partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 03:39:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  the centre - mechanical and mythical...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: the centre - mechanical and mythical...  (Read 3133 times)
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 07:13:04 PM »

Going to continue down the path that C started for the moment, as it's something that came up in my lesson today.  We were working on projecting one side forward, especially during rumba and cha-cha walks, and it just felt like I couldn't move my ribcage very far forward, as if I didn't have the muscles to do it properly.  So that got me to thinking, is this a case where I need to work on developing the muscles around my center in my torso, or do I just need to figure out how to stretch the muscles I already have more effectively?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »

Not sure if its the same in latin as in standard, but the one side forward in the latter is accompanied by a rotation so that the head actually stays straight on the spine - you don't want to break that line...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 05:15:38 AM »

So that got me to thinking, is this a case where I need to work on developing the muscles around my center in my torso, or do I just need to figure out how to stretch the muscles I already have more effectively?

This is mainly conrtaction of the abs and all mid/lower back muscles. Focus there.   Smiley

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 02:40:36 PM »

Projecting a side forward is a contraction of the muscles?  I'm confused...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »

Projecting a side forward is a contraction of the muscles?  I'm confused...

Yes. Somewhere on the PDO, I have talked about dancers always thinking in opposites. In this case, you are wanting to get a well forward rib cage during rumba/samba walks. The way to achieve this is what we typically refer to as contract and roll (as described above). A up/forward rib cage is the result of this body action.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: