partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 12:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  "Posing" during dancing
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: "Posing" during dancing  (Read 4819 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »

Out of all of the competitions/performances I've done over the last 4 1/2 years, I only have two that I have ever liked.  Not good.  Not good at all.
I'm jealous!  I was at 6-years before I saw a decent picture of myself.   Grin
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »

Out of all of the competitions/performances I've done over the last 4 1/2 years, I only have two that I have ever liked.  Not good.  Not good at all.
I'm jealous!  I was at 6-years before I saw a decent picture of myself.   Grin
Wink

There is really only one that I will show to people now, but the other still stands as a picture I liked. 

well, its also possible that you are too hard on yourself Wink

And you can always spend a few hours in photoshop Cheesy
I'm always too hard on myself (according to most of the people who get to know me) but I don't know what I can do to change it.

As for Photoshop, I certainly have the ability to do that, but no.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 01:48:45 PM »

You guys are really lucky. I never had one picture that looked acceptable to me.  Maybe we just had bad photographers at the time. Tongue

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »

You guys are really lucky. I never had one picture that looked acceptable to me.  Maybe we just had bad photographers at the time. Tongue
Or maybe it's just that your standard is much higher. Wink

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 05:54:40 AM »

Actually I find that a bit sad DSV.  Standards are fine but aren't you being too hard on yourself if you have to be perfect?  I don't mean to be mean, but it sort of reminds me of the anorexic that always looks fat in the mirror...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 05:57:33 AM »

not me. I rather be as true to form.

LOL
Well I do too - but you can have a picture where everything is terrific but the way the light caught you makes you look like your nose is twice its normal size.  In that case the picture is actually NOT true to form since it portrays an error (and no, it wasn't even accurate at the time to an observer since no one but the camera captured that instant).

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »

Actually I find that a bit sad DSV.  Standards are fine but aren't you being too hard on yourself if you have to be perfect?  I don't mean to be mean, but it sort of reminds me of the anorexic that always looks fat in the mirror...

Sad Huh Shocked Huh I actually see it as a very positive trade. It means that I am not stuck in the past and with what I used to do. I would say it doesn't matter what level you are at, you will always be able to see things that could be better. If I were to compare to picture of most others of the time, then yes, they were pretty good. If I was to compare to what I know I would be able to do, then they sure needed work. As you get better your eye sharpens and you see just about the same amount of issues wrong and that could be better as you did years before. If you were to go back and look at what you did, say 3 years back, I am sure you would not be too impressed with yourself and find things that could be improved or that you have already improved. I am going back 20 years to see my last picture and lots of things have improved since then, thank God. Let’s say you go 20 years back and look at what you did back then to how you do it today, whether it is dancing or something else. Wouldn’t you say that what you did back then is not as good as what you could have done with what you know now…. hindsight? I have worked a lot on my dancing and improved a lot since the last pictures that was taken and therefore has a sharper eyes then I did when the pictures were taken. I am not perfect or will never be perfect. I am continually working on bettering myself and developing my dancing to new heights. Let’s just face reality here. Dancing has developed a lot over the last 20 years, 10 years even 5 years. If you were stuck in doing and believing what was the very best back then, then you wouldn’t do well in today's world. I think most great teachers have a desire to have their students do better then they did when they danced. My main teacher often said that our pictures looked better then his pictures and I must say I often feel the same about my students. I am happy when students of mine, show me pictures that look better then any of my pictures. So I have to disagree I don’t see it as either bad or sad. I see it as a victory that I have moved to new heights and is able to help students dance better then I did back then.

DSV
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:02:32 AM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »

I think we see this very differently.  Its important for me to feel happy with how I am. Thus, if I compete and get a nice picture I am happy with it later too even if there are obvious things that could be done better as long as I was danceing as well as I could at that time.  I have learned that as a general way of living else I run the danger of always being disastisfied with myself.  The two videos I posted recently dancing with A are the same - I know they are flaws I can see them (in some cases probably better than anyone else) but I also know that that dancing is what I am and is as good as I could do under the circumstances - there are no major screw ups.  Thus, I am happy to share them and also to look at them again.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »

I have reviewd many pictures of us dancing and at the time I thought well that looks ok and then I look at the next genreation compared to the old ones and think oh my...did I do that I thought it looked OK...I cant even look at some of the old ones anymore,I need to look at it different like... gee look where I have come from to how I look now and in another six months I hope to keep that idea going... Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »

but its a bit scary that the pictures you love today you may abhor tomorrow Undecided

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 09:27:17 PM »

Or sometimes the photographer just caught you at the wrong moment, I mean it only takes 1/200 of a second.  Roll Eyes
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »

yes the photographer is taking an action shot and it happens so quickly, but your dancing evolves also...that is why you change your opinion....not that the photo was not good, but you see things you have done and can still improve on.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 02:30:19 AM »

Or sometimes the photographer just caught you at the wrong moment, I mean it only takes 1/200 of a second.  Roll Eyes

thats true but its amazing how your photos improve in sync with your dancing.  I find them to be awfully honest - which means that the errors I make I make consistently.  Why I can't see them as easily on video I really don't know ...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 03:13:26 AM »

yes and like I mentioned before I like to see the changes that appear in the photos of your dancing as you go through your dancing journey.

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 04:54:10 AM »

There is a photo that hopefully was taken of us at the last competition, but we haven't seen the prints yet. DP contrachecked me right in front of the camera. So want to see it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: