partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 05:47:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  So You Think You Can Dance
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: So You Think You Can Dance  (Read 2847 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 09:04:15 PM »

Charlotte and I were talking about that last night -- we don't think they ever showed Johanthan's audition.

I wonder why MOIB doesn't do a live chat for SYTYCD?  Actually, I think they're on vacation this week.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »

Maybe we should suggest one!  I remember thinking the same thing during last season...
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 09:33:31 PM »

Was that the AT couple that was on Superstars of Dance?  I thought I recognized their names, and they look like that couple.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 09:37:55 PM »

Was that the AT couple that was on Superstars of Dance?  I thought I recognized their names, and they look like that couple.

Yes, that was them.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »

They thought Vitolio didn't dance his best tonight?! Huh  I thought his solo was the best of the night!
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »

Tony and Paris are out.  Tony doesn't surprise me; it's looking like he was a one-trick pony.  I was surprised at Paris being eliminated because I thought she was one of the judges' favorites.  Interesting comment Nigel made, though, alluding to the fact that this group is very short on ballroom dancers and that was a factor in their decision.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 10:04:38 PM »

I noticed that too.  Good to finally see them recognizing that instead of just eliminating the ballroomers off the cuff like they have so often previously.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »

while I think dancing of any form is a sport and one can master their craft .... something about ballroom (partner dance) takes it to another level for me. There has to be some understanding of "judges" that ballroom is not just about what you can do as an individual. There is to much with connection of your partner that plays a bigger role that as a single dancer. Even ballet couples do not go through what a ballroom couple does. (outside of lifts - AND I can say this as a former ballerina)

I don't know quite how to put my finger on it to describe it in words that will make sense.

While 2 people bring it to the table they can not do it alone. SO it makes it much more difficult (IMHO) to accomplish a great craft. I mean look at some of the pairings over time. Some work and others didn't. Not because these dancers were not excellent on their own. they are but together well .... it just takes MORE.

Does this make any sense?

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 11:19:12 AM »

Yes, ED, it makes sense. 

Aaron and Christine, the two instructors from our studio who auditioned in Memphis, said that Mary was being really rough on the ballroom dancers during the auditions.  And I've noticed before that the other judges tend to defer to her opinion when it comes to ballroom dancers.  (When Mia's on the panel, they defer to her opinion on the modern dancers.)  You'll notice from MC's list that no standard/smooth dancers made it this time -- our ballroom contingent consists of two Latin dancers and two salsa dancers.  I'm starting to think that Mary was tougher on the ballroom dancers than she was on the dancers from other styles during this season's auditions, and she inadvertently made the group short on ballroom dancers, and now they are scrambling to make sure they don't lose the few they have in the first few weeks.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 02:31:29 AM »

Well, no Smooth/Standard dancers have EVER made it onto the show.  In fact, they've never even shown a Smooth/Standard audition, so we don't even know if any of those couples have tried out.  Ballroom is always Latin-based for some reason (on DWTS too!).

If Mary was tougher on the ballroom couples this year, I think it was probably because the bar has been set so high in the past--first Dmitry, then Pasha and Anya, who were Open Professional national finalists.  Unless we can get the likes of Emmanuel Pierre-Antoine or Delyan Terziev and Boriana Deltcheva (or some other similar-level couple) on the show, ballroom dancers just aren't going to be able to measure up to past seasons' ballroomers.  It's not their fault, there's nothing they can do about it.  It's just the way this cookie has crumbled.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 10:06:50 AM »

still have not got to see your series, ours starts in a two weeks time.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 08:28:22 PM »

Argh...bad weather that's nowhere near me has interrupted my SYTYCD broadcast this week.  Just missed everything from Melissa and Ade.  So annoying!  If I wanted a weather update I'd turn on the Weather Channel!
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »

Who is this strange woman assisting Tony Meredith?  What happened to Melanie???
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 10:52:51 PM »

I like contemporary dancing but after awhile, since they always have so many, it gets to look the same.  They are oviously partial to that style of dance.  The solos are totally repetitive.  Now instead of being wowed by what they do I'm thinking how it's become "been there seen that".   They need to let other styles go through. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »

Sigh... both of the cuts tonight were ballroom dancers... Johnathan and Asuka.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: