partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 07:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  one coach or more?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: one coach or more?  (Read 5670 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 11:57:15 AM »

I did one coaching session with my old pro - and he charged half rate.  What galls a bit though is that for some of it, the coach taught us both!  I do think it gets a bit rediculous.  External coaching sessions (pro with external coach) should not be necessary at syllabus levels - else why is your pro teaching at all if s/he can not do so up to gold?  They can be useful at higher levels - and IMO at that point the pro/am relationship has changed from just one of student/teacher to also a partnership - and external coaches should be encouraged to look at the partnershp aspect, not the teaching one.  Again, IMO I don't think the pro should charge at all and see it as an opportunity to improve their dancing. 

Note that once you get to open (schollarship) in pro/am you are have to take many lessons and you may be paying for your pro's trips to competitions by yourself.

I disagree with you here, I found coaching extremely helpful (we do it every couple of months or so), and btw, even for the silver level, we still mostly work on things like technique and partnership. Also, I disagree that he should not charge - it is still his time and it's not like he is not an active participant. It's nice if he gives you a break, but I don't think he is morally obligated to do so.
dancingfool
Intermediate Bronze

I am Canadian!

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »

I compete in Open Pro-Am and my Pro never charges a fee when I have coaching sessions.

Like you say - at this level we are really working on partnership and less on syllabus.

He is of the same opinion as ED.  He gets to work with high-level coaches for free and learns and improves his own dancing.
And this is someone who is already an excellent teacher.  It is so great to work with a dance professional who is continually working on their own dance skills. 

If you aren't on your way out to dance then you are going the wrong way...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 09:11:40 AM »

the more the merrier I say. well to have a regular one and guest ones is always good..what do others think about that?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 09:40:07 AM »

I believe 1 main coach/teacher. but then together get coaching. or if my main coach tells me I need coaching then go to whomever he thinks will help me most.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 08:30:16 AM »

Different coaches for different things.  When I start getting too technical and start losing my way my teacher brings in this coach from T.O. and he gives me a tune up, brings back my musicality and my flow.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 11:04:44 PM »

We have four, two female (latin & standard) and two male (latin & stanadard) and realize you need both points of view.  If we did just one style then we would have just one male and female with perhaps a guest one now and then.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 12:10:32 AM »

We have four, two female (latin & standard) and two male (latin & stanadard) and realize you need both points of view.  If we did just one style then we would have just one male and female with perhaps a guest one now and then.   

Sounds to me like you are on a good path there.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 04:27:44 AM »

But R, are these coaches also dance partners with common training?  In which case the training may not be quite as diverse..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »

they are a very diverse lot EE. not only in teaching style but also in age. I will take two different points of view well taught  over one any day. let me also state that I am a very good dance monkey: I copy well but understand little.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 10:36:24 PM »

blue tango: who would that coach from toronto be?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 11:08:02 PM »

they are a very diverse lot EE. not only in teaching style but also in age. I will take two different points of view well taught  over one any day. let me also state that I am a very good dance monkey: I copy well but understand little.

if you are a 'dance monkey' (your term Wink) then what do you do when the two coaches teachings are very different?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 11:24:41 PM »

Ask his partner to explain.  Grin

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 06:18:49 AM »

Cheesy
yes, and she's no dance monkey ....

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 10:37:12 PM »

by dance monkey I mean only that ,in general, I can copy new concepts if shown properly even though I dont understand . perhaps I am being mean to the monkey
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 10:47:56 PM »

Ah, monkey see, monkey do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: