partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 07:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  So You Think You Can Dance
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: So You Think You Can Dance  (Read 2790 times)
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« on: May 28, 2009, 08:36:07 PM »

So, who's been watching it?

TOTALLY impressed tonight with the Asian Latin couple--Ricky and Oska I think, although I'm sure I misspelled that.

And what's up with the 17 year old not making it?  I thought you only had to be 16 to make this show--wasn't that the deal with Lauren a couple seasons ago?
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »

And what's up with the 17 year old not making it?  I thought you only had to be 16 to make this show--wasn't that the deal with Lauren a couple seasons ago?

That's what I thought too, but apparently the rules have changed. 

MC, do you remember the Rocket City instructors Aaron and Christine?  They auditioned in Memphis.  They made it past the producer's cut and onstage in front of the judges, but they didn't make it to Vegas. 
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:42:30 AM »

Wow!  I missed the first couple episodes while I was in Charleston, did their audition make it onto TV?

We definitely need to have a little chat about that... Wink
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 09:43:28 AM »

I'm watching it an am really impressed with the level of dancing this season. It seems to be getting better and better. I think it's cool that so many dancers who previously made it to Vegas but not the finals came back after more training. Shows me that dance is their passion. I love this show!

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:12:25 AM »

did not watch the last series here. must tape it next time. the judges annoy me..... taping I can skip through what they have to say and just look at the dancing

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »

Wow!  I missed the first couple episodes while I was in Charleston, did their audition make it onto TV?

No it didn't, unfortunately.  After they came back, they were debating as to whether they want to try again.  Aaron does; Christine isn't sure. 

We definitely need to have a little chat about that... Wink

We sure do!  I'll send you a PM this weekend.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 01:02:14 PM »

My former pro (a US Rising Star Rhythm champion) told me once that apparently every time he sees Mary Murphy at a competition, she tells him to try out for the show.  I told him he definitely should!  He went to BYU for dance, so he's had the cross-training that would help out a lot on this show, plus he's just got a TV personality, LOL...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »

Aaron told me that in Memphis, there were an enormous number of contemporary and hip-hop dancers, and not that many ballroom or ballet daners.  We had another student who also tried out, doing a contemporary routine; she didn't make it past the producer's cut.  She told me that next time she tries out, she's going to do ballroom, because she thinks it's easier for a ballroom dancer to stand out from the crowd. 

(BTW, I don't know how many people know this; I didn't know it until Aaron told me.  The first time that the dancers stand in front of Nigel and the other celebrity judges is actually the second round.  The first round is a producer's cut round where production assistants do the judging; that round is not taped.  Aaron figures that they cut about 75% of the dancers in the producer's cut in Memphis.  The producer's cut doesn't always advance the best dancers; sometimes they advance someone just because they think it will make good TV, like that long-haired guy who tries out every season and calls himself "Sex".  This is an aspect of the show I'm not fond of; possibly the producers are cutting good dancers in order to advance wackos for cheap laughs.  But I guess that's the TV biz.)
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »

Uh, Alex Wong?  Top 20 for sure!  Wow...
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »

One comment re: Alex Wong--DAGNABBIT!!! (There's another Southern phrase for ya...)

We've got a salsa girl, a ballroom girl, and a ballroom guy in the top 20.  I'm satisfied with that, although I'm bummed that Riki didn't make it.  Now let's just hope one (or more) of them don't get cut the first week, as has happened way too many times in the past...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 02:12:27 AM »

Which one is the ballroom guy?

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »

We also have a salsa guy. Our 4 are:

http://fox.com/blogs/dance/2009/06/05/top-20-season-5-so-you-think-you-can-dance/

Asuka Kondoh
Dance Specialty: Latin Ballroom

Janette Manrara
Dance Specialty: Salsa

Max Kapitannikov
Dance Specialty: Latin Ballroom

Jonathan Platero
Dance Specialty: Salsa

Good luck to all of them!!!

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »

Did we see ANYTHING about Jonathan prior to now?  Because I sure don't remember him.

And Mia Michaels--you are NOT God's gift to dance.  That is all.
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »

Oooh, but she won an Emmy, doncha know.

I have to admit, I do like most of her choreography, though.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 02:16:06 AM »

Oooh, but she won an Emmy, doncha know.

I have to admit, I do like most of her choreography, though.

Me too, always different and very interesting.  More an emotional type of choreography.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: