partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 11:51:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Amateur (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  How many hours do you practise a week?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: How many hours do you practise a week?  (Read 4827 times)
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »

Interesting.  Not @cdnsalsanut (as  I don't know if he's still around ...)   Just curious about whether people think that every day practice is needed/beneficial.  I like the idea of having a day off during the week, to refresh mentally and physically.

Also curious as to whether there are sometimes conflicts caused by a partner's schedule/limits on their ability to practice.  And do the am/ams here supplement couples practice with solo practice?

I remember that this is a pretty well established athletic fact - working on the same muscle group EVERYDAY is counter productive. So normally we try to work on different things.

Normally we try to max out practice time, I always felt that practice time was not enough - I could always use some more work on something.

From  what I have known and heard, yes. But normally it is related to goal/commitment (I mean, they are kinda the two sides of a coin).

And my partner and I do solo practices, for both styles. You kinda have to anyway. This is really for Latin: When I connect with my partner, I always felt really really distracted - so many info coming in through the connection, and so many tiny adjustment. Of course, the lighter the connection, the less distracted I am (so that is what we worked on, too: What is the minimum energy needed to do all the stuff?). Anyway, if I am distracted by the connection, I couldn't focus on, say, my hip action, and I felt that the quality is getting worse. So I have to practice my hip action, before hand, by myself.

One of my coaches said that with lighter connection, people could dance their body more. And he told me that my connection was really light (well, sufficient to tell him where and when I am going).

Also, there are things that one just have to work on by oneself, and there is no way around it. I mean, I could have a list on what I have to work on (by myself) right now - I imagine everyone could.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »

...pro/am ers do it far less often..  Roll Eyes

I'm down to 1.5hrs lesson/practise per week.... I'm still learning tho (I also walk ~20 kM/wk during which I think and move my practises...)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »

Wow MZ - I'm impressed.  You guys are going to go far.... Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2013, 12:25:24 PM »

Eh...not really. Well, we WENT quite far, that was for sure  Grin
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2013, 09:25:33 PM »

We practice everyday for an 1 1/2 hours...with this we start on our own warming up and going through routines on our own. Then we come together. We do two styles (NV & STD) of dance so we alternate nights working on they styles we do.  We have a lesson on Mondays and then run through the changes on the Tuesday. Wednesday we will go through our Modern and break down pieces and do the whole routine at the end.

Thursday again we run through NV  1/2 and 1/2 Modern as we have a lesson on Friday night that is modern. Saturday we go social dancing on Two Saturdays of the months where we dance the whole routine. on other Saturdays we go and practice and do what we do on Thursday.

so I think that would be between10-15 hours a week

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2013, 09:29:24 PM »

You take Sundays off?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia