partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  America's Ballroom Challenge
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: America's Ballroom Challenge  (Read 1116 times)
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« on: June 07, 2009, 07:18:55 AM »

Does anyone know where to find online videos of this years Ballroom Challenge, I watched last years on youtube and would really like to see 2009's

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:24:43 AM »

if you get an answer let me know, they wont show it here I have asked. would be great if they could do so even it it was late at night

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »

Anybody try pbs.com?  Or your local public broadcasting station?  Just a thought...

Yes.  Quite.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:53:15 AM »

PBS doesn't make a DVD of it to sell.  The only way you can see it again is if your local PBS station replays it and you tape it from the TV.  I've checked.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 12:51:05 PM »

i want to record it.

i saw a great dress on the show.  Grin

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:17:30 AM »

no PBS do not release this as a DVD or show it outside of America that I know. I did write to them and they never got back to me  Sad

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 12:22:18 AM »

Don't worry, you didn't miss much.  Last year's was good but this year was a disappointment.  It was pretty much just all the showdances and most were just okay.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 12:51:09 AM »

glad to hear that. we have something on our way over Xmas and it is usually good but this year the deviated and it was pretty ordinary as well. I dont know who gives them the advise. But they cater for the non dancing audience not the actuall dancers.

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:07:42 AM »

I'm sure that was the case with the Challenge too.  The filming wasn't even good.  They would show the two hosts talking and half the one host would not be in the camera shot, then half the other would not be shown.  I kept thinking that obviously no one has heard of panning out in that crew.

If they show only the showdances next year it will be a real turn off.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai PiĆ¹ Senza! ~

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 02:17:07 AM »

PBS doesn't make a DVD of it to sell.  The only way you can see it again is if your local PBS station replays it and you tape it from the TV.  I've checked.
Yes me too

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »

Yeah, I found this:

Is America's Ballroom Challenge available on VHS or DVD?

Unfortunately, no. The expense of clearing music rights prevents us from offering this program on VHS or DVD.

Yes.  Quite.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »

Is America's Ballroom Challenge available on VHS or DVD?

Unfortunately, no. The expense of clearing music rights prevents us from offering this program on VHS or DVD.

As a music industry person, and especially one that's worked with songwriters and therefore licensing fees, I'll back this up.  Sync fees for TV are insanely expensive already, and putting them onto a DVD for sale is even more.  It's different when you see an artist release a live DVD onto the market--those songs have already been licensed for use to that artist, so the extra fees for a DVD release are much less.  But for something like this, the artists are not involved, and not only do the producers of the show have to license the use of the composition (done through the songwriters), but they also have to license the use of the master recording from the record label (the difference between using "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban and using "You Raise Me Up" by Celtic Women, for example).  While it sucks for us not to be able to buy the show on DVD, the cost of licensing all the music would likely make the price of the DVD higher than we would probably be willing to pay.
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 05:13:58 PM »

I was so disappointed in the show this year.  There was so much great dancing in the filmed heats that was completely ignored in favour of showdances that weren't anywhere near as strong as they have been in previous years.  Why deviate from a formula that has worked for years now?  I don't get it... Sad

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 05:23:28 PM »

Because the lowest common denominator--which is who watches this broadcast--can't keep up with all the couples on the floor during the finals and doesn't know any better re: the showdances.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 05:56:08 AM »

we had the same problem with a show that we have annually on TV...they deviated from the formula and the dancers were incensed, but those that dont know much about dancing thought it was great Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: