partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 07:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  one coach or more?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: one coach or more?  (Read 5387 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: May 31, 2009, 08:12:05 AM »

this was raised in the costs topic.

The question can be phrased two ways (note these pertain to a single dance style and to a long-term relationship, not a one-off visiting superstar):
A. Is it a good idea to work with multiple coaches at the same time

B. Should you change coaches and if so, how frequently?

thus,
A. I'm a one-coach girl Smiley  IMO if you have two coaches one is (in general) either better or suits you better.  OK there may be some areas where the other is but I don't hink its worth it to have conflicting information.

B. OTOH I do think its a good idea to change coaches but again for me this occurs very intermittently - a matter of several years when its apparent that you have reached 'diminishing returns'.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:28:43 AM »

Heh... you're like psychic.  Ask and ye shall receive, even before ye ask.

Okay, I've had many a coach, my main coach feels that getting knowledge from lots of different sources helps you better find your own personal style.  Which is really hard when you're fairly new and pliable as a dancer.  She was pushing me to find my own style and all I could think of was to dance exactly like whoever was teaching me.  However I am developing into my own dancer, it was either that or go dance schizophrenic. 

I have had both flavours of multiple coach; both the one off and the long term.  I have to say if you can get coaching from a visiting superstar do it, it's worth it for the inspiration alone.  As for the technique, I'd say that your body gets it way more than your mind does and it tends to pop out at weird intervals afterward.  For long term multiple coaches, I figure if you're going to go that way you had better be prepared for a preliminary stretch of training your trainer.  In relation to ED being a one coach girl I can totally agree with the point because you will get conflicting information and don't expect any slack if you say to one coach that you think the technique is this particular way.  There was (and often still are) times when I could have sworn that the way I was told to do a specific thing was diametrically opposed to the way I was being taught.  Experience has taught me that yes, there were these times, but sometimes it was simply because I didn't hear what the other coach had to say as they meant it to be said.

Which brings me to one of the pros of multiple pros.  Have you ever had your main coach trying to teach you something and it's taking forever to sink in?  Sometimes that's because you and your coach have a relationship, almost a routine in the way you learn.  Sometimes this gets in the way.  I have had, more than once, gone to a different coach who spent ten minutes with me and poof I had the thing that had previously eluded me.  Sometimes a new person can give a new perspective that makes it easier to 'get' something.  And other times the second coach will say the exact same words as your first coach but you hear it differently.  I come back to my main coach and she has the usual mix of emotions: part exasperation that I couldn't get it with her but a much bigger part of relief that we can move on to other things. 

There is one interesting side affect of having many coaches.  I have not been to a competition were I did have at least one judge who had not had a hand in my training.  It gives a kind of warm feeling but they also tend to really know what to look for in your dancing.  At one comp I had a judge come talk to me after and tell me he was glad I wasn't making that mistake I tended to make on the double reverse anymore.  Gah.   Grin
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:21:42 PM »

Obviously, as a pro-am competitor, I mainly take lessons with one teacher. Occasionally I may take a lesson or two with someone else, especially if I will not have an opportunity to dance with my teacher for a while. But I will not go to just anyone for that. That's better be someone really experienced.

My teacher also arranges for us to have coaching with different higher-level teachers. We have one who works with us on a regular basis, and we had a few who were more of a one-time visitor.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »

if you don't mind me asking, what does he charge when you have a coach?  Do you now pay two fees concurrently?

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »

thats a good question ED.  by the way, are you charged double if you take a lesson with your pro with a more renowned teacher ? Is there no end to the scam in dance instruction? hmmm ... pro-am  or pro-scam.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »

I find it interesting why we change coaches or teachers. For personal reasons, unrelated to teaching ability we dropped a coach. I would like to return to him because of his knowledge but wont for a bit. Sometimes we change because of age. Lately the average age of our teachers has dropped dramatically simply because they dance more with each of us and their approach is very modern. I think the best combination in a teacher is someone who is still taking lessons themselves yet mature enough to recognize and repair problems. If that teacher still dances frequently with a partner then even better!
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 10:12:22 PM »

I dance pro-am.
I take lessons with my teacher AND a coach. And yes, I pay double. However, I always feel that by having my teacher/partner on the lesson with the coach there is always a "check back" factor. That means that 2 weeks after the coaching, he will remember and "translate" if I forget.
To me, it makes it worth every penny.

My primary training is in the body school of dancing. But for awhile, I was with a different pro, from a different school. It never felt quite right---I just didn't "get it". He is a good techer and a nice guy. But time goes on and I am "back home"now.
With that said, I am glad it all happened that way, because I have a better understanding of another way.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:21:50 PM »

skipper : try using video  (if they let you!) then you wont need a reminder. I declare if dance instructors knew how to charge you three times for the same information they would do it in a syncopated heartbeat.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 10:32:48 PM »

I do know some friends that are being taken advantage of.  Though I have heard some instructors laugh at how the students are their cash cows it doesn't mean they are all like that.  We just have to be careful that we are not being taken by the ones that are.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 10:36:36 PM »

skipper : try using video  (if they let you!) then you wont need a reminder. I declare if dance instructors knew how to charge you three times for the same information they would do it in a syncopated heartbeat.

Some of them might.

My pro's actually pretty reasonable when it comes to coachings.  Yes, I have to pay him, but only half his rate.  He says that it's not fair to charge his full rate when he's not teaching me and is basically a body there for me to dance with--and he may be getting corrections from the coach as well.  That's what happened at our last coaching; not only did the coach dance with me himself, so my pro wasn't even dancing the whole lesson with me, but the coach had some things to tell him as well.

A lot of teachers even at my same studio don't do that, so I really appreciate that about my pro.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »

if you don't mind me asking, what does he charge when you have a coach?  Do you now pay two fees concurrently?
Yes
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »

Some of them might.

My pro's actually pretty reasonable when it comes to coachings.  Yes, I have to pay him, but only half his rate.  He says that it's not fair to charge his full rate when he's not teaching me and is basically a body there for me to dance with--and he may be getting corrections from the coach as well.  That's what happened at our last coaching; not only did the coach dance with me himself, so my pro wasn't even dancing the whole lesson with me, but the coach had some things to tell him as well.

A lot of teachers even at my same studio don't do that, so I really appreciate that about my pro.
That happens to us, too. And probably will happen even more often, as we get closer to the point when we will do more open events (where we are judged as a team, not just me).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 03:15:54 AM »

I did one coaching session with my old pro - and he charged half rate.  What galls a bit though is that for some of it, the coach taught us both!  I do think it gets a bit rediculous.  External coaching sessions (pro with external coach) should not be necessary at syllabus levels - else why is your pro teaching at all if s/he can not do so up to gold?  They can be useful at higher levels - and IMO at that point the pro/am relationship has changed from just one of student/teacher to also a partnership - and external coaches should be encouraged to look at the partnershp aspect, not the teaching one.  Again, IMO I don't think the pro should charge at all and see it as an opportunity to improve their dancing. 

Note that once you get to open (schollarship) in pro/am you are have to take many lessons and you may be paying for your pro's trips to competitions by yourself.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:07:11 AM by elisedance » Logged

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 04:59:10 AM »

I have two coaches, one for my new vouge and another for my modern. they compliment each other and I really enjoy both of them. I dont think it is good for me to have someone teaching me both. I see that there is more than one way to learn to day and I am trying a few different styles

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »

I used to have 2 coaches as well, one for New Vogue and another for Modern. They happen to be dance partners themselves, so their styles are very much alike.
But at the moment I only have 1 coach and we combine the two styles in one lesson. It's good in a way that we can adopt what we learnt from one style into the other and have our coach seeing it as we make the connection between styles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: