is a HUGE boon for the AM because she will dance the 3 levels as well as scholarship/championship ... blah blah blah ...

thus it eliminates having more students (to get top teacher - if pro does not have that many students) so can do less students more dances ergo ... more money for pro perhaps from fewer students?

also may have more participation from competitors.

Anyway you look at it .... more money for the organizers and pros. less for the competing AMs. lol

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 01:14:24 AM »

we are lucky here, it cost on average from a local comp to interstate comp about $30-120 to get in. Competitors don't pay anymore that someone who watches and there is no additional cost per entry of event. That would become cost prohibitive to pay per event, I would have to reconsider my involvement Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »

i sorta agree Elise ... money I think plays a HUGE role .... but around here I have heard conversations of AMs wanting the ability to dance MORE at comps. AND also some teachers/pros who want to get the over X amount of dances in for top teacher awards.

I know of one Pro/Am couple that this is a HUGE boon for the AM because she will dance the 3 levels as well as scholarship/championship ... blah blah blah ...

thus it eliminates having more students (to get top teacher - if pro does not have that many students) so can do less students more dances ergo ... more money for pro perhaps from fewer students?

Anyway you look at it .... more money for the organizers and pros. less for the competing AMs. lol

[Your terminology is rational EM but not how its usually used - usually we reserve the term AM for an amateur couple competitor - I know pro/am sounds like both but its actually only the AM half (the pro in a pro/am is not a pro/am Wink).  To make it clear I used to write pro/AM - bu tmaybe that confused everyone even more Smiley]

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 09:32:40 PM »

but ya got what I meant right? the am half or the pro/am.

[Your terminology is rational EM but not how its usually used - usually we reserve the term AM for an amateur couple competitor - I know pro/am sounds like both but its actually only the AM half (the pro in a pro/am is not a pro/am Wink).  To make it clear I used to write pro/AM - bu tmaybe that confused everyone even more Smiley]

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 07:01:41 AM »

yes - I finally found your line in the quote!!

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »

Very interestingly, having someone else in my age range and my level was the reason I was switched to Standard.  This other lady had more money to enter comps than I do, but I have the more competitive spirit and wanted to go to more comps.  She and I both danced Smooth, so I was moved to Standard so that she could dance Smooth and attend whatever comps she wanted..  I was very much against the move at first, but now, I don't remember why I was so in love with Smooth!

I am, in both the old studio and the new one, the only competitive Standard student.  I used to not like it, but now it suits me just fine.  So, I am entered wherever my instructor feels I should be.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »

This other lady had more money to enter comps than I do, but I have the more competitive spirit and wanted to go to more comps. 
so the obvious solution was for her to pay for your comps...

QED

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »

That would have been nice, but well, it wasn't going to happen.
She's at the old studio, anyway. 

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 06:29:32 AM »

..she can send a check Tongue

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 08:24:32 AM »

Riiiight.  Please send a check in care of new studio so that I can compete more because you were the reason I was moved from Smooth to Standard.  I got the better end of the deal, though.  I love Standard and I love my new instructor. 

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 02:13:59 AM »

better not tell her the latter bit, sounds like a deal breaker - no guilt. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: