partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 04:45:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Amateur (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  How many hours do you practise a week?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: How many hours do you practise a week?  (Read 5098 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2009, 06:12:40 AM »

Thanks CSN. I know David and Ann quite well. 

We must have seen each other at the YCC then - I've been going there for about 4 years - and often first thing on a sunday morning. 

Which gym do you practise at?  I don't think I've heard of that one...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2009, 07:08:07 AM »

after finding a partner,
i now train 10 hours a week, with about 3 hours of lessons with my partner, then 2 hours of lessons with my old coach so i can keep up in standard

only competing in pre-amateur and amateur latin now  Smiley

Glad things how turned out good for you. Smiley

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2009, 02:13:51 AM »

We used to go to the Yellowbird all the time when we were down for the weekends but we don't travel to that area much any more.  I did get my video camera stolen out of the car when we were in for a meal so after that I parked closer to the cafe entrance so I could keep an eye on the car.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2009, 03:20:51 AM »

We used to go to the Yellowbird all the time when we were down for the weekends but we don't travel to that area much any more.  I did get my video camera stolen out of the car when we were in for a meal so after that I parked closer to the cafe entrance so I could keep an eye on the car.

Yellowbird?  Where is that one? (we were talking of the yellow cup cafe).  goodie, more breakfasts to discover Smiley

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2009, 07:02:56 PM »

Yep, not always good to look the other way and watch t.v. as you type.  They were talking about birds on t.v. and I accidentally typed yellowbird instead of yellow cup.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »

Cheesy

glad it wasn't a program on skiiing ........................................ Smiley

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2009, 04:45:13 AM »

how many hours is the excepted for training. I know if you are at university  for every hour of contact time you need to put in two hours of homework. I wonder if this applies to dancing....?

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »

I think that came up before.  It depends also, I think, on how well you work together as a partnership and with other media.  We do much less than that (lessons to practise) I would say 1 lesson to 5-10 hrs practise.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2009, 05:09:14 AM »

I am sure.....I don't think it would be a direct formula... We do three to four hours practice to an hour lesson

Dance Forum
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2009, 05:55:33 PM »

I was talking to my friend Leon the other day about dancing and about becoming an expert in general.  He was saying he read a report which suggested it takes about 2200 hrs of work/study/practice at anything in order to become expert at it.  Whether that be plumber, doctor, dancer etc.

I argued the point but I get the  idea.  Some people don't progress, so the numbers are meaningless there. It's like the person saying they have 22 yrs experience, but in reality have 1 year experience 22 times.

But I think as long as I continue to progress then the tine invested in worth it. And in the case of dancing the time invested is where the fun is...

My goal is the world championships in 3 years, God willing. I've found a great partner and we've developed a good working relationship, but the future is never sure, is it?  Injury, accidents, you never know what life will bring, but that's the plan. If I can keep this level of commitment and our collective health holds out, we just might be able to progress that far, that fast. No hurry, if it takes 5 years that's fine too, it's just a goal.  The enjoyment will be in practicing, getting better, competing, pushing our personal limits...

Currently I'm practicing 2 hrs a day, 7 days a week and then social dancing on top of that. That was in preparation for the competition this weekend, I'll slack off a bit and relax for a while but will still practice daily...

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2009, 06:01:19 PM »

I could definitely see that.  Course, makes me hate the rare exceptions I see even more.  Smiley
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »

I could definitely see that.  Course, makes me hate the rare exceptions I see even more.  Smiley

ooo have not seen ept for awhile has he gone away for work?

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 06:09:24 AM »

I dropped him a line but he did not reply...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2010, 11:00:47 PM »

well I am sure he will pop in when he is ready.....

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2013, 11:10:54 AM »

Currently I'm practicing 2 hrs a day, 7 days a week and then social dancing on top of that. That was in preparation for the competition this weekend, I'll slack off a bit and relax for a while but will still practice daily...

Interesting.  Not @cdnsalsanut (as  I don't know if he's still around ...)   Just curious about whether people think that every day practice is needed/beneficial.  I like the idea of having a day off during the week, to refresh mentally and physically.

Also curious as to whether there are sometimes conflicts caused by a partner's schedule/limits on their ability to practice.  And do the am/ams here supplement couples practice with solo practice?

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: