partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 04:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  The Advice topic
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: The Advice topic  (Read 6728 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »

well dang...we had no idea we did that...spooky, we just have lived with each other way too long!  Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2009, 10:12:48 AM »

wax on, wax off

That is the way I have always been taught, both for life and dancing. That is what I was doing this last week. Love it Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2009, 09:43:34 PM »

wax on, wax off

That is the way I have always been taught, both for life and dancing. That is what I was doing this last week. Love it Grin
You are making me curious now DSV, very curious Wink

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2009, 07:00:31 AM »

...and I thought we were talking about depilatories.... Tongue

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2009, 07:31:49 AM »

take it allegorically - thats my way of getting on with life Smiley

'grasshopper' is from kung-fu-Kane (David Carradine, who just died very mysteriously in a hotel room BTW), a TV series about a western guy who returns to the US after growing up in nepal or somwhere like that and wanders small town-to small town with someone chasing him but always doing good with his eastern buddhist training and martial arts skills.... he has flash backs to his training as a child when he was called 'grasshopper' by the guru.

So 'grasshhopper' is neophyte.  So far so good.

'open your eyes' or 'the blow of the fist will otherwise kiss your cheeks'.
OK, I'm Huh too Cheesy

Sounds like he is saying open your eyes so that you can avoid the sting of love...  but that means running away I think.

OK V, help us out here

now you sound like the I-Ching or E-D=Ching.

The General Meaning

M?ng (indicates that in the case which it presupposes) there will be progress and success. I do not (go and) seek the youthful and inexperienced, but he comes and seeks me. When he shows (the sincerity that marks) the first recourse to divination, I instruct him. If he apply a second and third time, that is troublesome; and I do not instruct the troublesome. There will be advantage in being firm and correct

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2009, 08:41:48 AM »

take it allegorically - thats my way of getting on with life Smiley

'grasshopper' is from kung-fu-Kane (David Carradine, who just died very mysteriously in a hotel room BTW), a TV series about a western guy who returns to the US after growing up in nepal or somwhere like that and wanders small town-to small town with someone chasing him but always doing good with his eastern buddhist training and martial arts skills.... he has flash backs to his training as a child when he was called 'grasshopper' by the guru.

So 'grasshhopper' is neophyte.  So far so good.

'open your eyes' or 'the blow of the fist will otherwise kiss your cheeks'.
OK, I'm Huh too Cheesy

Sounds like he is saying open your eyes so that you can avoid the sting of love...  but that means running away I think.

OK V, help us out here

now you sound like the I-Ching or E-D=Ching.

The General Meaning

M?ng (indicates that in the case which it presupposes) there will be progress and success. I do not (go and) seek the youthful and inexperienced, but he comes and seeks me. When he shows (the sincerity that marks) the first recourse to divination, I instruct him. If he apply a second and third time, that is troublesome; and I do not instruct the troublesome. There will be advantage in being firm and correct

I haven't heard Meng being quoted for a long time, the ancient classics have become somewhat disbanded by the west especially the book of changes, book of poetry and shang shu
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:44:18 AM by Vagabond » Logged

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2009, 09:00:41 AM »

I am not familiar with the last two. Please say more.

I mostly got the foolish quaetion response with the I ching

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2009, 09:05:47 AM »

The rites of Zhou, Chu Ci, Yili, the book of changes, book of poetry and shang shu are all part of the ancient classics. More broadly speaking, Chinese classic texts may refer to texts, be they written in vernacular Chinese or in classical Chinese, that existed before 1912, when the last imperial Chinese dynasty, the Qing Dynasty, fell.

A good place to research is http://chinese.dsturgeon.net/text.pl?node=3925&if=en

Have fun, it will keep you busy for a while, A part I had to study was Sun Tzu on The Art of War
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:07:55 AM by Vagabond » Logged

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2009, 09:20:41 AM »

Fascinating!
Thanks, V, now I won't get any work done today for sure!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2009, 09:22:58 AM »

Fascinating!
Thanks, V, now I won't get any work done today for sure!
Your most welcome

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »

wonderful as the advice may bein some of these thext, the problem was they (and the whole of chinese society) became dogma making it very difficult for social and economic evolution.... there was some point to Mao's cultural revolution (even though it threw out the baby as well as teh bathwater)

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2009, 11:26:52 AM »

well I have read The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Internal Medicine.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »

its a little known fact that the Yellow Emperor was actually a german with jaundice seeking a cure...

Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »

wonderful as the advice may bein some of these thext, the problem was they (and the whole of chinese society) became dogma making it very difficult for social and economic evolution.... there was some point to Mao's cultural revolution (even though it threw out the baby as well as teh bathwater)
I agree, it is good to read about cultures/civilisations and to learn what they did right but foremost what they did wrong. A to rigid civil structure leads to decent and unrest, it promotes classes and forget to care about the vulnerable.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »

its all about not repeating wrong, right?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: